Non D90 Technical Question jump start polarity problem - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 4th, 2004, 02:16 AM
dnewman9
Dennis Newman
*SOLD*Conniston 97 NAS 90

Non D90 Technical Question jump start polarity problem

Was at a car lot tonight looking to replace my wifes minivan and the one we were looking at would not start.
The sales guy went and got one of the battery packs to jump it and while I was inside the car looking it over he hooked it up. He flipped the toggle switch and all the lights on inside went off and came back on in the vehicle. He did it again and no start. I tried to start it a couple times, got the solenoid click, before I got out of the car and looked at what he was doing and sure enough he had the polarity reversed on the cables. At that point he had the pack shut off and I quickly disconnected the thing.
I then reconnected it back the correct way and it started right up. The vehicle was a Town and Country mini van with power(electronic) everything.
I would like to go back tomorrow to buy it but I am concerned about the long term affects of what he did? I checked all the gadgets I could and it all appeared to be fine. I would hope that Chrysler was smart enough to protect against that but am not sure. I have to beleive the battery took a beating and will need to be replaced at a minimum but am not sure.

Anyone have any advice as to what I should look for?
Thanks
Dennis

Sorry for the non-d90 topic, i just wasn't sure where else I could go with equal expertise as here? If this should be moved sorry and thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 4th, 2004, 12:00 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

Dennis I don't have any info for you on this subject but I noticed the picture of your Def and it looks identical to the one I bought about a year ago. Is that picture your current Def?
Old September 5th, 2004, 01:53 AM
dnewman9
Dennis Newman
*SOLD*Conniston 97 NAS 90

Yea, this is my truck, i got it off ebay back in December. Bought it out of Missoula Montanna.
Dennis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 5th, 2004, 08:31 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

The most he would have done is drained the batteries some, if the engine starts then the ECM is fine. When you put to batteries together like that they short each other out, and over time they would have droped 0 volts. So when he hooked it up the voltage droped most likly. I would say that you should try and get a new battery for it. But I have to tell you I HATE minivans!
Old September 6th, 2004, 05:39 AM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnewman9
I would hope that Chrysler was smart enough to protect against that but am not sure.
Any engineer that does not design to protect against this doesn't deserve his/her job. So yea, the factory equipment should be OK. Check any aftermarket electronics carefully.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90, start