no spark suggestions? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 22nd, 2005, 06:49 PM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

no spark suggestions?

i dont have any spark from coil-new coil, plugs,wires ,distributor,optima.i have it wired up as-two white wires (one small and one small but thicker than the other small)to the positive and two white with black stripes(one wire with black has a vertical stripe and the other has horizontal black stripes)to the negative.any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 23rd, 2005, 11:02 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

The negative side of the coil will have one white wire from the distributor amplifier and one black sleeved wire that runs to the bulkhead that is for the tach. The Positive side will the white and the white/black stipe wire. One of these two is the positive 12v ignition switched wire which you probably have hooked up to the negative by mistake and is easy to determine by hooking up a volt meter and switching the ignition on and off. If this does not work, just pm me and I will walk you through all the wires.
Old April 23rd, 2005, 02:36 PM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

i had the white 12v to the positive side- i did switch the white and wwhite w/black stripe-still nothing-is there a way to tell if the icm is bad?i failed to mention i have the mallory unlite and mallory coil-if it matters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 23rd, 2005, 09:03 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

By connecting to the wrong side of the coil, you probably blew the unilite module. Put a volt meter on the negative post of the coil and take off the distributor cap and remove the rotor. You should have 12 volts. Put something like a credit card into the modules eye to block it and now you should read 3-4 volts. If it does not change, then you blew it. The good news is there is a new module that is half the price by Mallory called the e-spark module. I just replaced mine. The cheapest places are summit racing and centuryperformance.com. They are about 45 or $50 bucks.
Old April 23rd, 2005, 11:19 PM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

chris-did not have the ignition switched wire in the wrong side-so if i had it that wire on the positive side(the correct side)could i still have blown the module?i will do the check you recomend.i should also say that i am not get anything from the coil wire to the cap-not just the spark of the spark plugs?
Old April 23rd, 2005, 11:39 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

If the module is blown, then there is nothing to tell the coil to spark at all. And yes, those modules are finicky if hooked up wrong (regardless of how it is wrong) they may blow, but when right, they are pretty good.
Old April 24th, 2005, 12:12 AM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

chris-did you wire your unlite straight to the coil or did you wire to the hareness of the old distributor? i wired in to the harness of the old distributor.does it matter?
Old April 24th, 2005, 10:54 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

It does not matter. I used the old harness after verifying which wire was which with an ohm meter.
Old April 24th, 2005, 01:49 PM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

i hooked up to the negtive post and i have 12v there.i am not getting any volts to the distributor.the wiring is run from the coil to the icm then from the icm to the distributor.i have 12 v at the coil then the plug from the coil to the icm has 12v. the plug coming out of the icm has about half a volt coming out of it.i did have a parts store test the icm yesterday he said it tested okay but it got very hot.would the icm have any thing to do with no spark.
Old April 25th, 2005, 07:24 AM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

chris-i wired the distibutor directly to the coil and did the test with the credit card- it tested okay-the volts went down to 3.i would have to say my ignition control module is bad becuase thats the only thing i bypassed was the icm(maybe the autoparts store was worng)? are there relays i should check first?
Old April 25th, 2005, 06:13 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

There are no relays--which coil are you running? Depending on the coil, you can easily bypass the icm and run the truck. If it is a new icm like a hyfire and/or msd, then there are questions on the tach trigger for the spark not triggering the fuel injectors that may need to be addressed. This is what has kept me from getting a hyfire--I just don't want the hassle. Sam at Century Perfomance should be able to hook you up with this info.

Best regards,
c
Old April 25th, 2005, 08:38 PM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

chris -if you or anyone cares-i finaly got it started.i wired it directly to the coil(not through the orginal distibuter harness from the icm)turned right over.just wanted to say thanks for the input and the help!!!!
Old April 25th, 2005, 09:59 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Right on--that is awesome!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions