Now it won't start. Need some help please. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 7th, 2011, 12:59 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Now it won't start. Need some help please.

I have been in and out of the stalling threads on this but I am thinking this is a different monster. Here is what is happening. When I sit at idle for a bit it dies. Usually it would fire right back up but lately it has died and will not re-fire immediately. When trying to re-fire my battery gets drained and is sometimes slow to want to wake up which might be a separate issue. When driving just recently it started hinting at missing every now and again with no regularity. I replaced the stepper and cleaned some stuff in the "air" area recently and it stayed running better but lately were are back to bad. From what I can tell it is either "air" related or "Fuel" related. I have done some searching and this is what I have come to.

This is what I have done.
1. Newish fuel pump (last spring)
2. New stepper
3. Cleaned out air system some.

These are the areas I intend to look into to get it running.
1. Fuel relay. I have one so why not. (not sure where it is to replace it though, but will check manual)
2. Wire to coil and MAF apparently had issues. I want to look at that (but don't know where the coil or this wire is)
3. Fuel pump fuze
4. Clean out stepper again
5. Clean out air bypass line etc again.

Any pointers on where this stuff is, or other not mentioned things I need to consider? I have not checked to see if a spark is hitting the plugs and assume to do so you just pull the plug and look for currency.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 7th, 2011, 01:06 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
So you can hear your fuel pump working when you initially turn the key (not to crank, but in the second position from what I remember)? Can you smell fuel? Have you checked the color of your spark? Your ignition coil should be up by the top of your driver's side fender, near where you'd check your oil levels.
Old December 7th, 2011, 02:32 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I seem to remember Jeff had an issue which was diagnosed as the lead from the ignition coil to the plug wires fell off because the coil was mounted upside down. Had bizarre ignition issues and eventually the truck wouldn't start. Solution was to remount the coil right side up and put the plug wire back on top.

Fuel Pump relay - search for "Silver Relay" in search.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 7th, 2011, 03:45 PM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

Yes, check spark first. When it won't start, pull a plug wire and either use a spart tester or a screw driver inserted into a plug wire with the shank close to a good ground and have someone turn the key to crank the engine. You should have a good strong blue spark. If not then you know to look for an electrical problem. If you have a good spark and don't smell fuel from the exhaust while cranking then chances are you should be looking at the fuel system.
Old December 7th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Yeap, find out if its fuel or ignition, start from there.

Robert Deniro
Old December 7th, 2011, 04:41 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Thanks guys. Headed home shortly to get to the bottom of all this. One thing I failed to mention. The fuel cell has these two rubber things coming out of either side. I am not sure what they do or why they are there and neither was the mechanic that did my initial emergency fuel pump replacement. So I do not have them hooked to anything should this bother me?
Old December 7th, 2011, 07:45 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Ok. This is what I know.

Turned the truck ignition on. Heard a mechanical noise from the back side.
Put gas in as the tank was a little low.
Went to crank, held the key forever and nothing.
Replaced one of the fuel relay's but did not have two(did not realize it needs two).
Nothing.
Switched the fuel relay to see if maybe only one was bad.
Nothing.
In a last ditch effort before admitting my limits as a wannabe shade tree mechanic I started messing around pushing and tugging on wires going from the D cap to a small coke can size canister on the drivers side fender part of the hood. I even tapped the canister with my flashlight a bit.
Went to start it and it FIRED almost immediately and stayed running in the garage for a long time.
That canister. What is it? Is that something I need to replace, or is that whole assembly on the drivers side what could be the potential problem. Given the heat in TX (and cold as my truck is basically carport kept.) I am getting to a point with my truck that everything is starting to fail.

Update:
This is what I am wondering. This canister thingy on the drivers side. I think I have a pic of it. Is it supposed to be sitting with the wire side underneath or did someone install mine backwards? Seams to me that any rattling or bumping could cause the connection to loosen or moisture to pool in the connection.

I do have a pic of the canister thing. Is this the ignition coil?
http://s344.photobucket.com/albums/p...t=490213ff.jpg
Old December 7th, 2011, 10:19 PM
BMGmotors
Baird M. Gehring
1997 D90 ST #1558

Registry
Yes, that is the ignition coil. It appears to be upside down as mentioned by Ed K. Try unplugging and reseating the connections, gravity and vibration may have contributed to them possibly coming loose. When you get the chance unbolt and turn the ignition coil right side up so that the connections are not prone to coming loose.
Old December 7th, 2011, 10:25 PM
James Pierce
James Pierce Jr.
1995 D90 SW #314, 59 SII 88 HT

That is the coil. Right next to it is the ignition module. One or the other might be going bad. Your coil is mounted correctly. That is how they came from the factory. Your coil wire should be clipped to the heat shield on the back of the alternator. Just make sure the wire going into the bottom of the coil is snug, if not spread the metal end inside the boot out a little so that it goes in tight.

This is the best pic I have on hand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1525.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	44524  
Old December 7th, 2011, 11:45 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM
Update:
This is what I am wondering. This canister thingy on the drivers side. I think I have a pic of it. Is it supposed to be sitting with the wire side underneath or did someone install mine backwards? Seams to me that any rattling or bumping could cause the connection to loosen or moisture to pool in the connection.

I do have a pic of the canister thing. Is this the ignition coil?
http://s344.photobucket.com/albums/p...t=490213ff.jpg
You mean the can looking thing in the exact location I told you the ignition could would be in? Yes, that's your coil. Classic issue.
Old December 8th, 2011, 12:27 AM
budzny
Real4X4
NAS 97 ST/NAS 93 110/62
Birthday Committee Team

I have extra coil if you need it. It's yours just pay shipping cost.
Old December 8th, 2011, 08:21 AM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

rijosho. You were dead right on the location and I think this has been an issue for me for a long time in and out but sure does not look like much of a coil. Looks more like a capacitor or something.

Dudzny. I am not sure if it is the coil just yet or if it is the connection at the bottom. If it is the coil will get in touch for a ppal addy. Thanks for the offer.
Old December 8th, 2011, 08:52 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
If jefhuf sees this post, he will have a laugh, I'm sure.

Glad you found the issue!!

I'm not sure if anyone has figured out why the coils are mounted upside down...maybe it's a hood clearance issue? not sure.
Old December 8th, 2011, 10:41 AM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

I realize they might have come mounted that way from the factory, but I am flipping mine unless some says otherwise. I can't think of a way that having the wire underneath is a good idea. Regardless I am also putting new plugs, wires, and a new battery in tonight. Time for some D-90 love from me.
Old December 8th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Mpigapicha
phil
1995 Defender D90

Get some 8mm magnacore wires and new plugs. Did wonders for my occasional no-start issues...... I also changed ignition coil to new Bosch......

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
I realize they might have come mounted that way from the factory, but I am flipping mine unless some says otherwise. I can't think of a way that having the wire underneath is a good idea. Regardless I am also putting new plugs, wires, and a new battery in tonight. Time for some D-90 love from me.
Old December 8th, 2011, 12:13 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM
Rick, Atlantic British sells whole Tune up kits and you get a coil, wires, cap, spark plugs, and an oil filter and I think something else for around $120 - discounts you about $70.
Old December 8th, 2011, 03:03 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Thanks a million for the input on all this stuff guys. I am pretty sure addressing this wire is going to cure what ails me but it is amazing to think I have been scratching my head for months trying to figure this out. You all might find this funny to offer a small return for the favor.

My truck had been running pretty good for a couple of weeks until this past Saturday. I was at a McD's drive through with my two kids in the truck (5 and 7). We were ordering when the truck just died. I tried to fire it but because of my old battery and the lack of run time on the alternator, well that and a loose connection, my truck would not re-fire. Fortunately there was only one guy behind me so I asked him to move out as I noticed the drive was ever so slightly sloped. He backed out and I started to push not thinking about the concrete pylons protecting the drive through equipment. Well my truck starts rolling and my door starts being asked to involuntarily stay in the same place. I started to realize this and started pushing back the other way while yelling at my kid to pull the ebrake. Well to add to the fun some homeless dude comes up and starts asking me for gas money so he could make it home to his family in Tennessee.......... Anyway the guy I had asked to move jumps out gives me a push forward. I get my door freed and finally got it rolling backwards again. Moral of the story is I will probably wind up with my last dying words being "Hey, watch this"!
Old December 8th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

I wonder if you actually see any arcing when you try to start the rig. Have someone start it while your watching in the dark. Be sure to clean up all your contact points as well. I would definately get a new coil, wire set and new ECM. Those should be maintenance parts, always keep spares.

Robert Deniro
Old December 8th, 2011, 04:55 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Neil-

I appreciate your thoughts. I have already ordered a set of spark plug wires coming in today, and also picked up some spark plugs. I don't think I have ever changed them since I have owned the truck over 10 years. I plan to squirt some electric grease on all ignition wire connections. I am going to flip the coil but I have not ordered one of those or a d-cap yet. I will stick that on the list for the next round. I did have to pick up a new battery though. My old optima finally took a dump on me. This truck is getting some long overdue love.

RickM
Old December 8th, 2011, 06:03 PM
jhhorse
joe heins
1995 defender 90

My experience with my truck is the ignition system is not so sensative. As long as you have a decent wire from the dcap to the coil and a good bosch replacement coil, should solve your problems. Upside down, rightside up not so important with the coil, wire should fit very firmly in the coil, if it comes loose with the factory position, you have a bad part.
I would change those 2 items first before I replaced all the plug wires, etc, just to make sure that was the issue.

Then, of course, take care of the rest of the ignition system.

R/Joe

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
start