No headlights... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 5th, 2010, 05:01 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

No headlights...

On the 3 position switch Off-Parking/City lights-Headlights nothing works when in the furthest (headlights) position. Checked all the fuses, fine. Bulbs are fine. My thoughts are the switch itself is bad, just figured i'd post and see what anybody else thought.

ideas? anything quick I can check?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 5th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Mine has failed two or three times since owning the truck. You can pull the lower panel off the column and get at the switch. You will see the contacts melt the surrounding plastic. If you fidget with it, you can get the contacts points to connect, allowing you a temporary fix until the new switch arrives.

How did I figure this out - caught 15 miles away from home at night when it failed the first time.
Old December 5th, 2010, 08:45 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragland View Post
Mine has failed two or three times since owning the truck. You can pull the lower panel off the column and get at the switch. You will see the contacts melt the surrounding plastic. If you fidget with it, you can get the contacts points to connect, allowing you a temporary fix until the new switch arrives.

How did I figure this out - caught 15 miles away from home at night when it failed the first time.
Buy the harness and you'll never have to worry about it again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 5th, 2010, 08:48 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragland View Post

Damn, similar tale for me. Caught about 15 miles away from my house on the way from DC to Philly at night... good thing I had just wired my fog lights. So I drove from DC->Philly and back with parking and fogs, good enough (sorry to the people on I-95 I was behind...)
Old December 5th, 2010, 09:02 PM
xplorUtah
Andrew P
1960 SII

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Yea, its the switch. Its a known flaw. The best thing to do is to get an aftermarket relay harness for your headlights to save the new switch.

-Jeff
Jeff, Any chance you have a picture of said harness? Or source? My switch failed on running lights. Everything worked with headlights on. Got into the column and found one (running light wire) wire cut, a relay and black wire installed. I thought it was for fogs that aren't on it anymore (guess).
Drew
Old December 5th, 2010, 10:56 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

any particular relay kit people recommend?

This IPF one (http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/ind...t_detail&p=584 ) seems to be the cheapest one. I don't want to be stingy, but if its basically the same thing theres no reason to pay far more for a different brand...

or a custom made one? -> http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=1247
Old December 6th, 2010, 06:31 AM
maleger
Marc-Andre Leger
94D90 CDN#18 http://rover.leger.ca

Registry
I have made my own in the past. You just need some wires, heat shrink tubing, tie wraps and a few relays. Takes 2-3 hours to do a goos job.
Old December 6th, 2010, 09:56 AM
dbj2003
Brandon Jones
94 Defender 90 POE

This brings back memories. Mine failed on I-40 in the mountains late one night. The construction median was about 5 feet wide and 18 wheelers were blowing by in packs. Hot-wired the lights with scraps in my console. Scary.
Old December 7th, 2010, 09:35 AM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by maleger View Post
I have made my own in the past. You just need some wires, heat shrink tubing, tie wraps and a few relays. Takes 2-3 hours to do a goos job.
Used 1 relay for low beams 1 for high beams? I guess city/parking lights are fine as is.
Old December 8th, 2010, 09:43 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
I have been through two switches and I think my third is acting up. Anyone ever just use a different switch?
Is it possible.
Old December 9th, 2010, 10:45 AM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell View Post
I have been through two switches and I think my third is acting up. Anyone ever just use a different switch?
Is it possible.
honestly, based on all i'm reading there is probably little to nothing wrong with the actual switch (other than not being able to hold the relay-less load). The design w/o relays is just stupid. I'm going to get the SMS (http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=1247) harness in the near future to keep this from happening again.
Old December 9th, 2010, 08:14 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Danny, the IPF kit IS the ARB kit. it works great.
-Jeff
Thanks Jeff,
will keep that in mind.

on another note: I'm becoming a big fan of the city lights (all I have left until I replace the switch)... In downtown DC its totally unnecessary to run actual headlights because of the amount of street lighting. It would be great to not be blinded constantly.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht, lights