Defender Source Forum banner

Noise Reduction Thoughts

Tags
ht
6K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  ajh 
#1 ·
If you had to choose one area to start which do you think would be more effective? Under the hood or interior of the bulkhead?

#5 ·
IMO (and what I'm doing)
Seatbox
Floors
Bulkhead
Doors
Roof

There are three dimensions of noise reduction. 1) stopping vibration 2) stopping transmission and 3) sound absorption There are products for each. Are you looking to buy a solution or piece it together yourself? The Wright Offroad/Exmoor Trim seatbox & front floor/tunnel mats seem to be a good at 1 & 2. Add some heavy rubber mats for the second row and way back and your ears will be much better off.

#6 ·
Roof has dynamat under the headliner. I'm going to do the doors next since I have a roll of it here.

Considering the full kit from http://www.noisekillergb.com/ with LR mats over it for the interior and then the hood too. I like that the full kit does almost the entire truck with the acoustic matting.

I've looked at the Wright/Exmoor stuff before I just don't love it. I have nothing right now but some rubber mats so probably anything will be an improvement.

#9 ·
Roof has dynamat under the headliner. I'm going to do the doors next since I have a roll of it here.

Considering the full kit from http://www.noisekillergb.com/ with LR mats over it for the interior and then the hood too. I like that the full kit does almost the entire truck with the acoustic matting.

I've looked at the Wright/Exmoor stuff before I just don't love it. I have nothing right now but some rubber mats so probably anything will be an improvement.
Noise Killer takes it to a whole new level. It looks like the engine gets a blanket strapped to the top.
I'm going to put some Dynamat or similar on the underside of the transmission tunnel next time it's off. Other than that I just have two rubber mats.

If you go the Noise Killer route you should do a review of the results. It seems affordable enough.

#7 ·
This is my next project and, knowing myself, I'll end up lining everything. With that said, I plan to start with the floors and seating area as most of the noise originates from below (tires / road, transmission, engine, etc). From what i've researched it seems Dynamat is the gold standard for noise reduction mat. ECR has quite a few posts / projects / pics where they tame the noise level and all they use is Dynamat so there's something to be said there.

#8 ·
I know Dynamat is great. But it is so nasty when it gets dog hair and gunk in it. I've had it inside other trucks. I like it when you can cover it with something substantial- like a headliner or a door panel. I have it under some panels that I won't have to see again- seat box lids, transmission panel.

I'm just being a pansy about spending the $ and installing something.

#11 ·
I have about 3/4 " of layering of different materials on my floor, tunnel, seat box and bed. Some flashing under that to stop the drumming. Bottom line, I think the noise from all those areas is reduced significantly, so whatever you put down there will help, just make it thick and layer it. I have nothing under the hood, and should go there next because engine noise is an issue. But with the soft top, and soft top doors (windows) there is only so far you can go. Joe

#12 ·
I thought I'd update this to where I am currently.

So- I used the B-quiet (dynamat knock off) that I had in the following places:

1. Under the seats- just the access panels.
2. Across the 2nd row floor, then I put a thin rubber sheet over that (removable) and then some LR rubber floor mats)
3. The main part of the rear tub floor- not the sides or the tops of the wheel wells yet and another thin rubber sheet over that. Ordering a new rubber cargo space mat and then I will do the wheel well sides and top.
4. One second row door interior since I had the trim off. Planning to do the other 3 doors in the next few days.

I also installed 1 "heavy duty" rubber kick panel on the driver's side. Haven't gotten around to the passenger side due to the AC. On the front floors I have some older LR insulation mats with rubber mats over them.

AND for the BEST $ I've spent so far! The Dynamat hood liner kit. Ordered it from Amazon for about $60. Made a template and cut it up to stick under the hood around the support. That has been night and day for noise inside the truck and it was super quick. Dynamat recommends using a sheet of their extreme under the hood liner and I think that would be a great idea. I need to take my hood apart and spruce it up a bit and when I do that I'll do the Extreme- but I wanted to install this quickly with the hood on the truck.

#14 ·
These are all good suggestions and I've done pretty much all of this. The one thing I'd mention is make sure there are NO holes btw the bulkhead, floor, etc. This is the first thing to check - I used a clear caulk to plug everything - after I put all this down and was still getting noise transmission (the Tdi will do that...)

This guy has a thorough discussion and I've found his prices reasonable: http://sounddeadenershowdown.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi

-Lee

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.