New User - and Q about importing a 200tdi - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 1st, 2008, 08:58 AM
turbodave
Dave C
1983 110

Smile New User - and Q about importing a 200tdi

Hi all,
First, an introduction:
I've been into Landrovers since i was a little nipper back in England, but my interest waned a little when i got into minis instead in my late teens. I moved out to this great country in late 2004 - bringing the minis with me - and my interest in LandRovers has now increased again (i never really lost interest - just that minis interested me more LOL)! I've even still got a '57 series 1 (the 116th ever diesel LR) in a barn at my dads in the UK as well - complete with 6-spline rear PTO which we used to occasionally use to do the mowing when the tractors were busy / laid up...

Anyways - I've recently purchased an '83 110 CSW in good shape over in the UK, but with the original 2.25 diesel (not even the 2.5 LOL). The vehicle will be 25 in March, so that's when it'll be on a ship heading to out here.
I also have a 200tdi sat in a barn, complete with a later power-steering system (the 110 has no PAS).

Importing the 110 is no challenge, but the engine is something that seems to be a 'grey area'... Some are telling me engines have to be 25, others are telling me they dont neccesarilly have to be.

If it makes a difference, the vehicle and engine are going to be shipped seperately, so not on the same bill-of-landing and actually in seperate ships as the 110 will go RoRo, and it's looking like the engine would be easier to have shipped to my home than collected at the docks.

So, has anyone any experience on this aspect of engine age requirements for import? I'm thinking that as i live in a 'slack' state as far as emmisions goes (Michigan) then I shouldn't have any real problems...

Hello once again,
and thanks, in advance, for your comments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 1st, 2008, 10:42 AM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

I don't see a problem if the vehicle is a legitimate '83 model.
Old February 1st, 2008, 11:05 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
EPA is the only agency that cares what engine you import.

engines for road use have to be 21

for non road going equipment they have to be 17.

All this information is available on the web, at the EPA website.

Be mindful that there are new rules that took effect 1/1/2007, that is what you need to be looking at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodave
Hi all,
First, an introduction:
I've been into Landrovers since i was a little nipper back in England, but my interest waned a little when i got into minis instead in my late teens. I moved out to this great country in late 2004 - bringing the minis with me - and my interest in LandRovers has now increased again (i never really lost interest - just that minis interested me more LOL)! I've even still got a '57 series 1 (the 116th ever diesel LR) in a barn at my dads in the UK as well - complete with 6-spline rear PTO which we used to occasionally use to do the mowing when the tractors were busy / laid up...

Anyways - I've recently purchased an '83 110 CSW in good shape over in the UK, but with the original 2.25 diesel (not even the 2.5 LOL). The vehicle will be 25 in March, so that's when it'll be on a ship heading to out here.
I also have a 200tdi sat in a barn, complete with a later power-steering system (the 110 has no PAS).

Importing the 110 is no challenge, but the engine is something that seems to be a 'grey area'... Some are telling me engines have to be 25, others are telling me they dont neccesarilly have to be.

If it makes a difference, the vehicle and engine are going to be shipped seperately, so not on the same bill-of-landing and actually in seperate ships as the 110 will go RoRo, and it's looking like the engine would be easier to have shipped to my home than collected at the docks.

So, has anyone any experience on this aspect of engine age requirements for import? I'm thinking that as i live in a 'slack' state as far as emmisions goes (Michigan) then I shouldn't have any real problems...

Hello once again,
and thanks, in advance, for your comments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 1st, 2008, 11:11 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
The more pieces its in, the easier to import. I havent heard of anyone that's had problems, even with the new reg, but better safe than sorry. Rebuild your engine here for best results.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old February 1st, 2008, 11:13 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
I havent heard of anyone that's had problems
Oh I have... No EPA certification on a couple Tdis engines we imported... they all got sent back.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old February 1st, 2008, 11:21 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs
Shipping them seperate is key. A loose engine shouldn't be a problem.
These were loose engines, not trucks and engines.
EPA sent them back to UK when we could not produce certification papers. They had the engine #s and checked with International and found out they were not EPA certified.
They even hassled us about importing Rover V8s. I had to sign all kinds of BS in order to get them in and the looney Customs guy tried to tell me that if I wanted to replace a V8 I had to replace it with one made the same year as the car. This isn't true, it just has to be the same specification, but he was the Customs guy, so I lost the debate. V8s got in... barely and Tdis all got sent back to the UK.

In 90% of the cases you'll have no issue. But if you get a Customs dude in a bad mood... they own you.

Old February 1st, 2008, 11:25 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
Oh I have... No EPA certification on a couple Tdis engines we imported... they all got sent back.
Ok, I have now.

Nevertheless, engines get through, but I'm not trying to say "do whatever, it'll be OK." Best to break it down.

Old February 1st, 2008, 11:28 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
engines get through, but I'm not trying to say "do whatever, it'll be OK." Best to break it down.
Agreed 100%... as long as you aren't as high profile as we are you'll "likely" have zero issues.

Old February 1st, 2008, 11:44 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

I have a defender 200 tdi with transmission and transfer case available if you don't want to ship one from UK separate. You can PM about it.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old February 1st, 2008, 03:01 PM
turbodave
Dave C
1983 110

Cheers all,
I have no worries what so ever about the vehicle itself - this is a genuine 1983 CSW, galavnised body cappings and all

The 200tdi is out of the disco, and sat at my dads farm, so I reckon i'm going to have a go at this. At least I'll learn one way or other...

Cheers,
Dave
Old February 1st, 2008, 03:07 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
why not swap the 2.25 for the tdi before shipping over ? In my experience the customs man probably wouldn't know the difference under the hood.
Old February 1st, 2008, 03:23 PM
turbodave
Dave C
1983 110

Yeah - I'm trying to find someone who will do this for me right now... The weak dollar makes the UK-sourced garage rate very expensive however; especially when I can do it all myself!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
200tdi, import, tdi