Nitrocharger Sport - Old Man Emu Shocks - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 11th, 2014, 12:42 PM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
Nitrocharger Sport - Old Man Emu Shocks

So when I did some PM on the Defender this week, I noticed one of the rear shocks has a soft spot, so it is time for it to be recycled and the rest can't be far behind. So looking over what is out there I came across the OME Sport model. I've used OME's before on the Series vehicles, but back when a hamburger cost under a dollar. I've also tried Bilsteins on another one, they did the shock thing as well. So who liked what, I do not want a "compress my spine ride," I already have an F350 exploration truck that does that (rides better if I tow a backhoe with it).

I have to go on a field period next week in Mexico, so I order up the stuff to be here when I get back. Just need some opinions besides the fluff marketing puts out. Besides, if you read them, the description of nearly every shock of any manufacturer is the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 11th, 2014, 12:45 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Paging Dr. Zack.........
Old July 11th, 2014, 01:10 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
He said he doesn't want the fluff that I'd put out

I like OMEs, Bilsteins are okay, but I'm running Fox on both my Discos and I can't see myself switching them out for anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 11th, 2014, 01:32 PM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
Fluff aside, the write ups seem to be comparing the taste of Catsup brands. So what I would like is progressive metering, i.e. soft start progressing to firmer. Not looking to race the Baja, I go slowly off the road, I am looking for stuff. There is the getting to the study area primarily on shitty washboard roads, or like at the moment washed out shitty roads with Landy swallowing ruts. I've got to evaluate 6 claims between Hermosillo and Chihuahua in September, right after monsoon season.

So what I normally do, is long periods on really poor surface roads (kind of paved, more like a series of asphalt ridges separating potholes) then some off road. I am really looking for better ride on the poor surface roads.
Old July 11th, 2014, 01:33 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I run OME sport (nitrochargers) up front and they are stiff for my Defender 90. I would not say "compress my spine", but they make the front feel a bit bouncier on rough terrain than the previous shocks.

I believe they are made for high spring rate / heavy vehicles. I have no winch or HD bumper so if you have a heavier truck then maybe they will be ok.
Old July 11th, 2014, 01:36 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Springs are often to blame for too-stiff of a ride, shocks do make a difference though.
Old July 11th, 2014, 01:36 PM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
That is good info. I don't have a winch (never have used one, ever) so my front end is stock but for the bush bar. Stock springs.
Old July 11th, 2014, 01:49 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpilot View Post
That is good info. I don't have a winch (never have used one, ever) so my front end is stock but for the bush bar. Stock springs.
yeah, nitrochargers will feel very stiff for you. Based on the type of driving you do, it sounds like you need something valved soft, or with adjustable valving.

Here is a list of soft/medium valved shocks from the internet:

Bilstein Touring Class
KYB GR2
Monroe Sensatrac
Monroe Reflex
Monroe Monromatics
Old July 11th, 2014, 08:32 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
I found the ome a bit stiffer than stock and not very long lasting. I'm running Konis now and they are superb. They soak up the bumps better than anything I've driven on. On rough roads you just want to drive faster and faster. Plus they have a lifetime guarantee.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old July 11th, 2014, 09:20 PM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
So Red, which model Konis are you running?
Old July 11th, 2014, 09:36 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The "Heavy Track" 8240SPX.

Old July 12th, 2014, 08:12 PM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
Orded a set from Koni directly, seems they have a sale going on. Atlantic British, which also carries them, or so it would seem. In tiny letters (same fit as 8240) with a part number I couldn't cross. Jegs sells them, but couldn't ship until August (Jegs shipped my exhaust, best price, but 2 months later) and where more expensive than direct. So where did you set your valving?
Old July 12th, 2014, 08:21 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
At the softest which is how they come.

Old October 11th, 2014, 08:00 PM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
So I finally got the Koni shocks for the Defender. I ordered them in July, they where on sale direct from Koni. Well they where on sale, but not exactly in stock. I had to wait until the made a new production run. They where still warm when I got them Friday. Did the rear ones first, drove it around, quite an improvement. So last night did the front ones. What a pain in the ass, naturally the coolant tank is in the way of removing the shock tower. Prevailed and now all of them are replaced. It is quite a dramatic improvement. The nice thing I can adjust these for a firmer or softer ride without a great effort. Thanks for all the recommendations, I do feel these are a good choice for my purposes.

Old October 11th, 2014, 08:26 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

I have heard from the guys who run the safari expedition companies in Africa that Konis are the only way to go... With other shocks they barely get a season..with the Konis they get 2 or 3.. And they report the ride is much better over the rougher fast terrain..washboards etc.. I never really thought of Konis for off road shocks..I always knew they were the best for sports handling and I have them on my 1965 mustang fastback..But god,....they are expensive..
Old October 11th, 2014, 08:30 PM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
They where not too bad, $556 shipped direct from Koni.
Old October 11th, 2014, 08:32 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Yeah, that's not too bad.. Depending on my sponsor deal with ARB I may not be able to use them..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions