No Sound from Speakers - Dead Amp? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 10th, 2013, 06:17 PM
gonzanc
Nick
'95 4.2L NAS D90

No Sound from Speakers - Dead Amp?

Ok, so my speakers were working fine before I changed my original gauges to VDO. Had the battery disconnected during change over and when I get done, no sound from speakers. The factory radio and cd changer work just fine and all of the connections are secure at the back of the radio, which leads me to think it is the AMP that is the problem.

I checked the fuse for the Amp and it is fine (albeit seems like a loose conndection). The wiring harnesses at the amp are also connected properly. Does anyone know how to definitively tell if the Amp is dead?

Also, anyone have any idea as to what the problem could be if it isnt the amp?

***1995 D-90 NAS ST***
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 11th, 2013, 10:42 AM
gonzanc
Nick
'95 4.2L NAS D90

bump for a true head scratcher...
Old May 11th, 2013, 10:51 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Most likely it's a fuse blown somewhere ... i normally take the cover off the fuses then test each device in the picture .. indicator, hazards, wiper etc .... generally find something that doesn't work and you'll find the amp on that fused line ...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 11th, 2013, 10:55 AM
gonzanc
Nick
'95 4.2L NAS D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
Most likely it's a fuse blown somewhere ... i normally take the cover off the fuses then test each device in the picture .. indicator, hazards, wiper etc .... generally find something that doesn't work and you'll find the amp on that fused line ...
This was my initial thought too,but I have pulled every fuse twice and checked! All the fuses checked out.
Old May 11th, 2013, 10:58 AM
WD90
Dan
1995 NAS Defender 90

Registry
How about the signal (rca) cables? I have a Kenwood head unit that randomly stops sending a sound signal. I have to kill all power to the unit before it begins working again.
Old May 11th, 2013, 11:07 AM
gonzanc
Nick
'95 4.2L NAS D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by WD90 View Post
How about the signal (rca) cables? I have a Kenwood head unit that randomly stops sending a sound signal. I have to kill all power to the unit before it begins working again.
I didn't see any RCA cables at the back of the head unit. It is a stock LR radio and simply has the multi pin plugs in the back. I pulled both plugs and reattached to no avail.
Old May 11th, 2013, 11:49 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
is it getting power .... it should have one power lead from the accessory circuit and a switched power from the head and a ground ... 8 wires are speaker pairs ... and 4 or maybe wires should be the input from the head unit that should be easy to spot ...
Old May 11th, 2013, 12:04 PM
gonzanc
Nick
'95 4.2L NAS D90

Quote:
is it getting power .... it should have one power lead from the accessory circuit and a switched power from the head and a ground ... 8 wires are speaker pairs ... and 4 or maybe wires should be the input from the head unit that should be easy to spot ...
There is definitely power going to the head unit as it is working (lights, stations, etc)...I'll have to meter the output for the speakers to see if I am getting anything from them...to be quite honest, I am about to change head units anyway, so I may just have the new unit installed and go from there
Old May 11th, 2013, 01:16 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
I got a Sony one with Bluetooth. Works quite well with remote mic
Old May 11th, 2013, 01:49 PM
gonzanc
Nick
'95 4.2L NAS D90

Quote:
I got a Sony one with Bluetooth. Works quite well with remote mic

I'm thinking about putting in a unit with navi, BT, and all the goodie
Old May 11th, 2013, 02:09 PM
javelinadave
-
-

If the amp comes unplugged, unpowered or dies you won't get any sound. You said the plug looks good so I would get out your volt meter and be sure that you have 12v to the amp plug. If you do then I would suspect that the amp has moved on to greener pastures. The stock radio isn't the greatest so this may be a blessing in disguise.
Old May 11th, 2013, 05:06 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

My '97 speaker issues are the factory wires when passing from door frame to door. They break because the factory wire is do damn stiff. that length of wire needs to be replaced withe something larger & more flexible .... like 14ga extension cord wire.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
speakers