Defender Source Forum banner

Not what you want to find in your t-case :(

1K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Arlo 
#1 ·
Went to change in the oil in my LT230 and found a big chunk of metal stuck to the magnet on the drain plug. Pulled the bottom cover to inspect and find many more.

I am pretty sure it is remnants of a broken shim or washer behind the last gear towards the back of the case. See photo where I circled it.

So what is this part? Truck seems to be running fine with no chunking or grinding etc... only a gear whine I seem to notice more nowadays. Obviously this is not good and I need to address it. So what is the best solution? New t-case, rebuilt one? Worth trying to tackle it and replace it? How does this sort of thing break?

What will happen when and if that "shim" gives way completely?

Thoughts?

Thanks

Tyler

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Even as easy as they are to change, I'd be very gentle on range changes and drive it till something really goes wrong.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

------ Follow up post added October 9th, 2016 08:14 PM ------

But that's just me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

#7 ·
I wouldn't care being stranded off road. Being stranded in NYC is a nightmare. There is only one tow company allowed to tow you off of the highways and they won't tow you any further. I was charged $140 to be towed 150 yards off of the highway to be left in a no parking zone. I then had to wait for the second tow truck to get me there and tow me to the dealership.

#10 ·
Breaking down off road isn't a big deal in most cases since you likely have no where you have to be. Breaking down on your way to work and showing up at 11 AM sucks.

I actually like driving in traffic in NYC more than anywhere else because there are so many roads. If you get stuck in traffic in downtown Richmond, you have nowhere else to go.

#16 ·
Hi Tyler,

I guess these parts you've found are parts of a taper bearing, because the shims are inside the bore, behind the outer rings.

Kurt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.