Not a Mechanic - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 14th, 2004, 04:13 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

Not a Mechanic

Therefore, I will ask you guys before I start replacing stuff. When I am getting on it uphill (on pavement), the truck starts missing a little at about 4000rpms. It seems like its not getting enough gas. Can it be the fuel filter? Anything else to check? Where is the fuel filter? I guess I am going to have to get one of those manuals from ebay or somewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 14th, 2004, 04:21 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Hmm, I am guessing no check engine light right? Could just be the fuel filter, easy to replace (although I have never done it ). I think on 97s, on the passenger side fuel rail there is a point with a little black cap that you can pull off to put a pressure gauge on to check the pressure, I believe it should be in the 30 to 32 psi range.
Old December 14th, 2004, 04:30 PM
RoverChic
D-90 Source P.I.
02 D2, 13 E350 AMG, 11 Ford F350

I would check all aspects of the fuel system. Wires, plugs, fuel pump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 14th, 2004, 04:32 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Also, a good tuneup never hurts if it's been a while. Old plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor can cause exactly that. Don't forget, you also need to use 92 octane.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old December 14th, 2004, 05:04 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert
Hmm, I am guessing no check engine light right? Could just be the fuel filter, easy to replace (although I have never done it ). I think on 97s, on the passenger side fuel rail there is a point with a little black cap that you can pull off to put a pressure gauge on to check the pressure, I believe it should be in the 30 to 32 psi range.
As usual, you're dead on, Mike.

Does it only happen uphill is the question? Or does it occurr @ 4000 every time (flat, up, down)?

EwS
Old December 14th, 2004, 05:11 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
Also, a good tuneup never hurts if it's been a while. Old plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor can cause exactly that. Don't forget, you also need to use 92 octane.

-Hans
A 97 does not have mechanical distrubuter, rotor or cap so you can skip those. Plugs or plug wires, cheap enough and at 7 years of age, not a bad idea anyway. My money is on the fuel filter, Mike is a pretty sharp guy when it comes to D-90 stuff.....
Old December 14th, 2004, 05:17 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

Well I don't know if it is only uphill cause I don't usually punch it on the flat ground or at least I haven't lately. But now I have a reason to do it, right. And about the 4k rpms. I'm sort of guessing there cause if you guys remember a while back I posted a message saying that my tach was working intermittently. But it is definately at the upper rpm range. Plugs are 1 yr old and the truck runs great otherwise.

Follow-up Post:

Mike, Your right no engine light illumination. Do I test the pressure with the engine running?
Old December 15th, 2004, 07:52 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I would try with the engine off, then the key in the on position then again with it running.
Old December 15th, 2004, 08:29 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
If none of the above works. Get out on the flat tarmac and punch it to see if you can replicate it.

Does the truck lose power (speed) but rpm continues to go? Has the truck downshifted when doing this (when losing power). If so, I think I know.

How many miles on your odo?

Old December 15th, 2004, 01:55 PM
Nategracie808
Nathan King

Don't forget it can also stem from poorly gapped plugs
Old December 15th, 2004, 04:00 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

Ok, on a flat tarmac the truck accelerates without problems. I can almost feel it trying to miss but its barely noticable. Could this be a governor issue? I am using Bosch 4+ plugs which are about 1yr old and the gap is as they come. Today I will replace the fuel filter.
David, I don't notice a loss of speed and the rpms are pretty much pegged at the time and not climbing.
Old December 15th, 2004, 08:02 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

Fingers Crossed. I replaced the fuel filter and ran the s*** out of it (at least til i was on the ass of the car in front of me). No misses as of yet. Sure hope that fixed it cause that was as cheap as it gets.
Old December 15th, 2004, 09:08 PM
javelinadave
-
-

I am not sure of the gas they sell in Colorado but here in Maricopa County (Phoenix/Scottsdale) they switch the gas from one blend to another every April & October. The winter stuff has a tendency to "clean out" the crap in your gas tank. If you have a lot of junk stuck in the tank it clogs up the fuel filter. I am not sure which is which but one is an ethanol blend and the other is a methanol blend FWIW.
Old December 15th, 2004, 11:08 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

Makes sense.
Old December 19th, 2004, 12:37 AM
WCURoverD90
Jason Habbal
1997 Defender 90 #1104

Mike,
I would def. look into getting a manual. D-90s are, for the most part, very easy to work on IMO but that manual was the best thing i have bought so far to have around the shop....

Land Rover-The Best 4x4xFar
Old December 19th, 2004, 07:31 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

Done, THanks
Old December 21st, 2004, 01:00 AM
whistler110
Mike Johnstone
ex-mod 110

Hopefully, your problem is solved with just the filter change. If not, check the fuel pump as mentioned.

Is it worse with less fuel in the tank? Does the problem go away when going downhill?

If the fuel pump starts to go the system will rely on gravity feed and going uphill takes that away.
Old October 22nd, 2006, 08:38 PM
trislerjw
JT
97 D-90 ST

92?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans

-Hans
are you seriuos about 92 octane? oops, 89 for me.... is that bad?
Old October 22nd, 2006, 09:44 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Well, it is a high compression engine. So if your octane is too low, and you are punching it too hard, you will get some detonation within the cylinders (knocking). And knocking, if too bad or done for too long, can blow a hole in a piston and do some nasty stuff to valves and connecting rods. You would have noticed one of those problems by now most likely, but I'd still recommend using the higher octanes anyways even if it seems ok without it.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old October 22nd, 2006, 10:08 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Alas too true. The Rover does not like low octane, or poor fuel quality (as in water in the fuel). One of the gas stations
upstate had bad quality gas and the rover would end up coughing using it's premium. One I switched, the rover was happy. 92/93 for me, and rover gas treatment every oil change.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions