Newbie Help On Rock Sliders - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 17th, 2009, 09:53 AM
artpeck
Art Peck
1995 NAS D-90

Newbie Help On Rock Sliders

Apologize for asking a stupid question but appreciate any help. I have a 95 NAS AA yellow ST with 66k miles. 3rd owner. In the course of taking bits off to have them powder coated (bumpers, tire rack etc) I removed the after market nerf bars and am left with black, frame mounted roughly 4" sq steel tubes flush mounted below the door bottoms. The front is secured with a long (~9" x1/2" bolt and the rear slides in to a frame mounted tube and is also bolted. My question is two fold...1) are these OEM as I can see no indication on way or the other and 2) are these functional rock sliders that would afford protection. They are clear stout enough at the tubing is at least 1/4" or thicker but I have no idea as to whether their mounting points would carry the load. Happy to post a picture if that would help.

Again I am sure there is a simple answer to this and appreciate any help anyone has. Thanks. Art

Follow-up Post:

And I can't even manage to get this in the right forum. Double apologies. Too early in the morning in California.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 17th, 2009, 09:58 AM
mountainviewrover
MARK LECLAIR
95 Range Rover Classic

Registry
sounds like you have aftermarket sliders in place of the factory sills. your assumption is correct, those will provide added protection if you take your rig off road. take care art.
Old July 17th, 2009, 11:21 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Do I understand you are taking them off to powdercoat them? Getting them out of the tube in the back may be a challenge if they have been on there a while. I would recommend if you remove them to refit them with a liberal amount of anti-sieze (I like Wurth copper stuff but anything, even normal grease, will work) on the bar that goes in the tube.
Advertisement

Old July 17th, 2009, 11:29 AM
artpeck
Art Peck
1995 NAS D-90

Thanks to both of you. I have learned not to assume anything about the truck as it constantly surprises...sometimes in good ways and sometimes in less good ways.

As to taking them off, I am inclined to leave them alone as they don't appear to have been used off road and are unblemished.

The other bits I am getting powder coated are just faded and tired (but no rust) so it is cosmetic.

Appreciate the advice. Thanks.
Old July 17th, 2009, 12:10 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

They sound like Bill Burke rock sliders

Do they look like this?
http://trailhead4x4.com/mediac/400_0/media/Burke~1.jpg

If so they are super strong and offer good protection
Old July 17th, 2009, 02:29 PM
artpeck
Art Peck
1995 NAS D-90

They are more flush to the sheet metal than that picture shows. But the construction appears to be similar.
Old July 17th, 2009, 03:31 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Sounds like the ones that Atlantic British makes
Old July 18th, 2009, 06:37 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

If you are pulling them already I highly recommend sandblasting and getting them galvanized prior to powder coat, it is really the only thing that will last. My RTE rear bumper on my D2 after 18 months has lost nearly all of the paint and same with my sliders and as soon as I get time I will be taking those off and sending them along with my bulkhead for a nice hot-zinc bath.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old July 19th, 2009, 06:54 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

Mantecs are also made that way, as are RNs.
I agree w/ the galv, but would then paint them, since they will get scratched, making them easy to touch up.
Old July 19th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertrader
Mantecs are also made that way, as are RNs.
I agree w/ the galv, but would then paint them, since they will get scratched, making them easy to touch up.
I second the paint over galvi as if you are really going to off-road your truck the powder coating will start to peel at the first scratch you make and you won't be able to touch it up.

But if it is more fore show then it is fine and will last.

Pat

Kirk Lazarus, Tropic Thunder

color="Red">CanadaOverland.com

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
slide