Newb Door Lock Problem - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 16th, 2015, 02:01 PM
LostChord
Brian
86 D110 SW

Registry
Newb Door Lock Problem

Hello all,

Received our 86 110 SW last week! Sweet!

Among many other things, noticed that we can not get the door locks to work on any of the 4 doors (have not yet looked at the rear door). It might be the same problem for all 4, so we've got that going for us, or it might be that I'm an idiot. Either way, need some helps please!

Door lock up: can use the interior and exterior door handles to open the doors no problem.

Door lock down: can use the interior and exterior door handles to open the doors no problem.

What kind of voodoo magic is this??

Thanks

- brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 16th, 2015, 02:24 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
is the issue the same with the key as well or only the plunger?
Old April 16th, 2015, 02:31 PM
LostChord
Brian
86 D110 SW

Registry
OK - just went outside and tried it. After fumbling with the key for a few minutes to find out which one actually goes in the door, I found the right one. Whew.

Ironically, the key works. It will in fact lock the front driver's side door; but, wait for it,...the plunger doesn't move when you use the key.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 16th, 2015, 02:34 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostChord View Post
OK - just went outside and tried it. After fumbling with the key for a few minutes to find out which one actually goes in the door, I found the right one. Whew.

Ironically, the key works. It will in fact lock the front driver's side door; but, wait for it,...the plunger doesn't move when you use the key.
sounds like one of the arms is dis-connected. start pulling it apart and fixing it ... do this before you find the 500 other things that will comprise the activities of higher priority ...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old April 16th, 2015, 02:40 PM
LostChord
Brian
86 D110 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
sounds like one of the arms is dis-connected. start pulling it apart and fixing it ...
Thanks Jason - I will pull it apart and give it a go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
... do this before you find the 500 other things that will comprise the activities of higher priority ...
We're prepping ourselves for the joy of the higher priority activities that are sure to follow
Old April 16th, 2015, 02:40 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostChord View Post

I'd take the good with the bad, I am pretty sure my 83 lift up doors behaved the same way and I just lived with it.

Option B is take it apart, you should see the issue pretty quickly
Old April 16th, 2015, 02:47 PM
LostChord
Brian
86 D110 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPT90 View Post
I'd take the good with the bad, I am pretty sure my 83 lift up doors behaved the same way and I just lived with it.

Option B is take it apart, you should see the issue pretty quickly

Yep, you're probably right JT. But even with the working key in the driver's door, none of the other locks are functioning

In the grand scheme of 110 ownership, this in the low priority list, but we'd like to be able to lock the truck at some point...
Old July 12th, 2015, 08:59 PM
cowboy
steven
'84 110 & '90 127 LHD 2-carb V8's

Just haunting old threads to work thru my 1st Defender ever issues. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but for fellow newbs unable to lock their latch style door locks, try rotating the key clockwise 180 degrees as in the universal modern normal scenario, but then pull the key out rather than returning the key to the original vertical postion to pull it out, which apparently simply re-unlocks it on these. My back end door works the modern way for some reason. Go figger.
Old July 12th, 2015, 10:01 PM
icnsltmfg
Adam
1988 D90 RHD 19J

Registry
The rods tend to shake loose and are sometimes missing the "lock" tabs which you should be able to buy at almost any auto parts place...

2017 Range Rover L405 HSE TD6
2008 Range Rover HSE L322/MkIII - Gone but not forgotten
1988 D90 County RHD 2.5TD
2015 Porsche Cayenne TD

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
door