Newbie: Seeking RR purchasing advice - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 18th, 2009, 04:42 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Mark Starr at HRM is a good dude.
Advertisement

Old September 18th, 2009, 07:33 PM
PMKColorado
Paul Koentges
'95 White D-90, #2625

Rr

Karl,

I have owned the '05 to 48 K; an '07 to 43K and now own the '08 with 11k. All are great cars, I trade them in for tax/business reasons. My thoughts:

-'05 BMW motor sounds better than the Jag

-'07 & '08 Jag tranny/gearing is noticeably more responsive, especially in CO.

-Better gas mileage in the ’08 than ’05; 4 + MPG, I can average 22 + at 80 MPH on long drives.

-07 & 08 interior is much better looking, dash etc.

-Lux package: a must for me, seats are more comfortable and longer in the thigh area. Love the heated/cooled seats.

-I always opted for the 19” wheels vs 20”, better ride.

-Nav works well in the ’08, phone, SAT etc…

-I cannot report on service as mine have always been warranted. No major issues with any except radiator replaced on the ’07. The ’08 rear passenger door will not seal/adjust properly.

-’08 terrain response works well, however, I prefer using the gearing and being in control over ice/snow.

-adaptive headlights on the '07 are excellent.

Except for ground clearance/departure angles, the ’08 stock, will out 4-wheel my modified D-90 on most any obstacle including ice and snow… no I don’t wheel the HSE.

If I were looking for the best value, I’d buy the ’05…best car ’07.

Of note; I have had the privilege of owning/driving many auto’s (nine currently), from vw’s to Porsche’s; MGB’s to exotics; BMW’s to RR, Fords to Chevy’s…none have come close to the overall experience and enjoyment of owning the RR. I sometimes park the RR for a month or so just for the exhilaration of experiencing it all over again…after all, driving it daily does take away from one’s recognition of how well it is designed. On the down side, I’m often prejudged by what I drive…not my problem but unfortunate none the less. Crazy amount of money for a car…buying used makes sense…family approves of my owning it since it’s basically my office away from home…very safe…especially winter driving.

Good luck and enjoy…

Old September 19th, 2009, 09:39 AM
kelias3479
Karl Elias
None

Thanks for the info Paul - I appreciate your time

And thanks Ron, Mark is most likely the man I will buy from

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 19th, 2009, 11:51 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

Paul.......

If you don't wheel your 2008 RR how do you know it will out do the D90?
I have a 2004 RR and a D90 and I bet you're right - except for breakover, approach and departure angles - but I've never offroaded the RR.
Old September 20th, 2009, 12:05 AM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelias3479
In the market for my first Rover. I want to buy a BMW-powered RR. A couple of questions please:
  1. I know the BMW powerplant ran from 2003 through 2005. Did all MY 2005 vehicles have BMW power or did it switch mid-year to Jaguar power?
  2. Any special issues with these vehicles that I should be aware of when shopping?
  3. Any options or option packages that are especially worth hunting for (e.g., Lux package)
  4. Any other advice would be appreciated
Thank you
Karl
How did you find a defender forum if you have no other rover, and having a range rover in fairfield will probably be frustrating, every other car in Greenwich/fairfield is a Range. I have never seen as many Rangies as i do on Greenwich ave in Greenwich.
Old September 20th, 2009, 06:19 AM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

Make sure you get an extended warranty.
Old September 21st, 2009, 04:33 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

and buy it in the southwest or California - no salt and dry climate
Old September 21st, 2009, 05:00 PM
kelias3479
Karl Elias
None

John: I am D90 fan and intend to have one some day - so I have been cruising this site for some time. I decided to focus on the RR for now because I can use it as daily driver for a short time and then transition it to an extra vehicle. Yeah, there are tons of RRs in Fairfield County - but there are also tons of M3s, 911's, etc. - and I wouldn't let that stop me from buying one of those either

I am getting wary of the reliability issue Chris - starting to think I might be better off with a more recent MY to get more warranty...

Thanks

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions