No Start 300tdi - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 9th, 2015, 12:38 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Did you crack the injectors to purge any air?

Edit... John wins again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 9th, 2015, 12:46 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
I think the problem ends up that the injection pump can't produce enough pressure to pop the injectors when the lines are full of air.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old June 9th, 2015, 01:30 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Timing is most likely not the issue.
You have a fuel delivery issue, most likely starvation, but could also be water.
White smoke can indicate water in the fuel and it can also be the result of too little fuel.
If you have a sedimenter drain it.
As John B suggests cracking the injectors will go a long way to bleed air from the fuel system.
BUT
If you have a flow restriction like a clogged pickup or a suction side air leak, it can overwork your pump diaphragm and cause it to fail.
This may be what did your last one in.

Installing a fuel system with the following routing will be self bleeding, trap water, and expose most all suction side air leaks.
Tank --> sedimenter --> 12V fuel pump --> lift pump --> filter --> IP --> Tank

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 9th, 2015, 01:41 PM
kzack
Keith Zack
none

Thanks guys I will bleed at the injectors and see what happens.

Thanks, Keith
Old June 24th, 2015, 07:35 AM
kzack
Keith Zack
none

Guys,

Thank you to those helping me out with this. Sorry for the delay in posting - time rarely permits me to work on the 90.

I've taken the valve cover off and everything moves as it should. The pick-up tube in the tank is excellent and no holes. There is no sedimentor. The fuel line is excellent and no holes / cracks.

I took the new lift pump off and manually checked it and it is excellent.

I bled at the injectors, but that did not help. I replaced the spill lines between injectors, but that did not help. I checked the boost diaphragm in the injection pump and it looks good.

If I shut the engine off and immediately disconnect the fuel line from the tank, there is barely any fuel at all in the line (the feed line). But always while running, the fuel filter is topped up. Possibly the fuel is leaking back, but I can't find any leaks (fuel or air).

Lots of white smoke (unspent fuel) and tapping from the engine. I captured a video, but too stoopid to know how to attach.

Is there any way a bad shut-off solenoid could cause this behavior?

Thanks, Keith
Old June 24th, 2015, 02:56 PM
Ruthiford
Jason
1986 D110

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzack View Post

Is there any way a bad shut-off solenoid could cause this behavior?

Thanks, Keith
Yes. Years ago I had a Dodge Cummins with a Bosch VE. It started intermittently not starting but also not shutting off. I took the fuel solenoid out, removed the plunger and spring. I found metal shavings that were getting attracted by the magnetism of the solenoid and sticking the plunger open and closed (open/in for run, closed/out for stop)

Before I could get the pump rebuilt I had to remove the plunger completely. This caused the engine to run all the time. Luckily the dodge/Cummins VE had a kill lever on the side of the pump.

long story short, yes, you can remove the plunger, it just screws in, and the engine should run, IF the pump internally is fine. Be prepared to kill the engine only with the clutch because AFAIK, there is no other safe way to kill it except starve it for air (choke off the turbo inlet, which is less than safe....)
Old October 24th, 2015, 04:35 PM
Scassill
Steve Cassills
1989 Land Rover 90

Registry
Keith, what ended up being the problem? My 2.5 tdi has same symptoms and air in the lines was not the challenge.
Thanks
Steve

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300tdi, start, tdi