Noise control - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 14th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

The "lip" points down?

Get the fawk outta here?!?!?!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 14th, 2005, 06:26 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymoe
I have been dealing with insulating my Defender for awhile now and have found some pretty good deals along the way. I bought 100 sq ft. of Peel and Stick at Burbank Hardware for $89. It is esentialy the same stuff as Dynamat. It is asphalt based but I have had no problems with smells or off gassing. I have had it in for over a year and in some very hot temps, no smell at all. I did my bulkhead, floors, seat boxes and headliner. It has significantly cut down on noise. I also put it under my hood. It is aluminum on one side sticky on the other, and it REALY sticks. Another thing I did was used a aircraft fibreglass blanket attached to the firewall in the engine compartment. See picture. This cut down on heat and noise transfer. I still have a few of the blankets left if intersted. $20. For $110 I did my entire truck with material left over. Not too bad.

Kevin
Wow, that's cheap for 100sq ft, if it's of similar quality to Dynamat. I only know of the outgassing problem from what I've read online, so a real-life testament is better. So...would you characterize your Defender as quiet-ish now? EG have conversations on the highway in a normal voice, and phone calls don't sound like you are at a construction site?

Were you going to attach a picture? There isn't one in your message. I'm sure I'd be interested in the aircraft blanket material, if it's what I think it is. Are you a pilot also? Is Burbank Hardware a chain or a mom-and-pop shop? I'd be willing to give that a shot, but hopefully don't have to drive to Burbank to find it.
Old December 17th, 2005, 07:28 AM
Marc Weinstein
Marc Weinstein
defender 90 '94

How do you get the top of the window to lean in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 17th, 2005, 10:15 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
by using thinstrips of rubber along theoutside edge.
Old December 18th, 2005, 09:02 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
give up
Attached Images

Old January 5th, 2006, 06:26 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Jim,
I flipped the rubber seal around like it was suppose to and my windows lean in a little better. I am going to try "shimming" the outside edge to see if I can loose the weather stripping all together............. Thanks!
Old March 6th, 2008, 06:17 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Jim, will I know where the felt goes? It does not look like I have any felt on the upper rail at all... that is my rattle problem for sure...
Old March 9th, 2008, 10:03 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Well Jim??? Dammit...
Old March 9th, 2008, 12:31 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Sorry Randy - I totally didnt notice the post. How's that for failing my first test as a mod?

Anyway, you'll know where the felt goes. It just fits into the channel. Its not intuitive because the felt comes as a flat roll, and doesnt look like its going to maintain its shape or stay in at all when you stuff it in the channel. Oddly enough, it does just that. You fold the felt in half lengthwise, and stick it in the channel using a screwdriver or better yet a putty knife. Then you put the windows back in (the windows really have to come out - I thought perhaps I could "slide" the felt in there, but no way). Note there is also an "air seal" piece that can go at the bottom of the window as well, but it doesnt always fit well. The 94 has it, and everything works nicely, when I tried to install the piece in the 95, the windows got too tight to operate properly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old March 9th, 2008, 07:50 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
LOL... no problem Jim. I will order the stuff tomorrow..
Old March 11th, 2008, 11:10 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Waiting for the felt. I will see how it goes..
Old October 3rd, 2009, 10:42 PM
bennett
Bennett
'97 Defender 90 Soft Top #1140

Registry
thanks for the tutorial

just finished re-felting my windows. For future reference, you will need both short and medium rivets, 1/8" for both. This project isnt nearly the PITA i expected. Even though the felt is a bit expensive, i am surprised by how well it turned out. feel free to PM me if you ever have questions about how to do this
Old July 21st, 2011, 03:24 PM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

I know it's an old post, but I'm painting my softop window frames and would like to get new felt but not at the price RN has it for. Anyone have another source?
Old July 21st, 2011, 03:33 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Kevin, you mean like these from Garrison Outfitters?

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=25586

Doesn't look like he has any on his page right now, but contact him directly.

http://myworld.ebay.com/garrisonoutfitters
Old July 21st, 2011, 03:49 PM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

Thanks Josh, just sent him a request. I didn't even think about an option other than the felt. That felt from RN makes the CroyTec hinges look pretty reasonable!

Follow up; http://www.garrisonoutfitters.com/HomePage.html
Old July 21st, 2011, 11:16 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

I'm looking at this on my phone, so help me out. To really finish refurbing a door top you would only need a new seal between the top and the door. This kit handles everything inside the frame around the glass.
Old July 22nd, 2011, 07:34 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
The Garrison Outfitters tracks are to reclaim your sanity from rattling glass. All other tips in here are to keep the door tops flush with your top to create a "seal".
Old November 29th, 2011, 09:21 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Dave - at least one problem you are having is that the rubber trim between the door and the door top is on upside down.

It shouldnt take draconian measures like adding weatherstripping to the door tops - simply shimming the outside edge of the door works perfectly as shown by the before (pic 1) and after pics (pic 5). I cut strips of heavy duty pond liner that I bought at Home Depot to use as shims.

Here's a step by step to replace the felt-
Note that the window doesn have to be removed, but it makes everything easier.

1- slide windows to reveal the 4 screws in the channel - remove all 4 screws
2- drill out the four rivits holding in the window lock - note that there is no need to remove any of the 3 screws in this mechanism. Remove the lock.
3- drill out the two rivits at each end of the window channel
4- slide the windows to the center and pull the window channel out - the windows come with it.
5- fold the felt in half lengthwise and feed it into the appropriate channels. It takes four pieces to do one window. No, there is no adhesive or anything. You might have to use a putty knife or something to get it in there well.
6- Assembly is reverse of removal. Use aluminum rivits (steel rusts!) also avaiable at home depot. A cheap-o pop rivit gun is all you need.
Could we please have this added to custom mods? Thanks!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions