New to RURR. How do you "qualify"? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 12th, 2014, 12:00 AM
samer0214
Samer Hijazi
1997 P38 Vitesse

Registry
New to RURR. How do you "qualify"?

I am trying to strike a deal on a roof rack for my D110, but shipping charges are way too high, as it would have to ship from Washington DC to Southern California.

Is it possible to RURR something this big from coast to coast?
Is it too much to ask anyone?
I am fairly new to this forum and this community, and have not contributed nearly as much as most on this forum. Even if something like this could be arranged in "phases" or "legs", do I even "qualify"? Am I out of place to even expect something like this?

Feel free to be as candid as you can. I have thick skin.

Thank you - Samer
Defenderless, for now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 12th, 2014, 12:12 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

You just post the need and hopefully someone is doing a run like that. You may have to bump it everyday. There are low cost shipping solutions. Greyhound bus being one of them.
Old July 12th, 2014, 12:22 AM
samer0214
Samer Hijazi
1997 P38 Vitesse

Registry
Bill, thank you for the tip. I checked Greyhound and the rack does not meet their maximum size limits. It is wider than what they can handle.
Defenderless, for now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 12th, 2014, 12:32 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Fastenal will ship damn near anything that doesn't contain a liquid or an explosive. I think a roof rack falls well within their requirements.
Old July 12th, 2014, 12:58 AM
samer0214
Samer Hijazi
1997 P38 Vitesse

Registry
The rack in question is the full size Slimline II Front Runner for the D110. The issue is not finding who can/will ship it, it's the cost involved.

I've already checked with a couple of freight companies (such as Fastenal) and the quotes I got were between $300 and $350. Add to that the asking price of the rack, makes it way too expensive. The only way would be to RURR it at this point.
Defenderless, for now!
Old July 12th, 2014, 04:06 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Tried Uship?

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old July 12th, 2014, 07:04 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
$300 sounds high but I guess that's because of the size, not the weight. Someone got a quote to ship an entire engine from fastenal recently and it was ~$300. Don't remember the shipping points though.

What are you trying to come in at for shipping? You basically picked shipping points as far away from one another as possible in the same country. Are you looking to be under $100? Under $200? Under $300?
Old July 12th, 2014, 07:25 AM
samer0214
Samer Hijazi
1997 P38 Vitesse

Registry
Yes, size is the issue, not weight, the rack only weighs 80lbs. If you think $300 is a lot, try pricing it with Fedex or UPS Freight. They both quoted me over $650 and that's with a preferred rate!

In order for this to make sense based on what the seller is asking for the rack, I would like to be under $100. Not sure if this is possible, so it's looking like I will just walk away from this deal and look for a rack in my area of Southern California.
Defenderless, for now!
Old July 12th, 2014, 07:33 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

well you could get it across country pretty much for free, but it might take 6 or 8 months and you'd owe a couple of favors. you have folks traveling from DC to Asheville. NC. in October, and folks traveling from west to Asheville in October...that gets it halfway...just a beginning thought...it can be done. I'll bet Payne would store it for a beer, I'd store it for a month or so...
Old July 12th, 2014, 07:40 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
the unfortunate thing is that you couldn't get sub $100 shipping from washington dc to fairfax. let alone california.

my recommendation would be to call a roof rack manufacturer like frontline or a big retailer and ask them for how they ship their racks. my guess is that they would know the cheapest methods.
Old July 12th, 2014, 07:52 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
the unfortunate thing is that you couldn't get sub $100 shipping from washington dc to fairfax. let alone california.

my recommendation would be to call a roof rack manufacturer like frontline or a big retailer and ask them for how they ship their racks. my guess is that they would know the cheapest methods.
X2 that's a good idea if you can get that info...the fact is it can be done for little cost but what are your trade off's...oh and Pedro would most likely bring it to Aseville IF you let him put his tent on it for that event!
Old July 12th, 2014, 08:37 AM
Scottyoh
Enigma RnR
'87 127"
D-90 Source Vendor

Fastenal has never been able to ship anything into California for me. They almost always tell me there is no room on their trucks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 12th, 2014, 09:44 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Forward Air. I shipped a NAS 110 roof basket from San Diego to Baltimore for $120 with them.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions