Noise from engine--curse of my existence - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 22nd, 2005, 02:58 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I will snap a pic and post it. Did you use a keeper at all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 22nd, 2005, 03:32 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Chris,
No, the early engines with the external oil pump did not need a keeper...the pressure from the oil pump drive through the distributor gear was sufficient to keep the camshaft lightly pressed against the engine block. The cam retainer was introduced with the crankshaft driven oil pump as it is required to keep the cam in contact with the front face of the engine block. There were 2 styles, the crescent shaped one and the full circle style that bolt on over the machined lip on the cam nose to keep it in place. I have a 900531 here in the scrap pile (oil pump quit, lost 2 lobes and cam bearings, hence the rebuild) and it is not machined to take a cam retainer. That's why I'm curious as to how you were able to use the retainer. Rob
Old June 22nd, 2005, 05:07 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I had a buddy at a machine shop mill the cam to accept the retainer (cressent shape). I can only work on the truck about an hour at a time right now, so the next step is to take off the top end of the engine and remove the lifters--then I can play with the cam and figure out what is up. What I think is up from looking at it is that the retainer is keeping the cam too far into the engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 23rd, 2005, 05:06 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

My Crower cam just arrived and there is an expanded flange at the end where the timing gear goes on that keeps the cam from going in too far into the engine. This was either missing or was milled off on the Crane cam and that is what caused all my issues. Few hundred bucks down the drain.
Old June 23rd, 2005, 05:55 PM
stevewhitaker
Stephen Whitaker
1994 D-90

Registry
I hate it when that happens! Good luck on the new cam.
Old June 24th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Everything is back together with the Crower cam and purring like a kitten! Well, make that a Tiger!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine