Normal Running Temps - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 4th, 2012, 09:19 PM
aaronlam
aaron lam
1997 Alpine White D90 SW #2212

Registry
Normal Running Temps

Hi,

So... trying to get to know my truck... do these seem like reasonable temps? I have an upgraded VDO temp gauge and sender but no IR/laser temp measurer so just taking the gauge for its word:

Normal highway driving (45-65): 190
Heavy traffic (15-25 stop and go): 200
Hard surface road driving - lots of stop and go. Lights etc: 205ish
Back onto the highway brings it back down to 190-195

The temp hit 210 when I was sitting on surface roads stop and go for 20 min... stopped the car to pick up something inside for 5 min and came back out and started again. The temp shot up to 210 but by the time I got back on the highway... it went back down to 200.

200 seems to be where it wants to sit when I am not going fast on the highway.

Thanks for any input.

aaron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 4th, 2012, 10:04 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I like 180, this horse has been beat to a pulp.

You can run the scangauge since you have a gems truck. It provided a lot of information and has the ability to read and clear fault codes
Old January 4th, 2012, 10:24 PM
aaronlam
aaron lam

Registry
I just a Scangauge II in today! Amazon has it on sale for $139.99 if anyone is interested.

So if I don't throw a code... I am good?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 5th, 2012, 10:57 AM
J. Andrew
J. Andrew
95 D90 NAS SW #384

I had a few rising temp scares in the summer, with my AC on, in stop and go traffic, and so I did the snake oil fix.
I had my coolant flushed and then added water wetter with the new coolant, and much to my pleasure, it hasn't risen much past dead center since, including the rest of the summer. I figured it was worth the cheap fix try first. I however don't see any cold weather where I would need to run any serious anti-freeze.
Old January 5th, 2012, 04:35 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Not sure what the ambient air temps are during the fluctuations but I can tell you that I had similar fluctuations last summer. I first changed the fan clutch as it was dying and flushed/re-filled the radiator along with installing a new t-stat. This work solved the problem for a while but then about 2-3 months later my water pump started weeping so I ended up replacing that as well. Kinda makes me wonder if my water pump was the problem from the start! anyways, at the end of the story my truck will now sit no higher than 190 regardless of the driving conditions (including wheeling in 90+ degrees) or outside temps.
Old January 5th, 2012, 08:17 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

180 sounds a bit low, the thermostat doesn't even open until 188 does it?
Old January 5th, 2012, 08:41 PM
aaronlam
aaron lam

Registry
Been reading tons of old threads... this one seems to be most informative for anyone else who is interested: http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=33681

It SOUNDS like my truck is actually running normal... but maybe it's better for it to run cooler. If I got a new water pump, fan clutch etc... maybe it would run more solid. But I got nothing leaking... nothing from the water pump, no coolant... gasket heads were just rebuilt so the coolant was flushed. Cats were recently welded so assuming everything downstream is kosher.

So now looking into getting a 179 degree thermostat. Is there any reason I don't just pick up a $12 Murray one from a local autopart store than ordering a $50 one from RoversNorth or something?

On another topic... installed the Scangauge II today. Keeping with my obsession with not drilling any more holes in this truck... mounted it to a plastic L piece and sandwiched the L piece between the bottom dash. Not totally solid but won't come off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	45681  
Old January 5th, 2012, 08:54 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Im using 12 dollar Autozone thermostats in 3 rovers, I think the one in my classic has issues otherwise no worries.
Old January 5th, 2012, 09:19 PM
aaronlam
aaron lam

Registry
Any tips on changing the thermostat? Went through it in the workshop manual... Do I really need to drain the coolant to change it?
Old January 5th, 2012, 10:52 PM
jhhorse
joe heins
1995 defender 90

It seems to me if your truck runs hot in stop and go, look to the fan. when you start the truck cold, you should hear the viscous fan "roar" for a few seconds til the fluid gets moving. Later, when the truck warms up, you should hear the same loud noise from the fan. You can also do a paper test, by trying to stop the fan with a rolled up newspaper and see if you can easily stop when warm.

If truck cools down ok after cruising at highway speeds, that should tell you radiator and water circulation are good.
Joe
Old January 6th, 2012, 09:36 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Also remember that putting in a lower temp t-stat will not necessarily lower the temp of the engine, only open at a lower temp...and yes, when you crack open the t-stat housing you will loose a lot of coolant so you are best to drain ahead of time out of the lower hose so you don't flood the top of your engine.
Old January 6th, 2012, 11:09 AM
aaronlam
aaron lam

Registry
Yeah... that makes sense. And in sleeping on it... I am not sure that is my issue as when it spiked to 210... it wasn't until I hit the highway before the temp started to drop. Is that right or should it have dropped even just driving around?

I checked the viscous fan with the newspaper and it didn't stop after being warmed up. Thinking now I'll start with an IR thermometer to make sure the reading is accurate before anything else. Any reason the $50 ones at Home Depot wouldn't work as well as the $100 ones?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions