Newbie needing help with surrey/mesh tops - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 16th, 2013, 02:48 AM
Zooraya
Bani
1995 NAS D90

Newbie needing help with surrey/mesh tops

Hey guys,
I've been digging around through the old posts trying to figure out what my best option is for replacing the soft top on my '95 90.

Originally I wanted a surrey top to get some protection from the sun. However, I also like the mesh tops from Exmoor. I like the idea of having most of the sun blocked out while still having some air breath through.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ht=exmoor+trim

Do you have any recommendations? Do any of these tops fit better than others? I noticed some complaints about the non mesh tops flapping around in the wind. Is there one manufacturer that anyone recommends?

Also, what is the difference/advantage of the tops with snaps vs straps?

Apologies in advance for asking something in the wrong section or if its already been answered before. I did dig around the old threads before posting.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 16th, 2013, 08:02 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
There's a whole thread dedicated to the Exmoor top from when they were testing it - more technical discussions in there. My Badger Coachworks surrey never flapped around, when it was fit as intended.
Old April 17th, 2013, 12:29 AM
Zooraya
Bani
1995 NAS D90

Thanks Josh. I'll search for that thread. I just checked the Badger Coachworks site and sent them an email. Hopefully they're still in production.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 23rd, 2013, 04:19 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

snap vs. straps

What do you mean when you ask about "snaps vs. straps"? Since you have a 95, I am assuming you are talking about a gutter kit style top vs. a Fabric Door Top with a snap rail..(as you need not worry about a full top that snaps to the body such as a 94 without a belt rail) but you said you are a bit new so the above may even be more confusing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooraya View Post
Hey guys,
I've been digging around through the old posts trying to figure out what my best option is for replacing the soft top on my '95 90.

Originally I wanted a surrey top to get some protection from the sun. However, I also like the mesh tops from Exmoor. I like the idea of having most of the sun blocked out while still having some air breath through.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ht=exmoor+trim

Do you have any recommendations? Do any of these tops fit better than others? I noticed some complaints about the non mesh tops flapping around in the wind. Is there one manufacturer that anyone recommends?

Also, what is the difference/advantage of the tops with snaps vs straps?

Apologies in advance for asking something in the wrong section or if its already been answered before. I did dig around the old threads before posting.

Thanks!
Old April 23rd, 2013, 01:45 PM
Zooraya
Bani
1995 NAS D90

That was my mistake. I was trying to absorb as much info as possible about the different tops. I think I've figured it out though. The snaps vs straps comparison only applies to bikini tops. If the center roll bar has snaps on it, a top that snaps in is preferred to one that straps down to an anchor. Correct? Still learning though.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 02:25 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

All NAS ST B pillar have snaps in them. you could go the cheap route and just get the front part of a Bewt Top and turn it into a Bikini with snaps this WILL work as I was running one of these for awhile.

Overall IMHO just think about what the weather is like in San Jose for the periods you will be using the truck. Start from what you think you need to enjoy the truck given the weather/who will be riding in the truck/is it parked outdoors or in at night. this may save you headache get chewed out by your passenger that it is too cold or to hot to have the top off/on.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 03:55 PM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
Go with Badger surrey, I have one and it fits perfect and never flaps around. I washed the shit out of it this past weekend and it cleaned up like new and fit right back on with no issues.
1991 Range Rover Classic (sold)
1995 Range Rover Classic (sold)
2006 LR3 SE (sold)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions