Nitrogen in tires - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 4th, 2006, 08:13 AM
Paul Davis
Paul Davis
97 ST

Nitrogen in tires

Does anyone use nitrogen gas in your tires instead of CO2 or air?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 4th, 2006, 08:21 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Oh for the love, here we go...
Old August 4th, 2006, 08:25 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Davis
I use approximately 79%

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 4th, 2006, 09:00 AM
Monkeyboy

Pop got new tires on the Volvo in the Spring and was all excited that he got N and green valve stem caps --- what can I say, he's a retired engineer

Clearly, there has been no difference in any aspect of the vehicle's operation ... except the cool green valve stem caps

KAA
Old August 4th, 2006, 11:05 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I use helium.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old August 4th, 2006, 11:10 AM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

I fart in them, that way I know if I have a slow leak.
Old August 4th, 2006, 11:33 AM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

Dave Souza has abandoned any sort of gas in his tires altogether. I think his swampers are full of Equal.
Old August 4th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Eric_S
Eric
'97 D-90 ST #1507

Good one Dave!
I mix in 20% oxygen and the remaining 1% - argon, carbon dioxide & neon.
Old August 4th, 2006, 03:54 PM
ne4x4
Ian McCormack
1984 Landrover 90

why would you want to air is free

Old August 4th, 2006, 04:00 PM
robisonservice
John Robison
2008 Supercharged Range Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Davis
Yes, we do on collector cars. Oxygen rots the rubber of a tire. Filling a tire with nitrogen will prevent damage from internal oxidation which happens with regular air, or co2. On a car that runs 15k a year on highways that won't matter because the tires will wear out before they oxidize.

But collector cars can hold a set of tires 10 years or more and nitrogen will make a big difference. We believe the liklihood of sudden failure is markedly reduced.

That's why you should consider it off-road.

The only drawback is that your powertank setup has less capacity. The regulators can be adapted for co2 or nitrogen
Old August 4th, 2006, 04:16 PM
ne4x4
Ian McCormack
1984 Landrover 90

the outside of the tyre is exposed to oxygen and sunlight both rot the rubber and every failure I have had off road has been due to physical damage to the tyre from rocks, buried clay pipes etc etc

Old August 4th, 2006, 05:11 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

(Paul Davis.... not from Rocky Point, NY are you?)

Like Mr Robison mentioned, there are valid reasons for Nitrogen in the tires, and for the reasons he described it is a good idea. But the vast majority of us that drive our trucks regularly proabably won't see much benefit as the tires wear out from normal use.

If you are thinking of using compressed nitrogen in place of a CO2 tank for fills in the field, then you might want to reconsider. Even the high pressure paintball tanks in the 3000psi to 4500psi range won't hold much air when it comes to filling tires. CO2 being dual state will have about 80% or more of the tank filled with liquid CO2 when full, and will get you a huge amount more air out of the hose between fills with the same size tank.

For an on-truck air source, stick with either a CO2 tank or a compressor for the best utility.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old August 4th, 2006, 05:44 PM
robisonservice
John Robison
2008 Supercharged Range Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
(Paul Davis.... not from Rocky Point, NY are you?)

Like Mr Robison mentioned, there are valid reasons for Nitrogen in the tires, and for the reasons he described it is a good idea. But the vast majority of us that drive our trucks regularly proabably won't see much benefit as the tires wear out from normal use.

If you are thinking of using compressed nitrogen in place of a CO2 tank for fills in the field, then you might want to reconsider. Even the high pressure paintball tanks in the 3000psi to 4500psi range won't hold much air when it comes to filling tires. CO2 being dual state will have about 80% or more of the tank filled with liquid CO2 when full, and will get you a huge amount more air out of the hose between fills with the same size tank.

For an on-truck air source, stick with either a CO2 tank or a compressor for the best utility.

-Hans
Hans, you have to decide how long your tires will last. If you think they will last 7-8 years use nitrogen.

The second question, which I did not mention before, is one of environmental responsibility. We should all be working to curb emission of greenhouse gases, of which co2 is one of the biggest offenders. Nitrogen is not a greenhouse gas.

I use nitrogen for the reasons above.
Old August 4th, 2006, 06:00 PM
Paul Davis
Paul Davis
97 ST

I suppose I am way out of touch. I only ask because I heard a news story and have no experience with Nitrogen nor have I heard of anyone using it in the group I wheel with. I should have known it was an outdated topic for this forum.

Hans, no I am from all over the south and southeast, but no NY.

Thanks for the responses.
Old August 4th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

This is true John, and typically I get about 5 years or less on my tires, so for me the Nitrogen isn't going to be of any benefit. I'm probably best sticking with a compressor like I've always done.

I do wish that I could find more information from CO2 providers regarding how they get it. But it's not something that is easy to find. If it's reclaimed Co2, which is taken from the air, then you're not contributing anything as it already exists. But if it's drilled from the ground, or generated biologically like most food service gas is, then it's definitely bad.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old August 4th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Monkeyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by robisonservice
Yes, we do on collector cars. Oxygen rots the rubber of a tire.
Huh .. no smarty pants comments from me ... this time

I imagine that's why the ten year old tires that might have run 6k miles on Julie's Mazda are leaking ?

Thanks,

KAA
Old August 4th, 2006, 09:13 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Armstrong
Huh .. no smarty pants comments from me ... this time

I imagine that's why the ten year old tires that might have run 6k miles on Julie's Mazda are leaking ?

Thanks,

KAA
i bought a 1992 legend in 2003 that had 12k on it, the original tires fell apart as we loaded it on the two truck... it had been started on a weekly basis by the next door neighbor, but had not moved in 5 years.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
tire, tires