Newbie introduction - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 2nd, 2013, 11:27 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Keep it original it will be easier to sell and should bring more money if you decide to.

If you want a diesel get this one up and running and flip it for the cash and buy an import.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 3rd, 2013, 08:40 AM
MikeG
MIke Gordon
1994 Defender 90 NAS

OK got up to my buddies shop where its been sitting for the last two years and took a few shots. More to follow when I get it home
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GEDC0801.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	83392   Click image for larger version

Name:	GEDC0802.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	83393  

Name:	GEDC0803.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	83394   Click image for larger version

Name:	GEDC0804.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	83395  

Name:	GEDC0805.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	83396   Click image for larger version

Name:	GEDC0806.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	83397  

Old November 3rd, 2013, 08:45 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Are those New England Beach permit stickers all over the bumpers?

If so...... yikes.

edit: By *yikes*, I should say that most red 94ST's look like yours on the outside. But if this was someone's beach buggy on MV for 15 years, I'd be worried the frame was gonna fall out from under it.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 3rd, 2013, 09:09 AM
MikeG
MIke Gordon
1994 Defender 90 NAS

Frame is OK for the most part. Needs a rear crossmember but I'm told thats common and a pretty easy fix.
Old November 3rd, 2013, 09:35 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Frame is OK for the most part. Needs a rear crossmember but I'm told thats common and a pretty easy fix.
Seller told you that?

It's gonna be a few hundred for the x-member and over $500 to fit it.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old November 3rd, 2013, 10:20 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Thanks for posting the pictures Mike.
Please don't take this as criticism on your new rig. I know posting pics opens your pride-n-joy and new toy up to everyone's opinion. However, I really think you will need to thoroughly inspect your frame ASAP. A few things are indicators that the frame is probably a lot worse than you think.
First, PO said it was stored in a heated garage? That paint is mighty oxidized to have spent most of its time in a garage. Second, judging t
By the rust alone on the spare tire carrier hinges, it really looks like this truck spent a lot of time outside, and third as it's been pointed out, the multiple ACK beach permits are not really a badge of honor when it comes to condition.

Just saying that before you start pouring money into the mechanicals and small items, definitely conduct a comprehensive evaluation of the overall picture so you can plan appropriately and not waste money fixing little things only to have to do a frame swap (perhaps) in a few years.
I've seen frames that otherwise look good from a quick look turn into Swiss cheese because they were rotten from the inside. The union/mounting surface between the middle crossmember and frame rail is another area that often eludes a cursory inspection.

I and others here are definately not trying to scare you away or disagree with your assessment, just telling you from experience that you are gonna find a lot more rust that you think once you start digging around with a screwdriver and tack hammer.

Good luck and PM me if you want some recommendations on shops in MA.

With all that said, I have seen far worse coming off Nantucket. Nice truck and good luck and welcome.
Old November 3rd, 2013, 10:35 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
^^Jackie is full of great advice.^^

Mike, when did you get the 90 and how much did you pay, if you don't mind sharing?

Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Old November 3rd, 2013, 01:16 PM
MikeG
MIke Gordon
1994 Defender 90 NAS

Picked it up from a good friend who has worked on Rovers for years. It's been sitting behind his shop for several years now, thus the faded paint and plastic. He has a shop in Washington NH and a vast supply of parts and knowledge concerning them. I've spent enough time around his shop and kitchen drinking his booze to know that he wouldn't blow sunshine up my @ss on something like this. Even with all that, it's still good to hear what others have to say. $9500
Thanks for the advice!
Old November 3rd, 2013, 01:54 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Not bad.

Rent my
!
Old November 3rd, 2013, 02:10 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
I'd say.
Old November 3rd, 2013, 02:59 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
It sounds like your entry price was decent MIke.

What exactly is bad with the motor?

You can replace the motor with one from Will Tillery (540.462.7353), Randy Williams (RoverBones/British bone Yard ) , Paul Grant (203.770.1699), or even Marty powell (270.576.7922)

Just start searching

Rent my
!
Old November 3rd, 2013, 05:55 PM
MikeG
MIke Gordon
1994 Defender 90 NAS

Spare motors are right on site where it is if I want to go gas. The more I think on it and look at though I like the idea of a diesel for several reasons. My buddy John says his 95 D90 gets about 10mpg. At that rate I could not justify keeping it,it would just be another toy, and I don't have the time or money to play with all the two wheeled one I have now. If a diesel gets in the 20 to 25 mpg range for normal driving then I could call it a commuter I need four wheel drive in the winter, and I'm kind of sick of dealing with GM/Ford/Chrysler or anything else. I work in the auto parts business and I can't believe the absolute crap that passes for vehicles today so I have been using my bikes and an 84 VW Rabbit diesel to commute except during foul weather and mud season. Just looking to broaden my horizons here and see what else is out there. Besides, I might happen to have a 275 gallon heating oil tank hooked up to my wood heated garage some day
Old November 3rd, 2013, 06:04 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

You have mine's twin, right down to the repainted front fender that does not match.

Pull the transmission crossmember and look behind it for rust. Pull the metal plate at the back of the rear tub and look for corrosion there. Look for corrosion under the floor mats on the footwells. Check every inch of the frame and bulkhead and door bottoms.

It does not look terrible from the outside, but you need to go over it with a fine tooth comb and treat corrosion now.

With 66k, I would keep the V8 for resale purposes (if you ever plan to sell).
Old November 3rd, 2013, 06:31 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
So how much are you estimating for a swap to diesel? Do the math and you'll see you can burn gasoline for a very long time before recuperating the cost.

But if it's not rusted to hell, that's a good price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Spare motors are right on site where it is if I want to go gas. The more I think on it and look at though I like the idea of a diesel for several reasons. My buddy John says his 95 D90 gets about 10mpg. At that rate I could not justify keeping it,it would just be another toy, and I don't have the time or money to play with all the two wheeled one I have now. If a diesel gets in the 20 to 25 mpg range for normal driving then I could call it a commuter
Old November 3rd, 2013, 07:00 PM
101stAirborne
Battle Ewing
1997 D90 LE 255/300

Registry
I entertained the idea of buying a 94 and converting it to a 300tdi not too long ago. If you are not mechanically inclined it is going to cost you roughly $25k or so with parts and labor.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions