Defender Source Forum banner

Newbbie OBD II ?'s

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  kolvedic 
G
#1 ·
Hi All,

We ditched the Freeloader a couple of week back and now have a '97 SW in the drive! - to go along with the 109 & the Disco.

Our genius dealer determined (before we bought it) that the check engine light was on due to a bad ECU that continued to give the "rough road" fault.

They replaced the ECU with a new one....yep, light is still on.

Has anyone had good luck with any of the "reasonably priced" OBD II software applications? I'd really like to view the codes, fix the problem and reset the light myself.

Thanks,

KAA

#3 · (Edited)
For a portable scanner I use an EQUUS INNOVA 3100. Can clear, show pending codes and reads every 5 seconds. It's not perfect: does not have a backlight so reading in the dark is difficult, but it's one of the better units out there.

For a PC based system with continous reading of several functions I use an Autotap AT3.

FYI, there is a recall campaign on this rough road sensor problem, if that is in fact your problem.

G
#5 ·
Sheesh, good question Dave!

I'm so used to the OBD I Disco as my higest level of technonogy that it didn't occur to me that there were more than one computer in the vehicle..

They indicated that the replacement was the bit in the seat box, is that the right thing to do?

I'll run by the dealer at lunchtime and see what they'd like to do next :)

Cheers,

KAA

#6 ·
G
#7 ·
Stopped at the dealer yesterday afternoon and the tech plugs in the hand held scanner thingie.

He reads some codes, unplugs the big cable from the underseat unit pushes some buttons and says that the handheld and the in car computer "can't communicate"; sounds just like home, eh :)

He calls me later last night and says that LRNA tells him he needs to download new software to the vehicle. He doesn't have the software (Disc #14) on hand and we'll have to wait until it arrives in the mail.

Its all an adventure, right ?

Thanks,

KAA

#8 ·
Are they doing this under warranty or something?

#9 ·
artm said:
For a portable scanner I use an EQUUS INNOVA 3100. Can clear, show pending codes and reads every 5 seconds. It's not perfect: does not have a backlight so reading in the dark is difficult, but it's one of the better units out there.

For a PC based system with continous reading of several functions I use an Autotap AT3.

FYI, there is a recall campaign on this rough road sensor problem, if that is in fact your problem.
Arthur, what recall campaign are u talking about? You have any more info on it, cuz I think I got the same problem with my check engine light keep coming back on due to a "rough road" detection.

Thx in advance.

#10 ·
OBDII Code Scanner Recommendation

Hi Guys,

Does anyone out there have a recommendation/experience with OBDII Code Readers that have "live data" display, that you can use with vehicle running? I have heard Equus Innova 3100 is good, but what I can find locally at Sears is the Actron Super Scanner for $279. Definitely have to get one with the live data display feature. Anyone have knowledge of Actron unit or others that work well in our Land Rovers?

Thanks,
Jack Copass
97 D-90SW

#12 ·
I had the same issue with the Rough Road sensor tripping my Engine light. I have a OBDII scanner, which I can't think of the brand off the top of my head, that I used to clear the Engine light. The PO of my '97 SW was told by the dealer that it was a problem with the ECU, software version, etc, etc. That never cleared the problem and the PO never could get the problem fixed. It turned out that it was a bad sensor at the wheel, which I had replaced, and was not nearly as $$$ as replacing the ECU at the dealer.

#13 ·
Keith Armstrong said:
Stopped at the dealer yesterday afternoon and the tech plugs in the hand held scanner thingie.

He reads some codes, unplugs the big cable from the underseat unit pushes some buttons and says that the handheld and the in car computer "can't communicate"; sounds just like home, eh :)
KAA
A common trick is to disconnect the rough road detection ECU before connecting the T4 HTT. Most times once the rough road ECU has been removed from the loop, the T4 will then communicate.

I have seen the fault you describe develop as a result of a bad speed sensor. I have also seen that same fault give quite a headache and ultimately being traced to faulty ground to the rough road ECU.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.