Newbie trying to answer some questions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old October 9th, 2016, 03:10 AM
pico123
Momo
Defender 110 '83

Newbie trying to answer some questions

Hello all,

I am currently planning on doing the LS swap pioneered by Nmarkiw. I dont have a car yet but I still want to figure most details out before i begin.

How can i upgrade the axles to handle the power? Complete swap or upgrade the internals, to what? I couldnt find a post that explained this issue.

What type of suspension setup is most reliable, including lift options as well?

What do you think i should be considering to make this thing into a comfortable daily driver.

I am going to look at a 83 110 today wish me luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 9th, 2016, 07:54 AM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Welcome and good luck looking at the truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 9th, 2016, 11:22 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pico123 View Post
What do you think i should be considering to make this thing into a comfortable daily driver. )
I'd start with looking at a completely different vehicle. Like a Toyota Or late model jeep.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old October 9th, 2016, 11:30 AM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
If I went for a Jeep, I'd put s Hemi in it like a guy here in Austin did.
Old October 9th, 2016, 11:54 AM
GuamPilot
Mike & Carrie Wendt
1986 90 2.5NA

Registry
Good luck! What did you find?

Welcome, this is a great place for ideas, suggestions, inspiration and accurate (mostly) technical advice.

You've asked some questions that are difficult to answer without knowing more about what you plan to do with your Defender.

First, you mention "comfortable daily driver". I assume you know a Defender will never be 'comfortable' like a Bentley. You can have nice seats, good stereo, air conditioning, etc.

I am not an expert on axles but if your 'daily driver' means paved roads at reasonable speeds and no drag racing, the stock axles will get you started. If (when) you break an axle, time to upgrade!

That being said, there are some relatively inexpensive upgrades using later Rover parts. Yes, I know the search function on this forum isn't very good, but ther are many good threads here about axle options.

Personally, if you aren't doing a lot of off road, I'd strongly consider no lift. Going more than 2 inches lift can be expensive if done properly. Lift can be added later.

Will you be doing the LS swap yourself? Or are you taking it to a shop? Either way, talk to as many people as you can who have worked on Defenders at this level of modification.

Keep asking questions. If you want a Defender, ignore the curmudgeons suggesting a Jeep.

Mike & Carrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pico123 View Post
Hello all,

I am currently planning on doing the LS swap pioneered by Nmarkiw. I dont have a car yet but I still want to figure most details out before i begin.

How can i upgrade the axles to handle the power? Complete swap or upgrade the internals, to what? I couldnt find a post that explained this issue.

What type of suspension setup is most reliable, including lift options as well?

What do you think i should be considering to make this thing into a comfortable daily driver.

I am going to look at a 83 110 today wish me luck
Old October 11th, 2016, 07:58 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

The most reliable lift is no lift at all.

Unless you are rock crawling, I really do not recommend lifting your truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions