Defender Source Forum banner

Number of splines on rear half shafts Defender 90

3K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Red90 
#1 ·
I am planning to install an ARB or Detroit locker on the rear on my 1987 Defender 90. I need it because I use the truck to occasionally plow the snow off my driveway.

I pulled of the dust cap off and the shaft has 24 splines. Does that mean the differential end is also 24 splines?

#2 ·
No. All shafts are 24 spline at the wheel. You need to pull it. Regardless you want a 24 spline diff and aftermarket 24 spline shafts. You do not want to use any stock shafts. They are all to weak for lockers.

#11 · (Edited)
keep the stock shafts. upgrade them another time.

there's no "need" to get hd axle shafts as long as you keep the force at the axle below its yield point.

at your next service interval, you can examine your axles to see how much they have twisted over time.

if you're just using the lockers for low friction situations (ice and snow, climbing up loose dirt, etc), imho your stock axles should be plenty.

#5 ·
Guess I've been lucky. I have stock shafts with a Detroit locker. Daily commuting/family rearing and in extensive off road conditions (rock, heavy mud, snow) for the past 12 years/120k miles. I use 33inch tires (255x85's) and heavy duty wolf steel wheels. Check out this pic of my front drive shaft that twisted in two while in some heavy mud pit 10 years ago. Original shafts still in the truck. I'd recommend pulling your stock axles, scoring a line down the shaft with a razor and pull them once every so often to see if they're even twisting. If so, swap in a spare set.

Attachments

#7 ·
Thanks guys. As usual, some great suggestions and experiences. I want to keep the budget in check so I think I will stay with the stock shafts. The splines are in great shape with little wear and I don't think I will be doing anything that will put undo strain on them. The only off roading here is potentially driving over idiot drivers :) or deer.

However, I haven't pulled the axel yet so not sure if I have a 10 or 24 spline at the differential end. As suggested I am leaning towards getting the 24 spline locker which means I may have to swap out the axels anyway but would like to keep the costs down. The aftermarket shafts are not cheap!

#8 ·
If it has 10 splines, you can't use a stock 24 spline shaft. Also the stock 124 spline shafts are the same strength as the stock 10 spline shafts. Unless the truck is ex-MOD, the shafts will be 10 spline.

I'm not sure that I understand the worry about cost. The lockers you are talking about cost a lot more than the shafts.

As above, a TrueTrac or Ashcroft ATB is a better choice for you.

#9 ·
Thanks John. I was referring to the additional costs of the new shafts from what I looked at they are not cheap.

I'm confused about the shafts. Can I buy 24 spline stock shafts and a 24 spline locker to replace my current shafts? I haven't looked at the number of splines at the differential end yet. Seems like I can get stock shafts from LR Direct for not too much $$.

#10 ·
Can I buy 24 spline stock shafts and a 24 spline locker to replace my current shafts? I haven't looked at the number of splines at the differential end yet. Seems like I can get stock shafts from LR Direct for not too much $$.
No. 24 spline and 10 spline shafts are different lengths. There are early and later axle housings and the half shaft lengths are different.

The only exception is if you have the early HD axle that has a rare 24 spline shaft. They are stamped HD on the outside end.

It takes 5 minutes to pull a shaft. Why not look.

#12 ·
well not wanting to stir a hornets nest, I had an 87 range which by happenstance decided to let go of the drive train via differential failure and subsequent axle and cv breakage while beating it at the trail.

everyone kept on telling me the complete axle assembly had to be replaced in order to fit 24spline shafts as an upgrade from the factory installed 10 spline set up.
I decided to give it a try, kept the existing 10 spline housings remove all the internal guts and installed 98 disco 1 shafts, swivels, stubbies, hubs and used arb lockers, to plug the front abs holes I used defender bearing and caps.
I continued to beat the truck for another 10 yrs until I lost it in a divorce, never broke a shaft.
prior to all that mess, I had tru-tracs on 10 splines. yes that set up broke lots of axles but the straw which broke the camels back and made me return to the open 10 spline diffs which eventually caused the mayhem mentioned above, on a snow covered road, the tru-tracs engaged upon take off at an intersection, this caused all 4 wheels to spin and I drifted sideways into another suv. since then I swore never to use auto lockers or limited slip diff's again.

but that last line was just my experience. I have yet to try ashcroft selectable lockers, my current ride is on ARB's. future may be on ashcrofts.
the 24 spline guts will fit on a 10 spline housing but you need everything. now this was with existing rear disc brakes the experience may be different with rear drums.

#15 · (Edited)
http://www.defendersource.com/forum...al-refresh-ashcroft-locker-install-58866.html

my personal journey from 10 spline rear to 24 spline with Ashcroft locker. I show all the differences between the 10 spline and 24 spline components.

I pulled everything from a junkyard disco 1 rear axle. All parts external of the axle casing I replaced with disco 1 rear axle parts. I don't believe I kept any of my 10-spline parts except for my brake calipers, pads, and rotors.

I also rebuilt and installed the locker into my old third member as the disco 1 third member was seized.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.