No start - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 8th, 2006, 10:05 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Sometime Sunday would work for me, maybe Saturday afternoon. No magic dust, but sometimes a second set of eyes/ears helps.

I usually just get Hippart on the phone when I get really stuck

charles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 8th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Charles I tell him to call me, but he messanges me at about 11pm at night, and I'm not exactly in my "rover" trouble shooting mode at that time.
Old September 8th, 2006, 10:42 PM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

Finally! I get to hear the sound of the V8 again.

Thanks to Trevor, Mike and all the rest of you for the ideas. I think it was a case of bad flooding, and my own bad troubleshooting which made it worse.

Here's a couple of lessons learned for the archives:
1. When you floor the throttle, it tells the computer that you're clearing a flooded engine and won't send any fuel to the injectors. I think that I must have been starting with the throttle only partially open and it kept dumping more fuel into the cylinders
2. You need to have the air intake, the MAF connector, and all the other connectors when starting. I had pulled a couple of things when troubleshooting and I'm sure I just confused the computer even more.

I guess I should have payed more attention in Auto Shop class in high school

Steve mentioned that he flooded the truck so badly that gas got into the oil. I'm smelling gas in my oil too, I think.

How bad is that?

thanks again all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 8th, 2006, 10:56 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Just change the oil and you should be fine. Gas in the oil is one of the main reasons you change the oil every 3000 miles or so. It breaks the oil down. Glad she's running!
Old September 9th, 2006, 08:54 AM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by loykd
Finally! I get to hear the sound of the V8 again.

Thanks to Trevor, Mike and all the rest of you for the ideas. I think it was a case of bad flooding, and my own bad troubleshooting which made it worse.

Here's a couple of lessons learned for the archives:
1. When you floor the throttle, it tells the computer that you're clearing a flooded engine and won't send any fuel to the injectors. I think that I must have been starting with the throttle only partially open and it kept dumping more fuel into the cylinders
2. You need to have the air intake, the MAF connector, and all the other connectors when starting. I had pulled a couple of things when troubleshooting and I'm sure I just confused the computer even more.

I guess I should have payed more attention in Auto Shop class in high school

Steve mentioned that he flooded the truck so badly that gas got into the oil. I'm smelling gas in my oil too, I think.

How bad is that?

thanks again all!

Change the oil before you run the engine. I spun the main bearings in a carb. engine once from the same problems that you are having.
Old September 9th, 2006, 10:59 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

That is awesome! Congrats on figuring it out!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
start