Not The Fuel Pump? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 21st, 2012, 04:45 PM
]-[ @ n $
Hans
Hunting

Registry
Not The Fuel Pump?

So I replaced my fuel pump on my '97 NAS D90.

Twice.

I think it's safe to say, my problem isn't the fuel pump.

The Problem: 1 out of every 5 times that I turn the ignition, the fuel pump kicks in. I was told it might be the fuel pump relay - so I ordered a fuel pump relay.

$70 later, I receive THIS. It is part #AFU2913L and it looks nothing like the odd-shaped little black box hidden behind the ECU. In fact, it appears to be an EFI relay, as seen in many of the "silver relay" threads.

Is this really the part I want to replace to try and resolve my problem? If so, where the hell is it located on my '97 D90???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 21st, 2012, 04:54 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
You do have a fuel pump but not for your year AFU2913L is for 94-95. 1997 requires a different fuel pump.

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/YWB100820LG.cfm
Old February 21st, 2012, 04:56 PM
]-[ @ n $
Hans
Hunting

Registry
Damn. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 21st, 2012, 07:18 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ View Post
So I replaced my fuel pump on my '97 NAS D90.

Twice.

I think it's safe to say, my problem isn't the fuel pump.

The Problem: 1 out of every 5 times that I turn the ignition, the fuel pump kicks in. I was told it might be the fuel pump relay - so I ordered a fuel pump relay.

$70 later, I receive THIS. It is part #AFU2913L and it looks nothing like the odd-shaped little black box hidden behind the ECU. In fact, it appears to be an EFI relay, as seen in many of the "silver relay" threads.

Is this really the part I want to replace to try and resolve my problem? If so, where the hell is it located on my '97 D90???
It is located under the white access cover in the engine compartment on the passenger side. The multifunction relay Josh cited is correct for an NAS '97 90. Expensive little bastard (the relay, not Josh).

Another possibility might be that the harness plug connecting to the fuel pump itself could be corroded on the inside. I have had this problem on two different '97s. Plug looked OK, but was bad. Unfortunately, getting to the plug requires lowering the gas tank part way.

Is your gas guage consistently functioning OK? The plug connecting to the fuel pump consists of 4 wires. Green for the gas guage power, purple/white for fuel pump power and two black ground wires. An erratically functioning gas guage could further point to the fuel pump plug as the possible culprit for your fuel pump issue.

YMMV, of course, but for what it's worth, I have never had a pump relay problem in my '97's. (I bought my ST new in 1997.) Just fuel pumps, fuel pump plug corrosion problems and an inertia switch problem, (easily tested itself by simply disconnecting the wire to the switch and temporarily jumping the connections in the plug with a paper clip...)

You might see if you can borrow a relay and temporarily swap it out with yours to eliminate (or confirm) the relay as a problem. (I don't know if the '96 or later GEMS Discos or P38's used the same relay, but any of the Disco / RR guys here or on Dweb could easily answer that.)

Edit: Looking again at the part Josh supplied, it looks like the same relay was used in later D-1's...
Old February 21st, 2012, 07:46 PM
]-[ @ n $
Hans
Hunting

Registry
Gym,

Thanks very much for the detailed response! My gas guage works great; though it does move from "F" to "E" a little too quickly.

I'll try to chase down a local guy with a matching relay. If I get the same problem, I'll yank the plug.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fuel