O2 Sensor Removal w/ LRT-12-047 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 5th, 2008, 01:33 PM
pcscharfe
pcdefender
D90/NAS 110

Thumbs up O2 Sensor Removal w/ LRT-12-047

I am swapping out my Cats + Y-Pipe and looked through the Service Manual to make sure I wasnt missing any info... I stumbled across this tool for the removal of the O2 sensors: LRT-12-047. Looks handy -- but I am sure that it is not a necessity. I thought I would see what others have done.

Anyone have/use this tool?
Any other tricks/advice to get it done without the tool?

ALSO: is it imperative to fit a new sealing washer after swapping the sensors into the new pipes -- i was planning on reusing the old ones?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	O2TOOL.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	16176  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 5th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Hmm, on my 94 ST I used a 17mm wrench, space was limited but it worked, have yet to touch the O2's on the 97, wish I could help.

Neil

Robert Deniro
Old November 6th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Tim Scully
Tim Scully
95 D90 SW/ 95 RR LWB

x2 on the 17mm wrench! That is what I always use
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 6th, 2008, 10:41 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
x3 on the 17mm open spanner.

Not to sidetrack the thread too much, but I had an O2 sensor pop out the Y-Pipe the other night. And the other side was loose too. I had swapped the Y-Pipe over the summer and didn't have a sealing washer on either sides when I pulled them from the stock Y-Pipe.

So whats the best install procedure?
- Anti-seeze on the threads (I saw this when I was STFA on O2)
- Sealing washer - anyone have a part number?
- using a 17mm spanner - get as tight as you can considering the confines?

Thanks in advance!
Old November 6th, 2008, 11:10 AM
pcscharfe
pcdefender
D90/NAS 110

I figured it was pretty simple -- thanks for the input guys. That tool must be used to achieve more accurate torque values in such a tight spot.

Don,

I am also curious about the sealing washer. Not sure if it needs to be replaced when putting 12-year old O2 sensors back into a new Y-Pipe. I would love to get my hands on 4 of those if someone has a source.
Old November 6th, 2008, 11:20 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Its easy for the 93-95 Defender guys to say 17mm open wrench, but lets put them onto a 1997.

The Y pipe on a 97 has the O2 sensors in a depression and if they are stuck a 17mm wrench may or may not work because with an open wrench you can only get to a very small portion of the sensor itself. Usually doable, but if they are really stuck it can be a bitch.

I don't think you need that Rover contraption, but a 17mm O2 sensor socket (deep socket with a slit up the side for the wires) sure is nice sometimes.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old November 6th, 2008, 01:41 PM
pcscharfe
pcdefender
D90/NAS 110

That's the info I was looking for...

Mike - what about the sealing washers? The shop manual says replace, but seems like a difficult part to source. Is it a necessity? If so, do you have a part# or a source?

Thanks!

Follow-up Post:

This must be what you are referring to. 17mm deep socket with slotted side to clear the wires. Sounds like another tool to add to the kit... if i can find it.
Attached Images

Old November 8th, 2008, 11:27 AM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

[QUOTE=ECR]Its easy for the 93-95 Defender guys to say 17mm open wrench, but lets put them onto a 1997.

The Y pipe on a 97 has the O2 sensors in a depression and if they are stuck a 17mm wrench may or may not work because with an open wrench you can only get to a very small portion of the sensor itself. Usually doable, but if they are really stuck it can be a bitch.

I don't think you need that Rover contraption, but a 17mm O2 sensor socket (deep socket with a slit up the side for the wires) sure is nice sometimes. [/QUOTE=ECR]

I cut the wires close to the O2 sensor and used a 17mm deep socket.
Old November 12th, 2008, 01:23 PM
pcscharfe
pcdefender
D90/NAS 110

O2 sensors were no problem with a standard 17mm open wrench.

However, removing the seized bolts from the exhaust manifold to disconnect the factory y-pipe was altogether different.

Next time I'd soak the bolts overnight in PB Blaster before attempting -- that would have saved me a lot of time and frustration. Not to mention the money i had to pay the local muffler guy to drill out the sheered bolt and finish what i started....

Oh well, lesson learned.
Old November 13th, 2008, 12:30 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcscharfe
O2 sensors were no problem with a standard 17mm open wrench.

However, removing the seized bolts from the exhaust manifold to disconnect the factory y-pipe was altogether different.

Next time I'd soak the bolts overnight in PB Blaster before attempting -- that would have saved me a lot of time and frustration. Not to mention the money i had to pay the local muffler guy to drill out the sheered bolt and finish what i started....

Oh well, lesson learned.
Same here. I think it is becuase of the locking nuts. I sheared 2 studs and then was a lot more careful on how I took the rest out - loosen a turn, then tighten a turn, loosen 2 turn, tighten and so on.

My right side O2 sensor still had a washer. I took it back out to get some anti-seeze on the threads. I have to get some time to redo the left. I have a mental note to keep an eye on both of them to keep them tight. Truck runs a bit better when they are tight :D

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
sensor