No Start, High pitched noise from Engine compartment - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 26th, 2013, 12:00 PM
jhhorse
joe heins
1995 defender 90

No Start, High pitched noise from Engine compartment

1995 D-90 with stock 3.9L and ignition system, fuel pump changed slightly less than 1 year ago. Coil, plug wires and ignition module about same age, 1 yr old.

I have searched the forum for no start threads-and looked at all the easy things. I had an intermittent no start problem for a couple of days where it seemed that the truck was getting no fuel. If left alone for a minute or 2 after a failed start, the truck would start normally.

The last time it tried to start, it seemed like it was fuel starved, with backfire and stumbling, then it died.

Then the next attempt, no start, I don't hear the fuel pump, don't even get a stumble. Engine just turns over and over. I think I hear the fuel pump relay click when I go to position II with the switch, I am getting all the normal dash lights

I have not checked for ignition yet because I suspect no fuel.

However, with the ignition switch in the ON (II) position, there is a high pitched very low volume whining noise coming from the engine compartment.

Before I dig into the fuel system and ignition system, anyone know an obvious problem from the noise I am hearing in the engine bay? I have never heard it before and cannot seem to pinpoint it.

Thanks
Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 26th, 2013, 12:10 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhhorse View Post
1995 D-90 with stock 3.9L and ignition system, fuel pump changed slightly less than 1 year ago. Coil, plug wires and ignition module about same age, 1 yr old.

I have searched the forum for no start threads-and looked at all the easy things. I had an intermittent no start problem for a couple of days where it seemed that the truck was getting no fuel. If left alone for a minute or 2 after a failed start, the truck would start normally.

The last time it tried to start, it seemed like it was fuel starved, with backfire and stumbling, then it died.

Then the next attempt, no start, I don't hear the fuel pump, don't even get a stumble. Engine just turns over and over. I think I hear the fuel pump relay click when I go to position II with the switch, I am getting all the normal dash lights

I have not checked for ignition yet because I suspect no fuel.

However, with the ignition switch in the ON (II) position, there is a high pitched very low volume whining noise coming from the engine compartment.

Before I dig into the fuel system and ignition system, anyone know an obvious problem from the noise I am hearing in the engine bay? I have never heard it before and cannot seem to pinpoint it.

Thanks
Joe
Check the coil. Check if you have a spark. Noise could be the coil.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old January 26th, 2013, 12:17 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Coil is a good likely cause. While you are at it, check the battery and alternator condition.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 26th, 2013, 12:29 PM
jhhorse
joe heins
1995 defender 90

Thanks, noise appears to be coming from the back of the alternator, so, I will start down the ignition system path

Joe
Old January 26th, 2013, 01:40 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I'd get the alternator tested then. This sounds like bad diodes.
Old January 26th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Get a stick, put it on whatever thing you think is making the noise, put ur ear next to the stick pressing it hard enought to make that flap of cartilage cover your ear hole. Do this until you find source of the noise. Becareful obviously not to put the stick on anything that moves. I learned this from experienced mechanics.

Robert Deniro
Old January 26th, 2013, 02:45 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
Get a stick, put it on whatever thing you think is making the noise, put ur ear next to the stick pressing it hard enought to make that flap of cartilage cover your ear hole. Do this until you find source of the noise. Becareful obviously not to put the stick on anything that moves. I learned this from experienced mechanics.
Nice tip ... Or get a stethoscope and pull the end off ... Has 2 purposes ... One very directional noise finder, 2 play doctors and nurses!
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old January 26th, 2013, 07:32 PM
jhhorse
joe heins
1995 defender 90

Ignition is good, fuel issue, I can start the truck with starting fluid, runs fine, then dies out after burning it off. I will have to check the wiring to the fuel pump, or just send it to the shop.

Joe
Old February 6th, 2013, 07:20 PM
jhhorse
joe heins
1995 defender 90

So, the sound from back of alternator? Not sure. starting problem was the fuel pump, new one in and it is fixed. Well, almost.

Pump runs and truck starts fine when cold.

Fuel pump will not run and truck will not start when it is warmed up and has been driven. I can get the pump back and the truck to start if I take the plenum intake hose off and open the throttle body for 10 seconds or so.

This sounds like vapor lock to me?

Truck is back in the shop, letting them try to figure it out.
Old February 8th, 2013, 05:44 PM
jhhorse
joe heins
1995 defender 90

Fixed

Just to finish this thread off,

Three issues with my truck:

White wire into Ignition Coil connection was not solid, and fuel pump fuze was loose in socket. Apparently, both these issues, combined with an aftermarket Fuel pump, resulted in the death of the pump.

New pump would start the truck when cold, but when it warmed up, the other issues would not let it start back up.

Replaced stock connector on coil, replaced 7.5 AMP fuze with a 10 Amp (a service bulletin I was unaware) and she is running great again. thanks for the comments and help.

Joe

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine, part, start