Newooob Question: Getting Mixed Answers on Tdi - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 16th, 2014, 11:40 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Newooob Question: Getting Mixed Answers on Tdi

I've been trying to search on this web site, and across the web, for some kind of definitive blog or description or... of going from the 3.5V8 to a 300Tdi in the 1988 110.

Some places discuss the welding and the new wiring and the new floor and tunnel covers and the new transmission and...

Others say drop it in and be done in a day with three tools.

I got frustrated and just dumped all the sites I had looked at, and now need to start over.

If I were to buy into one side, I'm paying someone $5k to do the work for me. If I buy into the other side, I do the work myself in 3 weeks. These two realities do not line up.

Help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 17th, 2014, 01:21 AM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
I guess I'll be the first to welcome you since it seems everyone else has gone to bed.
I've done a similar conversion as have many others on this forum.
Only mine was on a 98 Discovery. So yours should be much easier.
I will tell you that I don't plan on doing any more as mine was s pain.
You know you will have to change your gearbox as well right?
Old December 17th, 2014, 02:07 AM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Yes. I will need the r380, right?

I'm not even sure if I'm explaining my question right. but really I'm looking for someplace on the web where someone has detailed the job so I can see what it entails. Then I can make an educated decision on whether it is a project I can/want to pull off, regardless of whether I pay someone to do it for me or not.

Bottom line right now: I don't feel like I know enough about it to make the jump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 17th, 2014, 02:18 AM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
I'll check my bookmarks on my laptop tomorrow and see if I have anything helpful. I'll post it if I do.
Old December 17th, 2014, 11:31 AM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
RBB,

Here are a couple of sites I still have in my favorites. Most I've cleaned out to reduce clutter though.

http://tdswaps.com

http://www.4btswaps.com

That's for starters.
There also use to be some Yahoo groups that were informative. If I locate those I will forward them to you.
Old December 17th, 2014, 11:54 AM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBailey View Post
I've been trying to search on this web site, and across the web, for some kind of definitive blog or description or... of going from the 3.5V8 to a 300Tdi in the 1988 110.

Some places discuss the welding and the new wiring and the new floor and tunnel covers and the new transmission and...

Others say drop it in and be done in a day with three tools.

I got frustrated and just dumped all the sites I had looked at, and now need to start over.

If I were to buy into one side, I'm paying someone $5k to do the work for me. If I buy into the other side, I do the work myself in 3 weeks. These two realities do not line up.

Help?
I just finished mine. It was a 3.9 to 300Tdi. Is yours a LHD or RHD truck? Its a fairly simple swap if you have all the parts ready. a 300Tdi R380 matted to the engine would be nice to have as you can put that right in through the front.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old December 17th, 2014, 12:17 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Quote:
How do they not line up? Mechanics average around $100/hr. For a single 40 hour week you're looking at $4k.

I did my swap in 4 weeks and that was going with a non-factory setup so I had to do a little ghetto-fab. I've done a bunch of rover and non-rover engine swaps and conversions as well as full and partial rebuilds of engines, gearboxes, and whole vehicles so it wasn't really a big deal for me.

Have you ever changed the engine on a vehicle? Have you ever changed a gearbox? Radiator? Can you weld? What about electrical?

It isn't a complicated swap since the factory made trucks with the Tdi engines in. If your 110 was born as a 5-speed and hasn't been modified, then your floors, trans tunnel, bulkhead, seatbox and driveshafts shouldn't require any modification to do a 300tdi swap. 200tdi would be a different story.

But without any ideas about your mechanical ability, hard to offer sensible advice.
Old December 17th, 2014, 01:42 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Help?
Come on up to the shop and I can walk you through the process - various solutions & associated costs - and you can look at a couple completed and in-progress builds to gauge your appetite for a project.
Old December 17th, 2014, 02:13 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
A lot depends on what floors, tunnel, and seat box you have. Whether you want to stick with an lt77 or upgrade to an r380. If you want to go r380 again there is the short vs long choice all of which dictate where the engine mounts are welded on and what your fan shroud/cooling options are. Its fairly straight forward and not complicated work compared to other makes. You just have to decide what rout you want to go and procure all the parts before diving in.

Wade on in the water is fine........(evil laugh background noise)

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 17th, 2014, 07:00 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
I have the Lt85 right now. It is original LHD. Has the big AC box in the engine compartment, but probably going to switch to the standard dash anyway.

------ Follow up post added December 17th, 2014 04:07 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
How do they not line up? Mechanics average around $100/hr. For a single 40 hour week you're looking at $4k.

I did my swap in 4 weeks and that was going with a non-factory setup so I had to do a little ghetto-fab. I've done a bunch of rover and non-rover engine swaps and conversions as well as full and partial rebuilds of engines, gearboxes, and whole vehicles so it wasn't really a big deal for me.

Have you ever changed the engine on a vehicle? Have you ever changed a gearbox? Radiator? Can you weld? What about electrical?

It isn't a complicated swap since the factory made trucks with the Tdi engines in. If your 110 was born as a 5-speed and hasn't been modified, then your floors, trans tunnel, bulkhead, seatbox and driveshafts shouldn't require any modification to do a 300tdi swap. 200tdi would be a different story.

But without any ideas about your mechanical ability, hard to offer sensible advice.
I've done the heads on a 4.2, swapped a 2.25 to a 2.25 in the Series, swapped a transfer case out of a Disco XD, brakes, springs and shocks, some basic electrical work. But I don't weld.

So.... In my mind I think I might at least get the truck prepped for my mechanic to do the install. But it also has a lot to do with as Doug says, exactly what parts I have and need vs. the other options that are out there.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
tdi