No brake lights! Need help. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 12th, 2009, 11:49 AM
durangorover
Chris Wherry
1995 D-90

No brake lights! Need help.

I'm up in Boulder/Denver and on my way up here last night, I noticed when I got here(woops!) that the brake lights don't work. It was pretty wet on the drive. I checked all fuses and bulbs and everything was fine. I then took out the left rear and the connection was pretty corroded. I tried to sand the connection and one of the three connects broke off. Would this cause all the brake lights to not work including the third light? I'm so bad with electrical. Any help would be great. One more thing, do the dealers carry these parts? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 12th, 2009, 12:03 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
The brake light circuit is screwy. If the connectors are corroded it could be any number of failure points. The best thing is to replace all the stuff with new. If you like spending money on your truck, pop for a set of LED's from ECR. Otherwise, if you don't like doing this stuff yourself, just take it to an auto electrics place and have them sort it for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old January 12th, 2009, 12:26 PM
durangorover
Chris Wherry
1995 D-90

Thanks Jim. Gonna try some new light assembly first. They thought that since my brake running lights work but when you step on the brake that none of the lights light up, that it may be the brake switch. A part that they don't have btw. I have to drive back to Durango tomorrow am so I may have to use some good old hand signals. Anybody know if you can use a generic switch for that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 12th, 2009, 04:25 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
The brake light swtich is pretty easy to get to, it just threads into the back of the pedal housing right by the bulkhead. Its easy to pull the leads, jumper them, and see if your lights are working.

Old January 12th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Mark M
Mark Mathews
'94 Beluga Black ST

Since the running lights work it sounds like the brake light switch. I don't know if you can use a generic, but I can tell you that replacing the switch is a pain in the rear.
Old January 13th, 2009, 12:25 AM
SPIKE
Eric
94 D90 #1

I had this issue with my 94. Simple fix was to pull the rear passenger speaker and clean the bullet plugs. A little dielectric grease and I my brake lights were back.
Old January 13th, 2009, 07:58 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

Good to see another Durango guy. Spent half my life there. I would put a meter on it and check for power starting at the front and work my way back if the other good suggestions fail. If you don't have one, even an inexpensive pen light would work.

See you at Wolf Creek next month if you are a skier!
And I love you too
Old January 13th, 2009, 09:44 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by huck1974
I would put a meter on it and check for power starting at the front and work my way back if the other good suggestions fail. If you don't have one, even an inexpensive pen light would work.
Harborfreight has meters for $5 or less. I want to believe other shops have similar items similarly priced (they are not great but work fine for auto electrics).
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old January 14th, 2009, 06:30 AM
FlaD90
Tom
1994 ST D90
D-90 Source Vendor

My 94 had the same problem and I found one of the leads on the switch had come off, simple fix.
Old January 14th, 2009, 11:31 AM
durangorover
Chris Wherry
1995 D-90

Thanks for all the help guys. Seems the brake switch has failed. no parts anywhere near den. So I ordered one. Had to do the drive home without the brake lights. no issues though. No traffic on the way back which was nice. thanks again.
Old September 30th, 2011, 11:18 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Durango Rover. I noticed you got your issue solved but I am now in the same boat as you. I have a trip tomorrow but on brakes. I have some questions for you on this. I am thinking this all starts with the passenger side first and works its way to the drivers side. I guess my point in bringing this up is this. If I check this harness behind the rear speaker does this impact all the brake lights or just the light above the rear door? I sure hope my brakes switch is not shot.

What I do notice is that I am not getting the odd electrical issues that others get like my toaster oven kicking on when I hit the turn signal.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
brake, ht, lights