No Spark at the Plugs - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 28th, 2015, 10:20 PM
gwmckee
George
1994 NAS D90 #1919

No Spark at the Plugs

Hi All,

Drove 600 miles to a friend's and back this weekend and the Defender was awesome! Got home, unpacked, drove to the grocery store and she crapped out on the way home. Just kind of faded away as I was stopping at a stop sign. Here's where I am...

Cranks but won't start.
- Pulled the #8 plug and got no spark. I did smell fuel when cranked (good sign?)
- Pulled the coil wire off of the coil and got spark.
- Replaced the cap, rotor, plugs and wires about 1,000 miles ago with an OEM kit.
- Today I replaced the ignition amplifier module (not relocated). In order to do that, I pulled the dizzy but am certain I got it and the rotor back exactly where they were to begin with (marked in three places and all are spot on). Cranked the engine but it still won't fire.
- Plugs are in the correct position on the cap.
- Rotor turns when cranked.
- Hear the fuel pump do its thing when the key is in the "on" position.
- No codes are being thrown.

Any Ideas? Bad coil or dizzy maybe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 28th, 2015, 10:45 PM
gwmckee
George
1994 NAS D90 #1919

Traded them for a spare tire cover I can get them though and check. I did notice that the original rotor came off the distributor easily but the new one doesn't want to come off. I don't remember having to force it on.

One other (maybe) point of interest... I decided to run the a/c on my trip to the grocery store. Just installed a new blower motor and cleaned up the evaporator etc. Since it's been ungodly humid lately, the condensation is significant (drips on the floor). There's a lot of wiring around the passenger footwell. The fuses are fine but maybe a relay??
Old August 2nd, 2015, 09:52 PM
gwmckee
George
1994 NAS D90 #1919

OK - not that anyone cares but thought I would close the loop anyway. Turns out it was a bad distributor. Things I did along the way to figuring that out...

1. Changed the ignition amplifier module (a total of three times)
2. Replaced the coil
3. Tried new rotor and cap (event though the set on the truck were new OEM)
4. AB Ignition Module Relocation Kit (couldn't get it to work. Will be returning tomorrow). Based on the design of this thing, I think it would be just as easy to take the distributor out to replace the amplifier if it goes again.

Big "Thank You" to Arthur and Greg at Rovers North for finally helping me figure it out. One of the tell-tail signs... the rotor didn't want to come off the distributor. Arthur said they got so hot that sometimes they seem almost fused onto the distributor.

Anyway, picked up a timing gun at harbor freight, set the timing and took her for a nice long test drive. She runs like a top now.

------ Follow up post added August 2nd, 2015 09:53 PM ------

Oh - got the distributor from Rovers North.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions