OBD Fault Codes 97 SW - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 26th, 2015, 08:13 PM
mlorman
Mark Lorman
95 ST #2782

OBD Fault Codes 97 SW

My new SW arrived last week, and failed a smog check.

OBD fault codes were as follows

P0300 Random/Multiple Misfire Detected
P0308 Misfire Detected (cylinder 8)
P1316 Manufacturer Specific Code

The guy at the smog station pointed out the check engine light was not working (Is this the code P1316?)

I remove the dash panel and found the check engine bulb was not in place. It may have fallen out, or who knows? I moved the bulb from the seatbelt light to the check engine light and it lit up. We cleared the code and drove it, the light came back on.

Previous owner replaced the spark plug wires last year. My mechanic thought maybe it was a bad or loose plug, so he swapped #8 with #5. He drove it for 10 miles and the light came on again. Same codes came up.

Any ideas or thoughts?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 26th, 2015, 08:33 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlorman View Post
My new SW arrived last week, and failed a smog check.

OBD fault codes were as follows

P0300 Random/Multiple Misfire Detected
P0308 Misfire Detected (cylinder 8)
P1316 Manufacturer Specific Code

The guy at the smog station pointed out the check engine light was not working (Is this the code P1316?)

I remove the dash panel and found the check engine bulb was not in place. It may have fallen out, or who knows? I moved the bulb from the seatbelt light to the check engine light and it lit up. We cleared the code and drove it, the light came back on.

Previous owner replaced the spark plug wires last year. My mechanic thought maybe it was a bad or loose plug, so he swapped #8 with #5. He drove it for 10 miles and the light came on again. Same codes came up.

Any ideas or thoughts?
Thanks
Did you buy it from a dealer or privately?

Those bulbs don't just fall out!

I guess your mechanic doesn't even try using google when he's guessing what to charge you to replace. 2 seconds and I found P1316 means 'Misfire causing excess emissions (NAS only)'

Probably someone thought it probably needed coil packs and at $500 though they'd let the next owner deal with it by removing the bulb.

You can test the leads with a resistance meter ... test a good one to get a base reading and then compare to the lead on #8.

I recently had a faulty lead causing ll sorts of problems on my truck so even if they are fresh ... doesn't mean they aren't faulty.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old January 26th, 2015, 08:44 PM
mlorman
Mark Lorman
95 ST #2782

Private party. I agree on the light, but I didn't want to make accusations. I will have him check the coils. The crazy thing is that it runs great. I can hardly feel the misfire. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 26th, 2015, 08:48 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...997+sw+misfire
Old January 26th, 2015, 10:36 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Oh yeah. Buy an oscilloscope!
Old January 27th, 2015, 01:50 AM
psykokid
Jake
1997 Disco

My 97 disco likes to throw that combo of codes except my misfire is on #3. 1316 is a cat code, saying that your misfires are likely to cause cat damage if left unchecked. I need to refresh the valvetrain on my truck and things are getting a bit sloppy but the following pre-smog ritual always keeps the CEL at bay long enough to pass smog:

New plugs gapped appropriately (I use the cheapo champion 318's)
I clean the MAF, IAC and throttlebody.
Change the engine oil
Toss a bottle of the white lucas fuel system cleaner into the tank.

Doing this keeps the CEL at bay for about 2 tanks of gas which should be plenty to get the readiness codes to reset and be good to pass smog.

Are the wires OEM or something else? I've got the kingsbourne wires on my truck and for they price they're a really good set of wires. They ship out of San Diego so I had them the next day when I ordered them.

If you want to check the coil pack, i have a known good working set you can give a shot if you like.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 27th, 2015, 08:02 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
The good thing is it sounds like pretty common 97 obd challenges which can be narrowed down. But it's never fun to get these disappointing surprises.

General Question: do car faxes show previous smog test failures? If so, would be interesting.

Clay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 27th, 2015, 10:35 AM
mlorman
Mark Lorman
95 ST #2782

Carfax was clear. Only shows date of inspections / services. Truck was purchased from Copely 5 years ago then moved to Texas. To the best of my knowledge, TX only requires emmissions testing in certain counties. I may be wrong.
Thanks
Old January 29th, 2015, 07:24 PM
mlorman
Mark Lorman
95 ST #2782

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2035401591.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	428.4 KB
ID:	112311
Old January 29th, 2015, 07:47 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Broken lead. Easy fix.
Old January 29th, 2015, 08:27 PM
mlorman
Mark Lorman
95 ST #2782

Replaced and passed smog. Thanks

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags