No Spark issue, can't for the life of me figure it out. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 26th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

No Spark issue, can't for the life of me figure it out.

Argh, I changed just about everything I could think of. +12 volts to + side on the NEW coil, checked + and - leads with new connector to NEW ignition module, was fine on both lines, replaced new distributor pick up, still nothing. Checked the black chicklet ground. Even replaced the ECU with a spare one, still no spark. Am I missing something here that can prevent spark? I used my D110 as a test mule and im getting spark right from the coil lead without the cap in place, can't replicate this on the D90 even with the new parts and even with +12 volts going to the coil. Heeeellllppppppppppppppp mehh

Robert Deniro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 26th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Alternator?
Old November 26th, 2010, 07:14 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

I just replaced it with a brand new one from BP like 4/5 months ago. If the alternators down it won't spark? Got plenty of battery power and it did start for a short time a week ago although it ran like crap. Fuel is fine, pump primes with fuel comming out. Just no spark, dunno why, I don't get it. Could it be Vss?

Robert Deniro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 26th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

shouldn't be the VSS if we're talking about the '94. Could (theoretically) be the alternator as well as the computer.
Old November 26th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Yep its for the 94" I can try another alternator, lemme get the one in my garage from autozone as a test mule, if it is the alternator I will warrnty through BP. Thanks for the idea, at least I have a new direction to look to lol

Robert Deniro
Old November 26th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Yah, I had a bad voltage regulator in a rebuild I got, produced fine power but didn't play nicely with the ignition system. It's worth a try.
Old November 26th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

So a bad voltage regulator will cause no spark? I put in my 4.2 ECU and still no spark at all, so i put back the disco one and no changes. Hope it is the alternator, if it is i'll be relieved and pissed at the same time.

Robert Deniro
Old November 26th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

For me it caused an intermittent spark as it slowly killed the ignition module. So it's conceivable that it could be causing no start, I suppose, if it's in very bad shape.
Old November 26th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

On this thread I saw some helpful info, http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ead.php?t=5559 gonna go through this. Also, whatst this about the ignition resistor? Suppost to look like a mini car audio amp? Something located next to the wiper motor in the dash and is hard to get to, could this be causing my problem perhaps?

Robert Deniro
Old November 27th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Gonna change that alternator this weekend hopefully, anyone have any other suggestions? Help is appreciated.

Robert Deniro
Old November 28th, 2010, 09:49 PM
texmoto
david summers
99 Discovery II

A couple of questions: Have you checked the 6k ohm resister between the coil and the ECU? Also, does your vehicle have the ignition module relocation kit?
Old November 29th, 2010, 12:41 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by texmoto View Post
A couple of questions: Have you checked the 6k ohm resister between the coil and the ECU? Also, does your vehicle have the ignition module relocation kit?
You know what I've heard of that before here, where can I find this? I'mma do a search, any pointers on how to check that to see if its any good, is it this thing wrapped in the black tape thats connected to the harness going to the MAF?

Robert Deniro
Old November 29th, 2010, 01:03 PM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

Check for spark at the coil. If there is spark there and not at the spark plugs then the problem is at the cap or rotor. If no spark at the coil then the problem will be on the low voltage side or coil. The ignition amplifier acts like the capacitor did in the old points syle ignition and the pick-up in the distributor acts like the points did in the old style ignition. Make sure you have a fully charged battery because if the voltage is below 12v the spark will be weak.
Old November 29th, 2010, 01:54 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
You know what I've heard of that before here, where can I find this? I'mma do a search, any pointers on how to check that to see if its any good, is it this thing wrapped in the black tape thats connected to the harness going to the MAF?
Yes, it is the "chicklet"
Old November 29th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Yes, it is the "chicklet"
From my search, it would appear that the chicket is more of a fuel issue than a spark issue? I'll check it anyway but does this sound like it could be the culprit to my no spark issue? Also British pacific says they don't sell this chicklet resistor, said I'd have to go to an electronic store. sigh.

------ Follow up post added November 29th, 2010 11:53 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRover View Post
Check for spark at the coil. If there is spark there and not at the spark plugs then the problem is at the cap or rotor. If no spark at the coil then the problem will be on the low voltage side or coil. The ignition amplifier acts like the capacitor did in the old points syle ignition and the pick-up in the distributor acts like the points did in the old style ignition. Make sure you have a fully charged battery because if the voltage is below 12v the spark will be weak.
I checked the thicker wire going to the + and my test lamp lit up with the keys at 2nd position. I know another wire from the + of the coil goes to the ignition module and a wire from the - on the coil also goes to the ignition module as well but theres another wire going to the - from the harness I think, is that the low tension? Any idea what this connects to is it just a ground? Can I just run a test wire from that to a ground just to see if thats the problem? I've changed everything short of the actual distributor and I still can't get no spark either from the coil or distributor. I took the coil wire to the distributer as a test on my 110 and that sparked fine, even with the cap off (spark from lead to coil) Also Battery is fully charged, i keep it plugged into a float charger, turns over ok, just no spark.

Robert Deniro
Old November 30th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Rocketman
Scott Y
95 D90 SW, 2003 Disco II, 93 D110

You may want to check the continuity of all of the wires associated with creating a spark. Years ago, I chased a problem on a Datsun 280Z, replacing the computer, MAF, coil, etc. Still had an intermittent problem -- eventually found a broken wire in the wire harness. Broken wire went to the distributor pickup. Replaced five feet of wire in harness and never had another problem.
Old November 30th, 2010, 11:02 AM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Do you have a good multimeter? You are going to need it to start testing wiring, resistor values, etc. A helper would be nice too so they can crank the engine while you watch the meter.

It's time to break out the wiring diagrams and start working back from the coil in a nice methodical method to see where the issue may be.
Old November 30th, 2010, 01:32 PM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

If you have 12v going to the + side of the coil (for a 12v coil without a resistor) with no spark at the coil lead with the engine cranking, then something is preventing the coil from getting the signal to create the spark. That has to be the harness going to the ignition amplifier, the amplifier itself, or its connections, or the pick-up inside the distributor. The pick-up inside the distributor and the ignition amplifier tell the coil when to create the spark. My 95 does not have a resistor and has a 12v coil. Sorry I'm not more help - good luck.
Old November 30th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Makes sense, and I appreciate the help, I put in a new ignition module and still no spark along with the new pick up in the distributor and I set the dwell to .010 I don't understand. I even checked the wires from the coil to the ignition module and they are getting power (my test lamp lights up) And I am getting power to the coil when I turn the key to the #2 position, my test lamp lights up. I have a volt meter but I don't really know how to use it, don't know which settings to use. I know lame. I guess the new ignition module could be bad, what are the chances of that? I have one more spare to try and then by then if that dosen't work I don't know what to do other than tow it to a mechanic. I don't know how the chicklet can prevent spark because on the britishv8.net page regarding the chicklet thing says that an open or bad circuit would let the ecu wonder about engine speed, didn't say anything about no spark.

Robert Deniro
Old November 30th, 2010, 04:58 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Neil,

I have to run some errands for the next hour or so, but I am real good at electronics. Let me check the wiring diagrams and I'll do up a quick troubleshooting flowchart.

You have a NAS 94 with the 3.9 in it still, yes?

Don't worry, using a multimeter is not hard and you will be fine with it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions