NH / MA folks -- off topic - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 23rd, 2005, 10:42 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

NH / MA folks -- off topic

My wife just called from the MA turnpike -- she's on her way to Derry, NH (just outside of Manchester) to her Mother's house for Thanksgiving. I'm flying up tonight. She's in our Mini Cooper, and apparently the tire pressure warning light just came on (it's got runflats). Anyone know of a reputable tire shop somewhere near Derry that might be able to replace a wierd-sized runflat on Friday or Saturday? I'm hopefull she just picked up a nail and it can be repaired at the local place in Derry, but just in case . . .

Thanks,

Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 23rd, 2005, 11:02 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Tire warehouse is in Derry I think, I have never been there. The place I get my tires worked on is out in Goffstown, about a 20 minute ride from Derry so not close. But they are great people, it's called MR. Gee's. I would think tirewaerhouse could do it, but as is with any of those places just make sure they put the lug nuts back on tight. You could also drive into Manchester there are a bunch of tire places in Manch, just call first to make sure they have what you want as Friday and Saturday there will be ALLOT of traffic!
Old November 23rd, 2005, 11:06 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Sounds good Mike, thanks! As I remember the tire warehouse in Derry is pretty small. There's a place behind the Dunkin Donuts across from WalMart that has taken good care of me with snowblower tires and chains, but I doubt they'll have 100/20/r4 runflats or whatever the mini takes.

We'll have to hook up sometime when I'm up there -- it's about once a month or so.

Thanks again!

T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 23rd, 2005, 11:12 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Cool! You know Jimmy, Scott, myself and a few others meet at a bar in Derry every Tuesday night, your more then welcome to join us whenever your up!
Old November 23rd, 2005, 11:20 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Thanks -- I'm seldom up on Tuesdays, usually just for a weekend at a time except for Holidays. This time we're up until Sunday morning. Seldom see a rover up there, just the occasional disco, though there's a mog just south of the airport that I've seen a few times.
Old November 23rd, 2005, 11:34 AM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

Andy i'm having a few round at my bar saturday night for beer pool and poker if you want to call in .Mike you wasn't out last night to ask you but i know you will be here.Invite goes out for anyone else in the area

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 23rd, 2005, 12:07 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Unfortuantely we're going to some street fair in Nashua Saturday -- maybe next time, though!
Old November 23rd, 2005, 07:14 PM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

VIP (there are a couple, one right off Exit4 going west to Londonderry) and another just down from the Wal-Mart in Derry. May be able to help with those tires.
Old November 27th, 2005, 09:28 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Thanks, Scott. Hit Sullivan Tire across from Wal-Mart (Mother in law lives essentially behind it) and they were able to provide a compressor. Turns out all were a bit low, but the real culprit is the low tire warning light. So much for BMW reliability. Fun snow up there over the holiday -- nice to be in an area where people know how to drive in it.
Old November 27th, 2005, 09:50 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

The low tire sensor light on the Mini depends on the wheels all turning at the same speed - if it detects a different rotational speed via the ABS sensors it assumes that one of the tires is low in pressure and therefore has a smaller diameter. If you get any wheelspin (like on snow) it can illuminate the light. There is a a reset button just below the handbrake lever. If your light comes on again - hold the button down for a few seconds and see if it stays out first. That is one of the systems on the Mini that seemed pretty reliable on mine - lets not talk about the SRS system however....
Old November 27th, 2005, 10:08 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Jack, thanks for the response. While it didn't hit snow or ice on the way up there, I was driving in snow and ice up there. The light hasn't gone out since Wednesday no matter how long I hit the reset button. I've confirmed all tire pressures at 35 lbs. cold, so I'm assuming it's a sensor . . .

Fun car, but with 8K on it (it's an early '05) we've had our fair share of niggling problems with it -- I'm taking it in for a full service as soon as my daily driver LWB gets fixed (locks and windows have both failed and I've no time to trouble shoot). The mini has a wierd screeching at take off when it's cold that sounds like a CV, the new tire issues, occasionally working remotes, there are some fit and finish issues on the interior and theres some bubbling on the trimwork. Oh, and that problem where it keeps getting me speeding tickets.
Old November 27th, 2005, 10:32 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

Yeah - I don't know how I managed to avoid collecting any fast driving awards while I had my 2003 Mini Cooper S - the guy that bought mine was stopped about two hours after he took posession on his way back to Savannah. He was ticketed for 78 in a 55 - he told that he had JUST slowed down from doing about 110 when he saw the cop. the one thing I don't miss about the Mini is the multiple electrical problems. I just didn't think I wanted to own that car after the warranty was up.

The screech may be a water pump - I think they had some problems with those.

Now I drive a Tdi 90 - not much chance of a speeding ticket there - but I'm about to go buy an Inka Orange 1972 BMW 2002 Tii - that should get my visibilty back up until I finish the restoration of my 356 Porsche.
Old November 28th, 2005, 09:20 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

I've lusted after a tii for years -- my bmw enthusiasts companion is still on the shelf. I either drive the lwb or the mini usually (the 35s on the 90 make rush hour a little too invigorating to drive it every day) though I'm restoring (very slowly) a 48 Bentley Special which is getting a painless harness to avoid any lucas opportunities.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions