Newbie Question on Defender 110/130 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 3rd, 2015, 07:02 AM
arcticfox
Erik Fryman
NONE

Newbie Question on Defender 110/130

Hello guys, new member here with some questions for the experts. I have always wanted a Defender 110/130 but have always found them too expensive and hard to find in the US. I am moving to Sweden in the next few months and have checked the prices on Defenders there, and they seem more reasonable.

The ones I have been looking at are models from '97 to about '06. Since I don't know much about Defenders I though I should ask what I should be looking for when buying a 110 or 130 from those years? Some areas of concern:

1. Engine - anything specific to look for? What would be the max milage that you would buy. If I got a good deal on a high milage engine, would it be worth it and get a rebult engine?

2. Transmission/Drivetrain - what to look for.

3. Body - Rust issues? Some of the cars I have looked at online seems to have a lot of rust. I'm assuming this is because they salt the roads in Sweden. Anything specific on rust issues.

4. Electric/Electronic - I am assuming the Defenders from these years are fairly simple when it comes to electronics.

Any other suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Arcticfox
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 3rd, 2015, 08:13 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Welcome.

As others will say, body rust wise, what we talk about here as weak spots after twenty years of ownership are no different in Sweden or elsewhere.

Mechanically, there were many changes Td5 diesel to 4 cylinder 2.4 and later 2.2 diesels over the years. The latter two being Ford power plants with good history. Exact dates these engines were changed is something honestly I haven't paid attention to being US based.

Suggest you contact someone called Rivermike on this forum. He's a dealer located in Netherland and does a nice job. earch for his For Sale threads and take a look for yourself.
A US based person would be Uncle Doug. who has good contacts as well in England and elsewhere.
Old October 4th, 2015, 01:53 PM
arcticfox
Erik Fryman
NONE

Thanks for the reply Rocky.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, 130, defender, defender 110