Noise from bellhousing 300tdi auto - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old August 7th, 2016, 11:19 AM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Noise from bellhousing 300tdi auto

So I'm trying to diagnose the noise from my bellhousing area on the 300tdi auto. I can say with a high degree of certainty it is coming from the bellhousing because when I took off the inspection plate the noise was much louder.

The noise is a banging/clanging metal on metal sound. It's really pronounced at idle but when you're at higher rpms or driving you don't hear it.

First step was to check the torque converter bolt. One of them took a little more but 3 of the 4 were ok. After this snug up the noise went away for about a block but then came back.

So things pointed to the classic broken flexplate issue I've been reading about. Thing is now that the trans is down and flexplate is out....it isn't. The flexplate is ok. One of the TC boltholes is a little stretched out, so maybe part of the issue? I have a new one that I will install anyways. And it had the EDC resistor/sensor ring on there to which I won't be reinstalling.

I did notice that the hollow alignment dowels on the engine side studs aren't installed, never got any on the engine when I bought it. Now that I know they are supposed to be there I will install some. So this could be part of the issue.

I think the shim was a little thin on the crank end, so I will be putting a thicker one I have on there to get me to the 12.4mm as the workshop manual states. My autobox is a 748 with a depth of 18mm that I am currently set at. So the torque converter is still seated correctly.
An observation; if the flexplate is 2.4mm thick and the standoff from the mating surface is 12.4mm then you get 14.8mm. But the TC depth is 18mm. Is 3.2mm too much space? I have a shim that is 2.xmm thick that could soak some of that up. But it seems like I am doing everything by the book and that's what its supposed to be.

So am I missing anything? I'd hate to get it all back together and have this problem persist. I was really hoping to find something broken to know what the issue was. But is all this as simple as no alignment dowels, little thin on the shim (like .10mm, 1.2 to 1.3mm shim), and stretched out TC hole on the flexplate?
Thanks,
Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 7th, 2016, 02:04 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

After measuring again just to be sure, I think the original shim is ok. Hard to get .1mm accuracy when you're upside down haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 7th, 2016, 03:04 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
I'm a little lost on the shim thing,,, where does it go??

When I put my 300 in, I just bolted it to the ZF...I didnt know anything about shims?

Of course, I didnt read the book either...oops! LOL

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 7th, 2016, 03:19 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

The shim goes on first on the crankshaft end, then the adapter plate, then the flexplate, and then the locking plate.

Something is also not right with the dowels, I ordered FRC5054, they have an OD of 15.8mm but the ID of the holes on the engine/trans are 14.8mm. I don't see them squeezing down that much?
Old August 7th, 2016, 05:25 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

The torque converter bolts also seem to have this wear on the outside, not evenly.
I torqued them through the access panel and not via the starter hole if that makes a difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1 (1).JPG
Views:	34
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	155252   Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	155253  

Old August 7th, 2016, 05:37 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoduecer View Post
The torque converter bolts also seem to have this wear on the outside, not evenly.
I torqued them through the access panel and not via the starter hole if that makes a difference.
Yeah....about those bolts.
Nobody told me NOT to use V8 bolts.
The bolts will hold just the same, but the heads for the tdi are small like D2 TC bolts.
I had to grind down a socket to make a very thin wall socket to fit the V8 bolt heads!

You think that wear is new on youirs?

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old August 7th, 2016, 06:39 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

I used brand new bolts for the install so this is recent.
This is what I used, 13mm head: Bolt Secures Flex Plate To Torque Converter (Genuine Part # FS110141M ) - Land Rover bolts\clamps\brackets\washers from Atlantic British
I didn't have any issue getting to them from the inspection plate on the front, where did you go to get access to them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300tdi, tdi