Not Starting...Again - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 15th, 2007, 03:47 PM
jdempsey
Jason Dempsey
94/ D90/ Red

Not Starting...Again

I searched the forum before posting this. I had a good thread going but it seemed to have dissapeared. I have starting issues everytime it rains heavy. I have spark going in and from my primary but it is not distributing. Hoping someone out there knows the fix...Help!!!!
Advertisement

Old April 15th, 2007, 06:54 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
94 huh? Got AC? You soaking your computer or relays?
Old April 15th, 2007, 09:12 PM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

I had the same problem today after 3 plus inches of rain. It would fire on a couple of cylinders like wet ignition but wouldn't run. WD40 didn't help much and I was staying in a vacation house in the middle of no-where with nothing close but an old shed. Rumaged around in the shed for awhile looking for ideas and behind an old tractor was a leaf-blower. I got the blower going and spent a couple of minutes with it at full thorttle aimed at the distributor. The truck started fine after that. My wife said I should keep a leaf blower in the truck but I'm planning on a new cap, rotor, wires etc. first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 15th, 2007, 10:43 PM
jdempsey
Jason Dempsey
94/ D90/ Red

Okay, Had my Brother come over and we poushed it into the garage. Killed the lights and looked at the coil. Saw sparks at the bottom of the coil. Took a hair dryer to it and fired up. I do have A/C but I am going to replace the coil and post back.
Old May 24th, 2007, 10:19 AM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

Jason,

What was the word with the coil. I have started to have the wont start when it rains issue and I suspect the coil as the seal along the bottom looks well worn.
Thanks,
Matt
Old May 24th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Joeplumbo
Joe PLumbo
1993 110

Jason,
May wish to try a non LR aftermarket rotor. There are still some defective LR ones out there.

Regards,

Joe

'95 ST
'93 110
Old May 24th, 2007, 03:49 PM
JakeW
Walt
2015 range rover evoque

I had problems with mine in the wet too. My coil wire had turned to charcoal at the distributor end. I was running a NAPA cap and rotor and they didn't seat properly on/in the distrubutor. Got a genuine cap/rotor/plug wires ($$$), changed the plugs to NGK and took off the stock push on connectors at the coil. Replaced the push on connectors with normal circular connectors which I soldered on. This allows you to put the connectors directly onto the coil and eliminates the possibility for rain to get into the stock push on blade type and corrode. Truck was running better than ever before the clutch disc exploded!
Old July 5th, 2007, 12:06 PM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

Warning (Super Low Tech Work Around)

I wanted to pass this on in the event that it helps others in locating the issue on the wont start when it rains problem.

About 2 months ago, I started to have this same problem. Upon closer inspection it appeared as thought he seal at the lower end of my coil was aged. Needless to say I started following the weather real close as I now had the potential to get stranded if caught in a storm. (Drying out or spraying connections with WD40 did not seem to solve my particular problem)

Looking at being caught in an unexpected thunderstorm while heading into a meeting, I MacGyver'd a the following "solution". I simply covered my coil with a large zip loc bag and secured it with a zip tie. To be honest, I did not think it would work, but I did not want to be stuck (again) without trying something.

Low and behold it started right up in the rain after sitting for 90 minutes. Well we have had several heavy rains over the last 2 months and my "temporary" solution appears to be holding up well.

I did not plan on using this as a long term solution, but upon learning that a replacement coil would set me back $120, I have just added that to my long list of things on my sort-of-need to have list.

Photo attached for the less imaginative...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Coil.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	9758  
Old July 5th, 2007, 12:09 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

The new coil wire comes with a boot that goes over the bottom of the coil. Call mike at LR west chester (see vendor section) and he will get you one as I know he stocks them. Great solution to this exact issue.

Ron

PS tell him i say hi.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
start, starting