No start mystery - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 21st, 2012, 02:31 PM
rvrchuck
Chuck Hester
1995 D90

Registry
No start mystery

Having trouble with my ignition not firing. It had a low battery before all this had become an issue and was struggling to turn over due to low voltage. Put on battery charger and brought the cell back to life. When I went to start it, the guages would light, but nada. I have checked the battery (fine), the starter (fine), and looked under the passenger seat to find the ECU in water. I dried out the ECU, put it in another '95 90 and it started/ran. Still no dice on getting my 90 to start/run though. Had suggestions on checking relays in front of driver's side bulkhead and will do that next...but any other ideas? I think I'm going to try to jumpstart it to see if she'll turn over. The starter has voltage, but the wire that engages the starter has nothing going to it when I try to turn her on.

D@MN YOU PRINCE OF DARKNESS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 21st, 2012, 02:46 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
does the starter solenoid 'click' if not hit the starter with a hammer ...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old August 21st, 2012, 03:06 PM
parovertech
john palita
1973 series III,

No start

Check that the back of the ignition switch isn't loose or broken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 21st, 2012, 03:37 PM
rvrchuck
Chuck Hester
1995 D90

Registry
No, definitely not that (and that's fun to try with that darn heat shield in the way). No click no nothing.

------ Follow up post added August 21st, 2012 03:39 PM ------

checked the fuses too, nothing wrong there. So looks like next spot is the relays and possible loose connection at the ignition switch.
Old August 21st, 2012, 05:20 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
check the rollover cut out
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old August 21st, 2012, 08:20 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
check the rollover cut out
That shuts the fuel pump off.

If you do not have 12v at the starter solenoid trigger wire when ignition switch is turned to the start position I would suspect
1.that wire,
2. the starter relay (yellow, behind the dash fuse panel next to the "roll over cutout" or inertia switch as is commonly known in rover speak). There could be sevearal issues here including bad grounding or lack of battery supply to the relay.
3. the ignition switch
4 solar flares

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old August 21st, 2012, 08:30 PM
rvrchuck
Chuck Hester
1995 D90

Registry
No, I don't have 12v at the starter solenoid trigger, not even close (maybe 0.4v). I'm thinking that it's at the starter relay without having to route that wire back to its source (assuming at the relay). But would be completely stoked if it were solar flares. What's the best way to test that relay operability? Replace it? P/N?

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyddog11 View Post
That shuts the fuel pump off.

If you do not have 12v at the starter solenoid trigger wire when ignition switch is turned to the start position I would suspect
1.that wire,
2. the starter relay (yellow, behind the dash fuse panel next to the "roll over cutout" or inertia switch as is commonly known in rover speak). There could be sevearal issues here including bad grounding or lack of battery supply to the relay.
3. the ignition switch
4 solar flares
Old August 21st, 2012, 08:55 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

I think there will be another relay just like it right next to it and you can swap them see if it makes a difference. Other than that see if the white / red wire at the relay has power when switched to start (signal from ignition). there might be a fuse in between there somewhere......cant remember. Check the relay has good ground (the black wire). If those are good then suspect the power feed to the relay (brown wire) which should be battery voltage. If thats good then suspect the wire to the starter solenoid (Brown /red) this is a good time for continuity test.

It's now way past my bedtime......and I'm wicked fawkin tired..... and I dont have a wiring diagram here at home and probably should know better than to comment without it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

Old August 23rd, 2012, 08:29 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

update?

Old August 23rd, 2012, 12:59 PM
rvrchuck
Chuck Hester
1995 D90

Registry
No, not any updates as of yet...been travelling and not been able to get to it. Hoping to address it this weekend.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
start