Normal T-case driveline slack? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 24th, 2014, 11:02 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Normal T-case driveline slack?

So for the past 2 days I accomplished one of my life goals to drive the Rubicon Trail. Amazing trail but naturally, it took it's toll on the D90. Tore off a shock mount, bent a bilstien 7100 in half and snapped 3 axles. More specifically, broke the driver rear almost in the middle of the shaft, and grenaded both front CVs. Long story short, truck made it to the Tahoe parking lot on just the passenger rear shaft. I drove it back to San Francisco like that with the Tcase locked and the rear locker on.

Got everything apart and I was under there and noticed a lot of gear lash btw the front and rear shaft with the center lock engaged. Took a measuring tape to it and I can rotate the front shaft 1-3/4 inch before the rear will turn. Is that normal or a sign of something about to let go? Driving home there was considerable clunk in the driveline when I let the clutch up but I attribute that to having just one axle in the system. The T-case has probably 2K miles on it since it was rebuilt with GBR reduction gears. So is it normal or no?
Advertisement

Old July 14th, 2014, 04:52 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Thought I'd follow up here in case anyone else searches for this one day. After testing this against another defender, both trucks had roughly an 1/8 rotation of the driveshaft independent of the other shaft with the diff lock on. The test I did had both cars on jack stands. diff lock on, trans in neutral, and the parking brake applied so the rear shaft wouldn't move. Manually rotating the front shaft I got about an 1/8 of a rotation before the gears locked up.
Old July 14th, 2014, 08:22 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
i can push my range rover about 4" in park

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac