Defender Source Forum banner

NY DMV Inspection for imported 110

2K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  tjfslaughter 
#1 ·
Folks,
Trying to get NYS DMV inspection done for my imported 1988 110 diesel Perentie from Australia. Shops I called say they don't see the vin on their computer and don't know what to do. Has any one done DMV inspection for a defender older than 25 years in NY? Any Long Islanders can advice on locations that do this?

Thanks.

#4 ·
Yes. Even the Land Rover dealer has no idea how to deal with this.

------ Follow up post added October 21st, 2016 09:38 AM ------

I have an 85 110 ROW that I got in May and used the local shop on Long Island that I use for my other cars. After a little explaining that the VIN is under the hood and that it will likely not show up on his system (he had to type it in manually) he printed my sticker. Just a simple safety inspection w/o emissions.
Can you let me know which shop did this so I don't have to do a education session for these guys? Was your diesel? Thanks.

#3 ·
Inspection

I have an 85 110 ROW that I got in May and used the local shop on Long Island that I use for my other cars. After a little explaining that the VIN is under the hood and that it will likely not show up on his system (he had to type it in manually) he printed my sticker. Just a simple safety inspection w/o emissions.

#7 ·
yeah, I didn't do it on LI, I was in Westchester, but I've had it inspected at both my local gas station and a MAACO (it was a sunday, what other option did I have?). Once mentioning it was 25+ and imported, and that they would just have to manually enter the model info, they were good to go.

IF you fail with the previously mentioned shop, message user Tijnes on here. He's probably on his 15th truck registered out on LI. He's near Southampton.

#10 ·
I took my formerly-French '89 110 to Rover Repair NYC aka Sports and Classics on 73 and 74th east of York. They always have several defenders in the shop (including an AA yellow 90 for sale now). I've had them do a fair amount of work and while they aren't cheap, they are convenient for people living in the city, especially since they'll pick up and deliver. Of course, it's more fun to go up and see what they're working on.

I assume the NYS inspection is $25 no matter where you get it done. I don't know what system they may or may not have plugged the VIN into, but it certainly didn't create an issue (neither, as it happens, did my e-code headlights.)

Louis is the guy up front and Rich leads the mechanics in back.

#12 ·
Shops don't make money off of an inspection (unless they try to fix something) and historically try to turn people away that show up for an inspection only. Find a place that isn't annoying to deal with and go back every year. Between 116th and 120th street on first avenue there are two gas stations that will have you in and out in five minutes. It is hit or miss in the suburbs. Yes, they need to enter the data manually which adds an additional minute. These defenders are emissions exempt in NY and make a point to tell them it is only a safety inspection.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.