No power to fuse for Fuel pump on 94 D90. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 18th, 2008, 05:49 PM
B-Kerr
Scott Carter
1994 D-90 POE - Green

No power to fuse for Fuel pump on 94 D90.

Here's the story... I had been running on a noisy fuel pump for like 4 years in my 94 D90 POE NAS - all the while carrying around a spare pump. Finally decided to install my fuel tank skid plate so I replaced my pump at the same time. YEAH! Finally no noise from the fuel pump. Rig drove/ran great for about two weeks. One day I drove to work, parked it, 4-5 hours later got ready to leave for lunch and the truck wouldn't start. Couple times I got it to hit, but would not stay running for more than a second.

Not thinking enough (as usual), I assume the pump had taken too much abuse in my side box and decided it was bad. So, last night I pulled the pump and tested it and it was fine. Swapped the fuel pump relay in PS kick and it all appeared fine. Check the fuse in dash fuse box (only one I can find), and it has no power. I can jumper it and the fuel pump comes to life - only problem is that it stays running; i.e., it does not cycle with the ecu to prime the sytem. Now I can't get the truck to start. Pulled the plugs and they are wet, but I am getting spark...

What gives? Any ideas here? Should the fuse be hot all the time, or is its power regulated by the ECU? Do I have a bad ECU?

Please help - winter is coming (as is the best time to wheel!)

Thanks,
Scott
aka B-Kerr
Advertisement

Old October 18th, 2008, 07:18 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
sounds like a relay
Old October 19th, 2008, 09:53 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
It does sound like a relay. Did you try replacing both relays?

I've actually just had a similar experience with mine and it turned out to be the actual ignition switch. Are you sure you're getting spark? In my scenario I knew I wasn't getting power at the fuel pump and it turned out I wasn't getting spark either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 20th, 2008, 10:44 AM
B-Kerr
Scott Carter
1994 D-90 POE - Green

The only relay I know of on a 94 is the one in the kick panel by the ECU that the white and purple wire to the pump goes through. What other relay is there? I did swap in a couple of different relays to no avail. I do have spark to the plugs, and after jumping the fuse, I have power to the pump. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks again,
Scott
Old October 20th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Tim Scully
Tim Scully
95 D90 SW/ 95 RR LWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Kerr
The only relay I know of on a 94 is the one in the kick panel by the ECU that the white and purple wire to the pump goes through. What other relay is there? I did swap in a couple of different relays to no avail. I do have spark to the plugs, and after jumping the fuse, I have power to the pump. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks again,
Scott
Two silver relays under the passenger seat panel... the one with the purple/white and white/purple wires is the fuel pump relay... the one with the brown wires is the main relay...
Old October 21st, 2008, 09:25 AM
B-Kerr
Scott Carter
1994 D-90 POE - Green

Scully, Do you have a diagram for the fuel relay... what does the 87 and 87a pin look like? tied together? switched? I really don't think the relay is my problem since I have a running fuel pump and fuel to the rail when I jump the fuse, but I am open to any suggestions. Let me know on the relay diagram. Pics can be sent to hwy79ky@alltel.net.
Old October 21st, 2008, 02:50 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
I don't have a diagram for the relay but the relay itself should have one on the side. Just recently I bought two of these relays (http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/AFU2913OE.cfm) and if you look closely you can see much of the diagram.

More to the point though, from what you've said it sounds to me like the relay is exactly your problem. If the pump runs when you're jumping over the relay, but then it doesn't run when you have to rely on the relay then replacing the relay sounds like a good place to start. Also keep in mind that there are two identical relays that govern the ECU and fuel pump. I am pretty sure that both are needed to be functional in getting power to the fuel pump.
Old October 22nd, 2008, 12:53 PM
Tim Scully
Tim Scully
95 D90 SW/ 95 RR LWB

Yeah the pins are labeled on the relay...
Old October 22nd, 2008, 01:07 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

I just had that problem with my truck - and it ended up being the two relays under the passenger seat as well.

Flagg
Old October 22nd, 2008, 01:56 PM
B-Kerr
Scott Carter
1994 D-90 POE - Green

Cool... I'll give it another look.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 06:43 PM
B-Kerr
Scott Carter
1994 D-90 POE - Green

You guys are correct... it was not the fuel relay, but actually the relay with all the brown wires that made her start right up! Still odd that my relays were in the kick panel instead of under the seat. I'm just happy I don't need a ECU!

THANKS!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90, fuel