No heat from lower vents/footwell - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 28th, 2014, 12:51 PM
wmatos1001
William
1994 NAS Defender 90

Registry
No heat from lower vents/footwell

Still learning about my first LR Def 90 and noticed now it is winter that no matter where I position the heating air circulation level (fully up for windshield for fully down for footwell) the hot air only blows out of the windshield vent. I get no heat at all in the footwell. I searched but didn't find anything on this. Is this a problem others have?

The level moves perfectly fine and "clicks" into the fully, up, middle and lower position but nothing changes with airflow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 28th, 2014, 12:58 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

You could be moving the lever but not the cable. Check on the heater box, have someone move the lever in the cab and then you should see one of the dampers on the heater box move. If it's not moving check the ends and the set screws to see if it's slipping. Otherwise might be broke inside the cable sleeve.
Old November 28th, 2014, 01:02 PM
wmatos1001
William
1994 NAS Defender 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoduecer View Post
You could be moving the lever but not the cable. Check on the heater box, have someone move the lever in the cab and then you should see one of the dampers on the heater box move. If it's not moving check the ends and the set screws to see if it's slipping. Otherwise might be broke inside the cable sleeve.
Thank you so much for the quick response. I will need to locate the heather box then will get right on it. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 28th, 2014, 01:19 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Is any air blowing out of the lower vents?

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old November 28th, 2014, 01:21 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

No problem. Open up the hood and in the far left corner (assuming yours is the 94 NAS) you will see a big black box with two rubber heater hoses and two bike cable looking things going to it. One of the cables is for the hot/cold and one is for the dash/floor.
Old November 28th, 2014, 01:25 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoduecer View Post
No problem. Open up the hood and in the far left corner (assuming yours is the 94 NAS) you will see a big black box with two rubber heater hoses and two bike cable looking things going to it. One of the cables is for the hot/cold and one is for the dash/floor.
That is not correct. One is hot cold and one to to block air coming in. The dash/floor control is inside the lower dash and incredibly hard to access.

Old November 28th, 2014, 01:28 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

After I typed that I was just wondering because I just put my dash back together. Fail...sorry.
Old November 28th, 2014, 02:03 PM
wmatos1001
William
1994 NAS Defender 90

Registry
Thanks guys. I found the heater box and two cables going to it. Neither move when I adjust from floor vent to windshield vent. And to answer the second question no air flows from the footwell vents. All hot air comes out the windshield vent only. Thankfully it blows pretty darn hot but my feed a frigid.

------ Follow up post added November 28th, 2014 02:04 PM ------

How would I go about access to the dash/floor control cable? Is it removing the lower dash?
Old November 28th, 2014, 02:15 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Okay.... The defrost/lower vent control opens flaps that block off the lower vents. The cable runs from the control lever to these flaps that are hidden inside the lower dash. If the cable is disconnected at the lever, it should be easy to fix. If it is disconnected inside the dash, it is a serious pain to fix......

Reach with your hand into the low vent holes. You should feel a foam covered plate. That is the flap. Try pushing it open with your hand. It is best to try pushing both at the same time. If you can push them open and prop them to stay that way, you will have heat....

Old November 28th, 2014, 02:15 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
you need to pull the lever cover off and make sure the cable end had not slipped out of the screw clamp that is supposed to hold it. The set it is a very small screw. If that has loosened, or the cable clamp just behind it that holds the outer cable have losened the cable will not actuate when the lever moves

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 28th, 2014, 02:16 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Okay.... The defrost/lower vent control opens flaps that block off the lower vents. The cable runs from the control lever to these flaps that are hidden inside the lower dash. If the cable is disconnected at the lever, it should be easy to fix. If it is disconnected inside the dash, it is a serious pain to fix......

Reach with your hand into the low vent holes. You should feel a foam covered plate. That is the flap. Try pushing it open with your hand. It is best to try pushing both at the same time. If you can push them open and prop them to stay that way, you will have heat....

Old November 28th, 2014, 02:38 PM
wmatos1001
William
1994 NAS Defender 90

Registry
Thank you both I will check behind the lever cover to see dif had slipped off or not. If not I will see if I can force the flaps open by pushing up the foam covers as you suggest. Thanks again.
Old November 28th, 2014, 06:38 PM
wmatos1001
William
1994 NAS Defender 90

Registry
I took off the vent panel and all seemed connected so I went the easy way out as suggested and propped the lower vent closure flap open with a screw driver. Took a bit to get it to stay up and now it is up completely on its own.

Man now I'm getting some serious heat, dare I say too hot! Very much appreciated. I live in Greenland New Hampshire and it is in the high 20's today. Went to get our Christmas tree and was toasty warm thanks to you guys and this post.

Thanks again!
Old January 22nd, 2016, 11:02 PM
Matt_110
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
you need to pull the lever cover off and make sure the cable end had not slipped out of the screw clamp that is supposed to hold it. The set it is a very small screw. If that has loosened, or the cable clamp just behind it that holds the outer cable have losened the cable will not actuate when the lever moves
Not to go back in time too much Uncle Douglas, but do you have any idea if there is a part number for this screw clamp or where j can find a "like" replacement?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
footwell