Defender Source Forum banner

Newbie trying to answer some questions

728 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  sonoronos 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

I am currently planning on doing the LS swap pioneered by Nmarkiw. I dont have a car yet but I still want to figure most details out before i begin.

How can i upgrade the axles to handle the power? Complete swap or upgrade the internals, to what? I couldnt find a post that explained this issue.

What type of suspension setup is most reliable, including lift options as well?

What do you think i should be considering to make this thing into a comfortable daily driver.

I am going to look at a 83 110 today wish me luck :)

#3 ·
What do you think i should be considering to make this thing into a comfortable daily driver. )
I'd start with looking at a completely different vehicle. Like a Toyota Or late model jeep.

#5 ·
Good luck! What did you find?

Welcome, this is a great place for ideas, suggestions, inspiration and accurate (mostly) technical advice.

You've asked some questions that are difficult to answer without knowing more about what you plan to do with your Defender.

First, you mention "comfortable daily driver". I assume you know a Defender will never be 'comfortable' like a Bentley. You can have nice seats, good stereo, air conditioning, etc.

I am not an expert on axles but if your 'daily driver' means paved roads at reasonable speeds and no drag racing, the stock axles will get you started. If (when) you break an axle, time to upgrade!

That being said, there are some relatively inexpensive upgrades using later Rover parts. Yes, I know the search function on this forum isn't very good, but ther are many good threads here about axle options.

Personally, if you aren't doing a lot of off road, I'd strongly consider no lift. Going more than 2 inches lift can be expensive if done properly. Lift can be added later.

Will you be doing the LS swap yourself? Or are you taking it to a shop? Either way, talk to as many people as you can who have worked on Defenders at this level of modification.

Keep asking questions. If you want a Defender, ignore the curmudgeons suggesting a Jeep.

Mike & Carrie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.