Northern VA emissions question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 25th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Arjun
Arjun
None

Northern VA emissions question

I'm about to start the process of bringing in a 25 year old 110 imported with a 300tdi. I read on the DMV website that only diesel vehicles newer than 1997 are subject to emissions testing in Northern VA.

So am I in the clear as far as emissions is concerned? Just thought I'd double check with those who have first hand experience.

Any thoughts/advice greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 25th, 2010, 10:37 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Its stupid, but no problems with emissions. You just get an emissions exemption because it's older than 25 years and wasn't produced here so they have no data on it. You have to go to the DEQ (department of environmental quality) who will verify the vin matches the vehicle and give you a waiver which you take to the DMV. I did this with my gasoline powered 110 but I have no reason to believe diesel would be any different. Call the DEQ to verify, or visit them (they are in Dale City near Potomac Mills mall).

You will need to get a safety inspection unless you get antique tags.
Old May 25th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Or get Vintage plates and skip the entire process, plus only pay for plates/registration once.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 25th, 2010, 11:42 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
True, I forgot with antique tags they need nothing.
Old May 25th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Arjun
Arjun
None

@Charles: Thanks for the info.

@Jonathan: Are there any annual mileage restrictions on antique tags? How rigorously is the 250 mile range from registration address restriction enforced? I don't want any problems with the fuzz.
Old May 25th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

It's not enforced and is unenforcable. The law actual reads to the effect that the vehicle can be used for auto club events or the testing of equipment, so there's enough grey area that you're covered.
Old May 25th, 2010, 12:28 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Not so fast boys...

If it's registered as antique, you are eligible for lower insurance rates because of the anticipated low usage. However, most insurance companies now ask you to declare the mileage annually - even for non-antique status.

So, it is obvious that if they see you are driving non-antique miles your rate will be affected and perhaps your registration status as well.

That's the only I see that enforcement is feasible.
Old May 25th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Art, my experience has been that the insurance and the registration aren't crosswalked -- i.e. you can register as an antique but use conventional insurance; I did so on the 110 as I wasn't eligable for antique insurance as it wasn't garage kept.
Old May 25th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have USAA for my insurance and they don't care how the truck is registered. I even have agreed value coverage of $30k, and there is no reporting of mileage.

I'll take the fine of $250 if I ever get caught driving outside the "law." That sure beats inspections and annual plate fees any day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old May 25th, 2010, 12:42 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

That is different from my experience here in MA where an antique plate (registration) goes with antique insurance, which is mileage limited.

I don't mind trying to save a buck by even perhaps skirting the law but it's always a concern when you have an issue - like and accident - and your house of cards starts falling on you.

As for emissions, yes, even here in MA diesel is exempt for your vehicle. Now if I can only pass my 97 D90 a couple more years it'll also be exempt due to age.
Old May 25th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Arjun
Arjun
None

Thanks for the responses guys. Love this site.
Old May 25th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I'm not worried about accidents either. My truck is legal, with legal insurance, and being legally driven. That's all a judge or a jury of my peers need to know.

Semper Fi!
Old May 26th, 2010, 04:19 PM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

Do you have a second car? Recently in VA if you registered a car in VA with antique plates they made you prove you had a second car that was registered normally.

B
Old May 26th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcampbel@nas.edu View Post
Do you have a second car? Recently in VA if you registered a car in VA with antique plates they made you prove you had a second car that was registered normally.

B
Yes, three real cars and three antiques. I believe you are correct in that you have to have a second "real" car. I recall having to sign something stating I have a "real" car.

Semper Fi!
Old May 26th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Arjun
Arjun
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcampbel@nas.edu View Post

B
We have 3 other cars that are registered as normal cars so no problems on that front.
Old May 26th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Boy you guys in the big city have all the problems. Here we just go down to the local DMV/vinyl siding/ beauty salon store and get what ever tags you want. I wave to the State Trooper and he just looks at me and say's, "so you are test driving that thing again". It is all good. USAA is the bomb.
Old May 26th, 2010, 08:54 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
When you get your antique tags at the DMV you have to show/prove you have a "daily driver" by listing the VIN and registration of that vehicle. Went through this with my '69 Bronco about two months ago. Otherwise, you just have to deal with the line at the DMV!
Old May 26th, 2010, 11:36 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Oh it's a thing of beauty. Right in front of them is the computer listing your 4 other cars (3 on normal tags), yet you have to fill out another form with all the info they have in front of them to prove that you have another car, and then sign it. Un-friggin-believable. Been there, done that... twice.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions