No start fuel pump? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 20th, 2015, 12:56 PM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
So the 90 has been laid up for a bit with clutch issues. Been starting it in the garage on a regular basis. Today while working on the clutch, it will not start. Cannot hear the fuel pump coming on but when I turn key off can hear it for a couple of seconds. Any ideas? Thanks
Advertisement

Old September 21st, 2015, 09:50 AM
EnduroPro
Stephen LeBlanc
1994 Defender 90

I'm no expert:

Check the inertia switch. It's a safety shut off switch either near the fuse panel area under the dash. Others found it on the engine side of the fire wall.

Double check the relays under your dash. Maybe 2 metal ones (with brown line).
Old September 21st, 2015, 10:53 AM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Yes, checked the inertia switch, not that. Is there a way to check the relays or just buy new? If so are they readily available at auto parts store or Rover specific?

Thanks!
Advertisement

Old September 21st, 2015, 12:49 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke View Post
Yes, checked the inertia switch, not that. Is there a way to check the relays or just buy new? If so are they readily available at auto parts store or Rover specific?

Thanks!
if you put your finger on you might be able to feel them click ... swap them in case one is faulty.

The noise you hear when turning off is not the fuel pump but the AICV resetting ready to start next time.

Oh and if you've been playing near the coil ... knocking the white wire with a black trace off the coil will cause a no start as its the ignition pulse signal to the ECU. No pulse ... no fuel pump!
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old September 21st, 2015, 06:25 PM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Hmmmm. I'll check those. Thanks!
Old September 21st, 2015, 07:57 PM
LostChord
Brian
86 D110 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
if you put your finger on you might be able to feel them click ...
Long day for sure, but this threw me for a minute until i messed around with the comma

if you put your finger on you, might be able to feel them click ...

if you put your finger on, you might be able to feel them click ...
Old September 21st, 2015, 09:46 PM
ezzzzzzz
Mark Garrenton
Too many here or gone to list here

For starters check actual pressure. If you don't have a fuel pressure gauge (why not???) just turn the key to run then back off, then push in the schrader valve on the fuel rail to see if you have any fuel pressure (it will spray a bit if it's there). This non-gauge test will at least tell you if the pump is functioning at all. If ont, the next step is checking for voltage going to the pump preferably at the tank wiring. It goes backwards from there. Analytical troubleshooting is your friend.
Old September 21st, 2015, 10:22 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostChord View Post
Long day for sure, but this threw me for a minute until i messed around with the comma if you put your finger on you, might be able to feel them click ... if you put your finger on, you might be able to feel them click ...
Next time I'll bust out a semicolon ... I apologize for my tardy punctuation.

Did you test it?
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions