Newb thinking about buying D90-HELP - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 23rd, 2005, 11:22 PM
Todds112
Todd Stanyon

Newb thinking about buying D90-HELP

Ok, so I've always wanted a D90. There is a '94 here locally at a dealer. 64k miles, lifted on 35's. Hard and soft tops. Looks to be in pretty good shape overall. Says the standard tranny was replaced with an auto by a Land Rover dealer.

I thinking of trading my 2003 Jeep Rubicon to get the D90. It will have to be a daily driver.

What am I getting myself into? Will it cost me an arm and leg to maintain it? Are these things reliable? I know it's a 10+ year old car and any used car can have issues, but overall, how temperamental are these things? I am a fairly mechanically inclined person. I installed the lift, auxiliary lighting, etc. on my Jeep.

What should I look for when I test drive it, etc.

I know logically it makes no sense to trade in a 2003 vehicle on a 1994 one, but I've always lusted after and Defender and this one is within my means.

Need advice....Thx.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 24th, 2005, 12:17 AM
Mark M
Mark Mathews
'94 Beluga Black ST

The first thing I would look for is rust. Check the frame, bulkhead (firewall), door botttoms, etc.

Reliable? Depends on the individual truck and it's prior maintenance history and milage. I have found mine to be quite reliable so far. In 1 and 3/4 years that I have had it the only major failure I experienced was a failed water pump.

It is a 10+ year old truck and so there will likely be some issues you will need to address. In particular I would replace the oil cooler lines. If you search this forum for "oil cooler lines" you will see why.

It will always cost more to run than a jeep. It is imported and right now the exchange rate is brutal and the cost of parts reflect that. If you are mechanicaly inclined and can do some of the work yourself you can save a lot.

In the end the important thing is that you have always lusted after a Defender and therefore you shouldn't deprive yourself

Go check it out. Take it out for a spin. Have a mechanic you trust check it out. Take it out for a second test drive. If everything looks good then BUY and enjoy!

Just my $.02

-Oh, just try to remember to wipe the drool off your chin before talking to the salesman. I didn't and could not get them to move on the asking price at all....

Good Luck

-Mark
Old October 24th, 2005, 07:35 AM
Todds112
Todd Stanyon

Just went and looked it over again real well. There is no real rust anywhere. Some minor surface stuff on the tire carrier, etc. I did notice what appear to be spot welds all over the side (in lines). Is this normal?

Like this: . . . . .
. . . . . .

Only visible signs of age of wear is the diamond plate on the front fenders have lost most all the powder coat or paint.

Are 35" tires going to be a problem on the tranny and axles, etc?

Going in at 8am when they open, drool rag in hand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 24th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
is normal.
Old October 24th, 2005, 11:21 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
potential problems with the 35" are possible
Old October 24th, 2005, 11:43 AM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

post lots of pictures interior and exterior (driveline stuff), we can help you with what was modified.
A wang is another word for, you guessed it, A DICK!

Nothing racist, just pure DICK!
Old October 24th, 2005, 12:36 PM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

I dunno, doesnt it get cold in WY?
If its going to be your only vehicle, I'll commit sacrelege by suggesting you keep the jeep instead. As as exTJ owner, the jeep was MUCH warmer in winter, dryer in the rain, etc. If the D was my only vehicle, I'd be kicking myself for trading in the TJ. But thats me.
One more thing - if it doesnt have a rust problem yet and you drive it daily in the winter, I'll bet it will have rust pretty soon.
YMMV.
Old October 24th, 2005, 12:58 PM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

Scott all he will need to do is put in an Aux heater, heated seats, drop curtain, and a heated wind screen.
Then he'll be ready for the winter.

I drove mine as a daily driver for 2 years.
Old October 24th, 2005, 02:22 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron
Scott all he will need to do is put in an Aux heater, heated seats, drop curtain, and a heated wind screen.
Then he'll be ready for the winter.

I drove mine as a daily driver for 2 years.
X2

I was up there in my 90 about 5-6 years ago in January. It was before my heated seats and drop curtain.....
....BRRRRRR
Brother, it gets freakin' cold up there. I like to froze my ass off! For those who haven't been to Jackson in the middle of winter, it's like Fairbanks, AK. Same ice fog even.

The moral of my story, Todd, is that it's do-able but you'll want all the things Ron listed above.

Rod
(greenie)
Old October 24th, 2005, 05:48 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Guessing that I am little more biased, I would go with the Defender... For the winter, get some little shit box with a good heater.

Get it... you only live once.

Old October 24th, 2005, 07:22 PM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90
I agree whole heartedly. Hell, I went from driving a Volvo S60 to driving a D90... Not quite the milage, not quite the ride quality, not quite the creature comforts, but my god well worth it. The D90 is such a fun drive, and such a fun toy to work on
Old October 24th, 2005, 07:57 PM
PT94D90
Phil
Currently Defenderless

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoloco
I dunno, doesnt it get cold in WY?
If its going to be your only vehicle, I'll commit sacrelege by suggesting you keep the jeep instead. As as exTJ owner, the jeep was MUCH warmer in winter, dryer in the rain, etc. If the D was my only vehicle, I'd be kicking myself for trading in the TJ. But thats me.
One more thing - if it doesnt have a rust problem yet and you drive it daily in the winter, I'll bet it will have rust pretty soon.
YMMV.
I've been to Jackson, Wy in the winter and I've spent 3 winters here in O-freaking-hio. It's every bit as cold here. Single digit, low teen highs are the norm and I don't have a problem staying warm in the D-90. I have the Art Vigil drop curtain, fiberglass top and stock heater. I took the vent covers off and my heater cranks. I usually don't even keep the fan on high very long, it gets too hot.

I do agree with the above statement about rust. If you drive it every day in road salt, rust will rear its ugly head. I never drive my 90 on days the salt trucks are out.
Old October 24th, 2005, 09:42 PM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90
Guessing that I am little more biased, I would go with the Defender... For the winter, get some little shit box with a good heater.
Asking the question on a D90 board, what more can you expect?
I still think a voice of reason is needed here
I stand by my statement (and it seems a number of others agree) - if its going to be your only vehicle, stick with the jeep. If you can get something else in addition, then consider it. If you had a CJ, or maybe even YJ I'd say go for it. But coming from a TJ, and a new one at that ..... Well ..... YMMV.
-scott
'94 D90 fun mobile
econo commuter 'shitbox'
ex '97 TJ
Old October 25th, 2005, 12:18 AM
scot
Scot Yount
95 Coniston Green D-90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Hayward
For those who haven't been to Jackson in the middle of winter, it's like Fairbanks, AK. Same ice fog even.
As probably the lone guy on the board who grew up in Fairbanks, Alaska, I will have to disagree with you. I have been to Jackson Hole several times in the winter and believe me, even with the ice fog it ain't no Squarebanks....no way. There is a big difference between the inversion cold of Fairbanks and Jackson Hole let alone Ohio. As a kid I remember minus 78F on the thermometer, not the bull windchill stuff they talk about down here.

And to the gentleman from New Hampshire, I understand why you think his truck will rust in Wyoming, but it won't, because in most places there, they don't use any salt on the roads. It is just too cold for it work, so the rust thing we have in New England is a non issue. I am always suprised that people think all our Alaska cars are rusted when in fact, the interior is a great place to keep an old car because it will never rust, you just have to find a way to keep warm. Which brings up my next point.

Anyone who drives a Defender and decides that they don't want it because it leaks some and might be colder than a Jeep is driving the wrong car in the first place. It ain't about being warm. It's about being in a unique and very capable vehicle that spurs your imagination.
Old October 25th, 2005, 06:23 AM
Todds112
Todd Stanyon

Thanks for the advice, guys. I drove it today. Drove really well. Seemed under powered, though. I suspect they didn't re-gear after the addition of the 35's. I was shocked at how poorly the top fit and sealed. I was driving down the road at 60 MPH with a coooold stream of air blowing right on my knuckles. Even with the heater maxed out, my hands were freezing. Sounded good with the after market exhaust. No clanks or rattles etc. The over size tires did rub bad on the trailing arm at max turn. I had the same issues with my Jeep after the lift, and corrected it with a few washers under the stops. It seemed like if you did that to this thing it would have the turn radius of a school bus!

As for rust. I was amazed when I moved out here at all the old cars around with little to no rust. Even with all the snow we get, in general it is very dry here. We even have really dry snow, if that makes sense. In addition, due to environmental concerns there is no salt used here. Instead of rust you end up with busted windshields due to the "sand" they put down.

PT94D90, oddly enough I just moved here from Dayton, OH last February. It is a different type of cold here. It's not damp. I think 25 in Ohio feels the same as 10-15 here most days. But when it's -26, It's just plain freekin' cold.

Anyway, here's the rest of the story. Dealer would not give me what I wanted for the Jeep (Do they ever?). The D90 is listed on Ebay and they could not sell it outright anyway. I would have to bid on it like everyone else. I just can't swing it under these conditions. I'll post the link to it for your enjoyment.

Maybe someday I will be in a position to consider it again. I must say even with the "eccentricities" it had, after driving it, I want one even more than before.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1994-...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks.
Old October 25th, 2005, 01:30 PM
PT94D90
Phil
Currently Defenderless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todds112
PT94D90, oddly enough I just moved here from Dayton, OH last February. It is a different type of cold here. It's not damp. I think 25 in Ohio feels the same as 10-15 here most days. But when it's -26, It's just plain freekin' cold.
Well, Dayton is 5 hrs south of me and a lot milder. The closer you get to Lake Erie, the worse it gets. I know it's a lot drier out there. I was just trying to convey that you can stay reasonably warm in a D-90 in a pretty cold place. I think Scot Yount made a better point though in his last paragraph. Good luck either way you go.

And Scot, I've been to Fairbanks as well (Eilson AFB) and I wouldn't wish that kinda cold on anyone.
Old October 26th, 2005, 12:43 AM
Todds112
Todd Stanyon

That was my point. What it says on the thermometer isn't how it actually feels out here. I actually do think that 15 in Ohio "feels" much colder than here.

Anyway, I see it finally sold for 23,100. Probably wasn't too bad a deal, oh well.

Thanks again.
Old October 26th, 2005, 12:57 AM
scot
Scot Yount
95 Coniston Green D-90 SW

I am glad you love the Rover's quirks...I do too...if you don't and drive one anyway....you need to have your head examined...which btw...I guess we all do under any scenario....
Old October 26th, 2005, 07:47 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

[QUOTE=scot]As probably the lone guy on the board who grew up in Fairbanks, Alaska, I will have to disagree with you. I have been to Jackson Hole several times in the winter and believe me, even with the ice fog it ain't no Squarebanks....no way. There is a big difference between the inversion cold of Fairbanks and Jackson Hole let alone Ohio. As a kid I remember minus 78F on the thermometer, not the bull windchill stuff they talk about down here.

Granted, Scot. That was a poor example on my part.
With a mean temperature of -10 for the month of January in Fairbanks compared to +10 in Jackson, I would call that a significant difference.
The point I was trying to make was that temperatures in Jackson are atypically low for Wyoming. Just as Anchorage isn't Squarebanks, Jackson isn't Cheyenne either. I have a couple examples closer to home too. I think we can all agree Colorado, in general, has mild winters. However, Taylor Park has an average low daily temperature in winter of -10, and Fraser's average temperature for the entire year is +32 with 317 days a year that it gets below freezing! Jackson is in a similar geographical setting to these places.

Cleveland is up by Lake Erie with a mean temperature of +26 for the month of January and has an all time low temperature of -20. When compared to a record low for Wyoming, just up the road from Jackson, in Yellowstone of -66, its hard to imagine that its as cold in Ohio. But then I've never been there and couldn't judge.

If it really does feel colder there, you have my simpathy....

Just living in Ohio should be punishment enough.
Old October 26th, 2005, 08:31 PM
PT94D90
Phil
Currently Defenderless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Hayward
Just living in Ohio should be punishment enough.

You got that right, brother.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, buying, d90