No Heat!!!! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 6th, 2006, 11:37 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

No Heat!!!!

Hi everyone,

I need help again! A few weeks ago I started a thread about the control levers on the left of the steering wheel (one is hi-low, on is temperature). My hi-low had failed going into winter. I knew I would want my heat to the floor.

To get me through the winter, I ended up just proping the bottom vent open (under the steering wheel). This was working fine. My heat was coming out at the windshield and the floor. Perfect! I knew I was going to take the side levers off and try to fix the high low - but I thought that could wait til the spring

We had some nice weather days over the last few weeks, and I was moving the temperature lever from hot to cool on different days. We have now had our first real cold spell. I drove the D90 tonight for the first time since this cold spell has started. I moved the temperature lever to hot............after the engine was totally warmed up from my drive, there was still NO heat coming from the winshield or to the floor.

------------------------------------------------------

I figure that the temperature lever goes to a cable just like the high/low lever. I am guessing that cable goes through a sleeve or clamp, and that the cable is now slipping through the sleeve and it is stuck in the cold position.

I am going to try to unscrew the lever controls Friday or Saturday and see what is up. I am hoping that once inside there I can manually pull what the lever should be pulling, and set my car up for heat in the winter. In past years, I usually left the heat on full and varried the blower speed.............

I really need to fix the levers for good, and take apart the dash and get the speedo light working again.............but that is another story!

------------------------------------------------------

If anyone has any thoughts or advice, or thinks this could be something other then the lever control, please let me know! Thanks!

Flagg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 6th, 2006, 11:53 PM
jorge
JORGE ESPINOZA
97 ST WHITE MODS SUPERCHARGED

Registry
Is your blower motor working ? if not ,I had the same issue and it was the blower motor connector which needed some electrical grease. The connector is located in the back of the blower motor and the fire wall. I love to play in waterholes and mud so this probably was a contributing factor for the rust at the connector . Hope this is helpful.
Old December 7th, 2006, 12:05 AM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Jorge,

The blower motor seems to be working fine. It is just now blowing cool air.........I can increase or decrease that cool air with the lever to the right of the steering wheel......is that what you were asking???

Thanks,

Flagg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 7th, 2006, 12:22 AM
jorge
JORGE ESPINOZA
97 ST WHITE MODS SUPERCHARGED

Registry
Sorry I couldn't help but I had a blower motor problem only.
Old December 7th, 2006, 03:08 AM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
make sure you have your radiator topped up. I ran my water low in th my Disco a few weeks ago and my heater blew cold air until I topped it off.
Old December 7th, 2006, 07:39 AM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Hey Bert, that hot/cold control lever operates the damper on top of the heater box. If the cable is stuck, you can pop the hood and adjust the lever on the box itself. If your cable is froze up you may have to disconnect it from the lever, but you probably won't have to.
Old December 7th, 2006, 10:47 AM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Rod,

Adjusting the lever on the heater box itself seems like a good solution to get me through the winter.......

I am not a complete idiot - but when it comes to engines I pretty much am. I can change my wheels, fumble through breaks, maybe do an oil change, and take apart the inside of the car But when it comes to under the hood with the engine or with the suspension, I have never had much experience (thought I feel like the this D90 will sooner or later turn me into a mechanic)!

When I raise my hood, what am I looking for. Does the heater box have a sticker on it that says "heater box?" Will this lever be obvious? Does the owners manual itentify the heater box? I am off work tomorrow, and am going to see if I can get my heat back on then.......

Thanks for being patient with me.........

Flagg
Old December 7th, 2006, 10:53 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

If the cable is stuck, you can pop the hood and adjust the lever on the box itself"

Big black thing on the P/S with a cable running across the top. On my old D90 I did not even fart around with it, I just would change it open for winter and closed for summer under the hood with a set of pliars Took me a good two months to figure out it was broken when I first got the truck because I had heard the heaters really sucked so I assumed it was normal to have only slightly warm air blowing in the cabin.
Old December 7th, 2006, 12:51 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Yes, I also had to make do with the temporary under the hood thing for a season.

My hope is to one day do away with these cables and use an electric setup with "modern" rotary controls on the facia - like a Toyota Corolla among other setups. Probably a difficult conversion but certainly worth it once done.

Also, I'd like a setup to recirculate interior air for faster warmup, especially on the diesel. Plan is to fit a flap on the blower intake and a y-pipe with one end sourcing flow from the cabin. Cable operated for now but electric ideally. Finally, the other input to the y-pipe will not be from the stock setup through the fender top (a stupid system in my opinion): it will be routed to the front grill area.
Old December 7th, 2006, 04:37 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

THANKS!!!! You guys are the best!

Tomorrow I will try to find and adjust the lever on the heater box........I will report back! Thank for all the advice and decriptions!

Flagg
Old December 7th, 2006, 11:54 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

My buddy Marc gave me a good tip today on that control cable. Remove the cable and cable housing and soak the whole thing in a bucket of antifreeze overnight. Should help the seizing issue. Another fix is to go to a bike shop and pick up some replacement cable and housing. Flagg, since you're unfamiliar with the location of things, you should definitely pick up a copy of the RAVE CD, which contains repair manuals for your truck. It makes working on this stuff so much easier!

Also, invest in a drop curtain. It's the best money you'll ever spend on your 90.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old December 8th, 2006, 12:50 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

UPDATE!

I now have Heat back in the truck!

I have installed my drop curtain (which I got this summer - it helped with the Air Conditioning in the summer - I can not wait to see what it does for me in the winter)!

I installed my Radiator Muff! I am ready for the cold (or as least as ready as you can be in the D90

Thanks everyone!!!

Flagg
Old December 8th, 2006, 04:57 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
I have to second the Radiator Muff! Very helpful!
Old December 8th, 2006, 05:05 PM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

Where'dya source the muffs from?
Old December 8th, 2006, 05:08 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steinhnj
Where'dya source the muffs from?
http://www.roversnorth.com/store/pc-...uff-90110.aspx
Old December 8th, 2006, 09:59 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

I got mine from Rover's North too.........Flagg
Old December 9th, 2006, 03:54 AM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by themaxx
I have to second the Radiator Muff! Very helpful!
do you all keep the muff snap shut, or do you regulate air flow ? how to know how much air / or how closed you want the muff? (sounds muffy)
Old December 9th, 2006, 07:30 AM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

I live in Maryland.............the winters are not usually TOO brutal.

I keep my MUFF just about all the way open. The Muff itself is covering the two sides of the radiator, cutting down the airflow on the sides of the radiator. I did try different positions when it was new..........I found that if I kept it mostly closed, the truck temperature gauge would look like it was getting a bit hotter than normal, especially if you were not on the highway. Worried me a bit - my wife drives the truck too - I never wanted it to overheat on her..........(or me!)

The instructions say that you can modulate the snaps and have it more open or closed based on the temperature of the day.

I have never been into adjusting it that much. In Maryland, I think it is a happy medimum to just leave the middle open. I know I am still getting some benefit, and I am not overheating.........and I don't spend time every time I drive the truck making a minor adjustment............

How about some other opinions??

Flagg

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions