Now it wont run at all - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 26th, 2016, 06:25 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Chicklet bad? Silver relays click? Did you try replacing them? What is the harness out of?
Advertisement

Old May 26th, 2016, 06:32 PM
85Red110
Kent
1985 110 3-door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Chicklet bad? Silver relays click? Did you try replacing them? What is the harness out of?
Chicklet? Yes, both relays click. Not sure anymore what this system is out of. Paging Grumpy Bill....
Old May 26th, 2016, 06:49 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Search chicklet and it will reveal where it is exactly. I forget at the moment, but they do cause issues.
Advertisement

Old May 27th, 2016, 07:59 AM
Kevin88RRC
Kevin Keith
1988 RRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85Red110 View Post
Chicklet? Yes, both relays click. Not sure anymore what this system is out of. Paging Grumpy Bill....
Hope this helps....
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...tml#post623617

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
The connection to the ECU is probably the problem.

It runs from the -ve side of the coil, via the chicklet near the MAF and onto the ECU. If this connection is problematic ( high resistance when damp ) then the ECU won't fire the injectors. They only get fired when the ECU gets this spark signal and knows the engine is therefore running.

This voltage should be about 9 volts. It's a pulse from the spark so easiest to test it with a probe with a light ... you should see it pulse with the engine running.

see 15 on the diagram ... it's a white wire with black tracer and goes to pin 39 on the ECU. The zigzag represents the chicklet resistor.
Old May 27th, 2016, 09:18 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

My wife stalled lately so she gave me the D90 back, uncomfortable to drive it. It stalled on me several times and wouldn't restart for several minutes but then would. I checked the coil and get this--I was getting 12V on both sides of my ballast resistor. Truck wouldn't start. Then, while watching the voltage, the darn thing dropped down to 6V (on the coil side of the resistor) and then would start. ??? I replaced the ballast resistor, thinking internal short or something (I carry a spare) and same issue. Must be something in the coil. Replaced coil and truck started right up. Driving around, it stalled again and wouldn't start. At all. While turning it over, I heard a "spark" but it wasn't going. Turned out, when replacing the coil, the wire from the distributor to the coil wasn't plugged into the coil far enough. I had to push the wire further out of it's boot in order for it to go deep enough into the coil to make full contact. Not saying that is what you have, but it sure made my life difficult to diagnose. I now don't even know if my coil was bad or not, but at this point I don't mind having the 20 year old coil replaced so I am leaving it. It is a good reminder to make sure your coil wires stick far enough out of the boot---they may be far enough to transfer a spark under no-load but not enough to power the engine. Something worth checking. Good luck--this was just a shot in the dark.
Old May 27th, 2016, 04:48 PM
85Red110
Kent
1985 110 3-door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Search chicklet and it will reveal where it is exactly. I forget at the moment, but they do cause issues.
My harness has no chicklet, tune resistor, ballast resistor, or anything of the like, anywhere along the harness, near the MAF or coil, or wherever. The truck ran last week just the way it is, albeit very shitty, then ran brilliantly with Lavs ECU, and now it wont do anything at all. The truck did nothing but sit in my garage between the test run with Lavs ECU, and then trying to start it again, with both ECU's I have now. All wire connections that I can test, have all tested good. Im lost.
Old May 29th, 2016, 10:46 AM
85Red110
Kent
1985 110 3-door

Registry
Yesterday, Galpin was kind enough to dig up a spare EFI harness out of his collection of parts, so that I could swap out mine and see if the issue was with the wiring. Turns out that Galpins harness is one that has the Tune Resistor on the wire that goes to the coil. For some reason, mine didn't have that resistor at all. I simply installed the resistor on my harness, and that did the trick.

Don't ask me how on earth the truck ran before without it.

Many thanks to all the members here for their advice, and to Charles for letting me cut his resistor out of his spare harness
Old May 29th, 2016, 10:50 AM
evilfij
evilfij

Weird. Rest of world harness maybe.
Old May 29th, 2016, 11:22 AM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
Tune Resistor

A Tune Resistor was originally specified in the wire harness so that one ECU part number could serve multiple vehicle markets. (Multiple computer programs could be stored within the ECU, and the ECU could "decide" which one to use based on what resistance it sensed.) One leg of the Tune Resister was wired to terminal 5 of the ECU, and the other leg was spliced to ground.

At some point during 14CUX production, Rover apparently decided to eliminate the Tune Resistor. (According to Rover service literature, this started with VIN number LA451517.) It isn't clear from the literature whether any US-market 14CUX systems would be effected by having an incorrect or damaged tune resister. The example system we photographed and described for this article NEVER HAD A TUNE RESISTOR!

The following information on Tune Resistors is based on Rover service literature.

Visual inspection of wire color codes will allow you to quickly differentiate between resistors.
White 3900 Ohms USA and European vehicles with catalytic converters
Green 470 Ohms UK and European vehicles without catalytic converters
Yellow 910 Ohms Saudi vehicles (without catalytic converters.)
Red 180 Ohms Australia and "the rest of the world."

Note: all four types of Rover Tune Resistors were rated for 0.5 Watts.

When fitted, the Tune Resistor was connected to the ECU through terminal position 5, and it was also connected to terminal position 27 through a splice. If you wish to check the resistor, first disconnect power to the system, second disconnect the EFI Cable Harness Assembly from the ECU, and finally simply measure resistance (using an Ohmmeter) from pin 5 to pin 27 on the main ECU connector. (Resistance isn't polarity dependent.)

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Old May 29th, 2016, 11:58 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Thank Carlos for the harness. Like half the shit I hoard it was not needed but was intended to make a "pegboard" 14cux system so I can play around with making a android or iOS version of rovergauge one day
Old May 29th, 2016, 12:05 PM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
I want to correct some bad info that was included in a post above.

pin 39 White/Black wire from the neg side of the coil, this is the Engine speed signal cable (harness includes 6.8k ohm resistor) THIS NOT A TUNE RESISTOR.

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Old May 29th, 2016, 01:40 PM
Kevin88RRC
Kevin Keith
1988 RRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverman2010 View Post
I want to correct some bad info that was included in a post above.

pin 39 White/Black wire from the neg side of the coil, this is the Engine speed signal cable (harness includes 6.8k ohm resistor) THIS NOT A TUNE RESISTOR.
If you are referring to my repost of info.... it is correct info because we were discussing the 'chicklet' (the 6.8k resistor you referenced). It was not about the tuner resistor.

Kent: which tune resistor & which ECU? I still recommend running the complete EFI test sheet if you haven't.
Old May 29th, 2016, 03:26 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85Red110 View Post
Yesterday, Galpin was kind enough to dig up a spare EFI harness out of his collection of parts, so that I could swap out mine and see if the issue was with the wiring. Turns out that Galpins harness is one that has the Tune Resistor on the wire that goes to the coil. For some reason, mine didn't have that resistor at all. I simply installed the resistor on my harness, and that did the trick.

Don't ask me how on earth the truck ran before without it.

Many thanks to all the members here for their advice, and to Charles for letting me cut his resistor out of his spare harness
Awesome work! Thanks for sharing the solution
Old May 29th, 2016, 04:37 PM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Thank Carlos for the harness. Like half the shit I hoard it was not needed but was intended to make a "pegboard" 14cux system so I can play around with making a android or iOS version of rovergauge one day
no thanks needed, glad to be of service.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions