newbie help.. brake light?? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 4th, 2008, 07:28 PM
rickauf
rick aufderheide
95 d 90

newbie help.. brake light??

Hi all,

just purchased a 95 d 90 wagon.
in order to get it thru our state inspection, i had to have new pads and calipers put on the front.

when driving home from the mechanics, the brake warning indicator light kept coming on.

i assumed it might be a faulty switch with the hand brake, but that seems fine.

now the brake warning light stays on and lit.,, handbrake on, or off.

what could be causing the light to stay on.

i see in the owners manual it is not just a handbrake warning, but an overall brake system check light.

does anyone know what exactly the light (warning system) checks for??
ie, what should i check on the brakes?

is it fluid level?
does it check caliper/ piston movement, etc???

my mechanic is no d 90 specailist, and i would like to give him some thoughts when i take it back?

perhaps some wire was not hooked back up when the front brakes replaced?

please help!!!

I have only owned this truck one week and it really seems to be having a lot of gremlins.

rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 4th, 2008, 07:37 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
fluid level would be my guess. Look under the hood you cant miss the fluid reservoir. I had the same issue with the flickering light and added a little and it fixed my problem. It could also be the hand brake.

What number is your Defender? How many miles. Welcome to the D-90source
Old January 4th, 2008, 08:05 PM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

Welcome Rick! Congrats on your new Rover.

I had a flickering brake light that turned into a constant light. I started by checking the adjustment on the hand brake which involves getting under the truck and following the cable from the seat box to the transmission brake. The procedure is in your owners manual. Very easy. Once that was checked, I made sure that the oil resevoir was topped off and then I rotated the sensor that is around the cap to the most clockwise position, then tightened the cap. Problem gone.

Don't get frustrated about the gremlins. This will not make for an enjoyable time wtih your Rover. The other night I was driving home. It was pitch black, about 15 degrees wind chill and every light just went black. About 15 minutes later and help from phone-a-friend I was back on the road with jumpers in my dash and my headlamp and stocking cap on. It was an adventure. I love my Rover unconditionally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 4th, 2008, 09:14 PM
rickauf
rick aufderheide
95 d 90

light comes on only when vehicle turns???

Thanks for the input.. i have wanted one for 10 years now, so i am not going to get disenchanted that easily!

an update: this is weird: I took the 90 out again tonite (u know how u can't wait until the next day to see whats going on??)

anyway. started her up. released the handbrake.. light went out. drove straight up my road for about 2 miles.. hitting the brakes hard.. soft.. in between every 15 yards.. no light. good stopping (no spongy or falling pedal).

now when i went to turn around.. THAT"S when the light came on. i discovered bringing the vehicle to a stop and pumping the pedal a few times caused the light to go out. i proceeded up to the supermarket parking lot and did circles. I discovered the warning light comes on when the vehicle is being turned (right and left) slow and "faster" speeds. the light comes on even if the brakes are not being applied.
so to sum up: the dash warning light comes on when the 90 is turning (regardless of direction or speed) and regardless if the brakes are being applied.

i would assume a sensor???

It's too dark and cold to mess around tonight, but i will check the stuff you guys mentioned tomorrow AM.

But if the turning thing sheds any new light : I would greartly appreciate anyone's input!

thanks again

rick
Old January 4th, 2008, 09:24 PM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

Yes, this is what the "rotate the sensor..." thing does. I got an intermittent light when going down hill. Make sure that your resevoir is topped off first. I can post a pic tomorrow if the explanation doesn't make sense.

-Neil
Old January 4th, 2008, 09:34 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

that really sounds like a fluid level thing to me... like it's right at the sensor level and the things you're describing slosh it off the sensor so it triggers.

I think I'd try that first
Old January 4th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

And also, wires run across the top of the hand brake lever, under the boot. Mine had frayed and the light would come on intermittently.
Old January 4th, 2008, 09:54 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Top up the fluid.
Old January 4th, 2008, 10:22 PM
rickauf
rick aufderheide
95 d 90

Tahnks all,

will top off and check sensor in the am..

if u could post the pic of the direction, that would be great.

lastly.. if i recall right, british vehicals do not take regular DOT3 brake fluid?? what type of fluisd should i pick up at the local auto parts supply? is it girling.. or something like that??
Old January 5th, 2008, 05:26 AM
draaronr
Here
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
Top up the fluid.
take it to the dealer so they can charge you $200 to make the light go away.

top it off, 1 minute and $2 and you are done.
Old January 5th, 2008, 12:00 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steinhnj
The other night I was driving home. It was pitch black, about 15 degrees wind chill and every light just went black. About 15 minutes later and help from phone-a-friend I was back on the road with jumpers in my dash and my headlamp and stocking cap on.
I like to call this "rover-star". I use it all the time too. So much better than onstar!
Quote:
It was an adventure.
I have been thinking of making my sig "Driving to work - it's not a trip, it's an adventure!"
Quote:
I love my Rover unconditionally.
Ahmen

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
brake, ht