Newbie valve adjustment question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old November 10th, 2010, 12:47 AM
Michael White
110 Tdi
Question Newbie valve adjustment question

Hi all,

This is my first attempt at adjusting valves on my 300 TDi (or any engine that requires valves to be adjusted), and I want to make sure I'm not doing something foolish. I follow the "rule of 9", measuring the "x"th gap when the "9-x"th arm is all the way down. When inserting the feeler gauge, I've been lifting up on the rocker arm, so that one side is against the push rod and the manifold side has the largest gap possible between the rocker arm and the valve stem/spring top. Is this correct? Otherwise, there is often zero clearance until I insert the feeler gauge, which pushes up against the rocker arm. I assume it's OK, as the rocker arms are not being moved as forcefully as when the engine is actually running, and they simply rest on the valves.

Then I adjust, tightening the screw while the feeler gauge is in place until there's resistance and then backing off a smidgen. I re-check the clearance after tightening a bit with a wrench and also after torquing.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the
black flag and start slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions