New to the site but not Rovers; need advice - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 22nd, 2012, 08:58 PM
N901
Leif Cefalo
None

New to the site but not Rovers; need advice

Hi All,
New to this forum as I've been bitten by the land rover bug again. Bought a 95 classic from Copley in 2001. Sold that after a few years and some aggravating repairs. Loved that truck. Anyway, fast forward to now and I have been waiting for the new 2013 F-150's and rams to come out and replace my current 2005 F-150. But then I got to thinking, why don't I keep the pickup as it still looks great and only has 120k miles on it and get back into a rover. I've always wanted a D90 but the prices have deterred me. Now I see Copley has a 94 with 100k miles on it and yesterday a guy locally posted a red 94 (you can see posts in the sales section - D90 in Waltham). What do you guys think of this plan? If you've seen these vehicles what do you think of them? Need some advice so any help would be appreciated.

Reached out to Stuart and Keith at Copley but have yet to hear. Need to call the guy with the Waltham truck back tomorrow.

Thanks,
Leif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 22nd, 2012, 09:03 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Not knocking Copley, but if price is what deterred you from D90's in the past, I am not sure that buying a truck from them is a very economical decision. You should be able to find a non rusty, good runner 94/95 Soft Top with like 100k for low to mid $20k's, it wont be a mint truck, but definetley good shape.
Old August 22nd, 2012, 09:06 PM
N901
Leif Cefalo
None

Thanks for the quick reply. Is it crazy to buy one ofhese with 100k miles on it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 22nd, 2012, 09:07 PM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by N901 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. Is it crazy to buy one ofhese with 100k miles on it?
No...they are going on 20 years old...100k is low milage :-)

I bought mine with 165k...and loving it.

Dave

Current Rovers:
1994 D-90 ST #734
2006 LR3
2016 RRS

Past Rovers:
1997 Disco I
1988 Range Rover 40th Anniversary
1999 Disco II
1995 D-90 ST #2731
1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE Vitesse
2003 Range Rover HSE
2008 RRS
2013 RRS
Old August 23rd, 2012, 08:23 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

You will pay silly money for a truck with mileage lower than 100K. If the truck has been maintained the engine will go on for much longer. The main thing I would look at is the rust and to what degree the truck has it.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 08:27 AM
N901
Leif Cefalo
None

Makes sense. Thanks for the replays. Definitely want one with AC. What's the consensus on automatic vs manual. Looks like anything from 94/95 is going to be manual and 97 will be automatic. Other than a 97 being much more expensive is there any other concerns/thoughts? Also, I have always envisioned a soft top as the way to go. Any thoughts there aside from leakage?

Thanks everyone!
Old August 23rd, 2012, 08:49 AM
Giffstone
Drew Tomkinson
1997 NAS Defender 90 SW #0369

Registry
Have Patience

Just a thought here but unless you have to have one ASAP and it doesn't seen like you do, have some patience and look carefully because there are still some really good deals out there to be had on these trucks especially in summer resort places when the season winds down (Nantucket, MV, Newport R.I. etc....) The main killer as mentioned above is the rust issue but don't let that deter you because most times it's just a rear cross member which is easily replaced by a competent shop for under $750.00 in a a day or so. Being that you are a MA guy, if you don't know City Side Garage in Holliston, they are a great place for both inspections and repairs for a potential future purchase. As to your Soft Top question and it's usability, I live on the Cape and drove a '95 soft top 90 (5 spd) exclusively year round for several years and it was great after I added a Badger Coachworks 1/2 cab soft top..... it halved the spaced to be heated and sealed my truck far better then the original OEM full length top. I now own a station wagon and personally agree that the soft top gives far greater flexibility and are the way to go if your heart is telling you. After several years of being away from Rovers until recently myself I can tell you that you have joined a great and very supportive community!!
Old August 23rd, 2012, 09:13 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
you'll learn a ton more searching "auto vs. manual" on here as well as other terms in the interim to having us answer all the questions here, as they're covered to great extent all over this board.

You'll want to broaden your search to include outside Mass if rust is a concern. That red one is for sale through a board member who just bought it from another individual who bought it from another board member, who bought it from another board member last year. Not sure why it's getting passed around so much, but it was a nice truck last I saw it.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 10:26 AM
N901
Leif Cefalo
None

Thanks again. Definitely familiar with City Side. Converted my classic to springs when the airbags finally went. You're right, I don't "need" to pull the trigger quickly so I can be selective and find the right vehicle.

I'll do some searching on auto vs manual, thanks for the advice.

Leif

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions